Thread: Cambodia Scams..

Cambodia Scams..

holiday in cambodia | The Laurelbury Tales

I know I should feel sorry for them.. But really ?? I mean how dumb and naive do you need to be.. and then when you know its a scam, to keep going and willing hand over stuff..

The possibility that your life is merely a warning for others does come to mind.

Even more so when the blogger is a woman. Gambling and cards seem to be a no-no in a lot of Asian countries. I found one of her last piece of advice comments to be a bit odd, the one where she says these people feed off your politeness and there's an element of truth in this but I think it's better advice just to be firm and not necessarily rude as this can escalate a situation quite unnecessarily.

It brings back memories of my last day in PP when I was in a family mart getting a few supplies for the bus trip to Siem Reap when an older guy behind me in the queue just started a conversation with me, asking me where I was from and when I told him he was of course going to Ireland on his next trip. I think he said he was from Hawaii but certainly didn't look Hawaiian to me. He walked outside to me and wanted to know if I'd time to get something to eat so I could tell him more about Ireland, I just said my bus was leaving in 30 minutes so I couldn't go with him. It's always useful to have a ready made excuse to get out of situations like that, like going to meet a friend or a bus or going to the cinema or something just to have a regular excuse to easily get out of things. If the friendly person persists it will highlight that this is the entry to a scam.

It's morally wrong to allow a sucker to keep his money.
    W. C. Fields

Is the article for real or is it some kind of satire?

Quote Originally Posted by [CENTER
    loloyohe I bought the Lonely Planet,
    First mistake..

Kudos to her for putting it in her blog. If it ever happened to me I would keep quiet out of embarrassment alone.

Where I work in Central London I have to often walk over Westminster Bridge back to Waterloo which is notorious spot for Eastern Euros playing the Shell Game. I'm amazed in this day and age to still see tourists being suckered into it.