Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By marc26
  • 1 Post By marc26

Thread: From Sex Worker to Seamstress: The High Cost of Cheap Clothes

From Sex Worker to Seamstress: The High Cost of Cheap Clothes

Flash of a face I recognize in here..

Horrible economics..

its a well done report on a very touchy subject...

A girl in Patong was telling me she used to work at a factory that made Gant clothing and also one that made jeans , the work was really hard and working in the Bar was a much better idea for her , interesting film
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Thanks LIL.
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

A girl that I spent some time with at one of the Tiger bars on Bangla also said she had left a job at an electronics company to work in the bar.

We are somewhat having this debate onTD about prostitution and exploitation

And I fall on the side that things aren't as rosy as guys want to make themselves believe

But.......I do believe just to let them handle it themselves
    All we do is Fcuk it up when we stick our uninformed beak in things
    billpay and TLandHim like this.

I say things arent as rosy as guys may want to believe.. But they are even less rosey in other occupations, or they would do them..

As to Cambodia.. Its even harsher.. The economic options are really not there, while in Thailand I think however harsh an assessment, it comes down to pure laziness and poor choices in the vast majority of cases.. In Thailand there is work, work that pays enough to survive if not prosper.. But in Cambo there really isnt a choice, the kind of wages being paid simply dont provide room and rice, let alone anything else.

It wasnt so long ago one of the charities was producing "dont talk to me about sewing machines" T shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by BroTiger View Post
    A girl that I spent some time with at one of the Tiger bars on Bangla also said she had left a job at an electronics company to work in the bar.
    I have met many uni grads, ex office workers, etc etc in the bars.. Quite simply its better paid and 'easier' for them.

Is it roses ?? Of course not.. But very few jobs really are..

I'd watched other investigative reports on Cambodia's garment industry... it seemed like sweat-shop/borderline endentured servitude no matter where they went. Lots of underage workers, unsafe conditions, inhuman hours, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    I'd watched other investigative reports on Cambodia's garment industry... it seemed like sweat-shop/borderline endentured servitude no matter where they went. Lots of underage workers, unsafe conditions, inhuman hours, etc.
    The problem is its not only the garment industry.. I saw this with my ex's sisters trying to do other things than be in bars.. one doing a school computer course in the evening before coming to work (cashier) in the bar.. trying to have a day job, evening course and night job.. Salary of 80 bucks a month and a room costing more than half that.

Of course if shes halfway a looker she might snag a foreign guy to take her out the country (where so many Thais would rather stay) and then the other side of that I also saw, where someone young and pretty sets up with an expat, lives a highish end western life bouncing around in asia for a few years then he gets bored and she ends up coming back, now with western tastes and experiences, but older and with the same no job options.

It really is just that much exponentially harder there than here.. On loads of levels..

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I have met many uni grads, ex office workers, etc etc in the bars.. Quite simply its better paid and 'easier' for them.

Is it roses ?? Of course not.. But very few jobs really are..

my current "regular" has been in the bar for 3 weeks...not a lick of english but very pretty, smoking body and still has that little girl lost innocence about her..but she sure knows what she is doing in the bedroom and gives it her all 555

she is a qualified dental nurse (showed me her diploma and photos of her in uniform and in surgery online) and worked at this for 6-7 years in BKK (Bumrungrad was the last gig)...she told me that she earned 15K a month which I guess here is not bad money but she said that she needs at least 10K to support ma, pa and her 2 kids and the 5K she had left over for rent/food/clothes/transport/entertainment etc in BKK just didn't work...so she did a bit of FLing at Climax from time to time on her weekends and from there she decided to join a friend working Climax FT (also very hot but not sure how to waggle both of them 555) who was coming down here for High Season

She told me that so far she has earned 38K just from customers and drinks alone (she only drinks juice FFS)...5k was her highest night and 2k her lowest...she wont get her pay until the 1st of Nov but that is only 5K... and this is in the lowest of low seasons atm...so she is surely in demand..she should do well in Peak Season coming up 555

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    my current "regular" has been in the bar for 3 weeks...not a lick of english but very pretty, smoking body and still has that little girl lost innocence about her..but she sure knows what she is doing in the bedroom and gives it her all 555

she is a qualified dental nurse (showed me her diploma and photos of her in uniform and in surgery online) and worked at this for 6-7 years in BKK (Bumrungrad was the last gig)...she told me that she earned 15K a month which I guess here is not bad money but she said that she needs at least 10K to support ma, pa and her 2 kids and the 5K she had left over for rent/food/clothes/transport/entertainment etc in BKK just didn't work...so she did a bit of FLing at Climax from time to time on her weekends and from there she decided to join a friend working Climax FT (also very hot but not sure how to waggle both of them 555) who was coming down here for High Season

She told me that so far she has earned 38K just from customers and drinks alone (she only drinks juice FFS)...5k was her highest night and 2k her lowest...she wont get her pay until the 1st of Nov but that is only 5K... and this is in the lowest of low seasons atm...so she is surely in demand..she should do well in Peak Season coming up 555
    I don't know how these professional jobs seem to be falling behind manual jobs in pay.
    All my BIL's make in the 15-25k range and none of them have high school diplomas.

^ Nurses (and women) are notoriously underpaid all around the world I guess....at 15K she was making almost double min wage though (based on 6 days a week at 300 a day = 7800 a month) ...plenty of TGs would kill for that

she said that she doesn't really like/want to work bar but atm will try to make as much as she can and try to get ahead over high season....she has an OK room (additional to her 5K monthly bar stipend) and is sharing with just her GF and they do hang out a lot together...maybe she has just sort of seen it as holiday/adventure atm...and things could get tough if she runs into some asshole customers...but she's a pretty smart little cookie and underneath the seeming innocence there is a brain working overtime

she really likes Samui however...despite it making her dam dam 555....so she is thinking about looking about the island and enquiring with some of the dentists once HS is over...but she fears that they may pay even less here

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    ^ Nurses (and women) are notoriously underpaid all around the world I guess....at 15K she was making almost double min wage though (based on 6 days a week at 300 a day = 7800 a month) ...plenty of TGs would kill for that

e
    My point was it seems like those entry level jobs with Uni qualifications have seemed to stagnate salary wise.
    Like before their 15-20k jobs dwarfed that of the factory worker/labor job but now those jobs seem to be paying as much to more.

You mentioned min wage but no one in Ao's circle makes even close to min wage now.....all pretty much double or a lot more while the hotel receptionist is probably still on 15k/mo

Just weird how that changed a bit.

My BIL just started his own contracting business. A month in he had to turn down a job that would have seen him clear a couple 100k for himself after expense because it was too big of a job for him and he smartly turned it down.
    Just amazed at how much money is out there these days for people who not long ago seemed stuck in their lot in life of that min wage 7-10k/mo

My MIL has become the go to person for odd jobs in their middle class enclave they live in......again amazed at the money peoplehave to pay her for these jobs.Coming to her all the time for this or that and to be honest.....I think she could get away with charging them more

All pretty good to see
    Last edited by marc26; 31st October 2014 at 01:45.
    nelsonone likes this.

I agree with both of those observations..

Thailand does have a lot of upward price pressure on well performing people.. And that entry type salaried jobs have not yet caught up.. If min wage hadnt risen they would still be paying a section of the population 6k baht a month.

That said many basic food items have risen so much.. Given the small portions and frequency thais eat out (street food maybe but still not home cooked), its a wonder how they afford it.

That said many basic food items have risen so much.. Given the small portions and frequency thais eat out (street food maybe but still not home cooked), its a wonder how they afford it.[/QUOTE]

I'd say my MIL is a pretty good carer...very domesticated
    But she never cooks, ever
    They just get street food every night.

I know before it was just cheaper but I wouldn't know the economics of it now.
    Like if I cook at home.....it is so much cheaper than eating out. With leftovers for lunch considered

It is a lot cheaper to eat at home, but then theres time involved.. We never used to cook much when we lived in Phuket and more urban places.. Here I am outside the city and though there is a very handy food court just a couple of Ks up the road we cook much more. Partly because of better ingredients and health issues too.

I just often look around me, and see how much Thais eat this kind of cooked food and wonder.. It used to be a 'something and rice' was like 25 / 30b.. Its now much more often 40 or 50 and if its a little bit nicer a place it can be 60 - 80 easy. Now while thats still cheap, if 2 people are eating its very common to have 3 or 4 dishes plus rice as servings are more snack like.. Thats pushing it up over the 200b.. Thats one cheap snack meal..

Moo Ga Ta.. The BBQ and buffet setups.. Those used to be 99b.. I remember the 'posh one' we would go to in Phuket was 120.. Well one Bee goes to in town sometimes is 220 or so.. Thats more than 100% rise in a few years.

Again Look at that meal cost, as a function of earning potential for normal Thais.. They eat 3 to 5 times a day.. Small meals at 50 baht maybe, but with a decent meal in the night often socially.. Well just the food cost of that is more than a days wages for a lot of segments of the population. Or a manual workers days wage is 3 large beers in the same kind of restaurant.

Kind of surprised at the BKK salary level. Taky will be looking at 12K to start in CM once she graduates and gets her dental certification (actually already been offered a job, but I told her she needs to finish school first)... then she thinks she can make 15K with OT (very common).

We once talked about BKK after she graduated and she reckoned she could make 20K there.

What's also surprising to me is the amount and kinds of people wanting to be dental techs... I'd guess about half of her class has 4 year degrees in other fields, but came back to school to do something more practical, saying they couldnt get a job that earned enough in their own field.
    Last edited by WarProfiteer; 31st October 2014 at 11:45.