Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Private Car Transfers ex Phnom Phen to Siem Riep

Private Car Transfers ex Phnom Phen to Siem Riep

So I have my flights and acomodation finally booked for my first up-coming Cambodia trip with the only thing left to arrange is the private car trip to get me to Siem Riep and then back again to Phnom Phen which I am planning to do when I get there. I have noticed that with all parties I have come into contact with whilst booking my trip, they have urged me to book my private car transfer now as it will be supposedly high season when I arrive (October) and therefore private car availbility is an issue along with prices which are supposely also significantly higher.

I don't know if they are taking the piss and trying to get more $$$ out of me as from my understanding based on what others here have paid ($55-60 each way) the prices they are quoting are ridiculous with the cheapest offer to date being US $125 each way.

The private car availbility is my main concern but secondly the prices I've been quoted against what some of the others here have claimed to have paid are not even close.... am I missing something here????

Can anyone verify if what what I am being told is indeed true or should I stick to my guns and haggle the cost / arrange it all there??

$125 is bollox. I've not been for a couple of years but they are yanking your chain at that. Sort it when you are there, it won't be a problem and will cost you $50 or so.

I'm sure someone has more current info than me but that would be my expectation.

I paid $70 last year (it was a holiday though iirc) but have had it a little less than that in the past

Normally they are asking $45-$50 for Snooky these days which is a bit less in time/K's iirc
    Last edited by nelsonone; 2nd July 2013 at 10:00.

Do they start their high season a month earlier in Cambodia??? if not they are yanking his chain on that as well!!!!
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Think we payed about 40$ to S.ville 7 years ago with the worst driver ever....made Thai drivers look professionals 555. Needless to say we took the bus back to PP (with a slightly better driver)

40 - 50 for S.Ville in a good late model high quality camry..

60 or 65 is normal for PP SR. Tho they can try for more, we were quoted 80 (I refused) when we were flying into SR to then go straight to PP, the taxis at the airport said 120 etc and it was late so buggered us up.

Those are Khmer girls getting the prices so I am assuming that would be bottom bid for a westerner sorting it.

I imagine $120 is the hotel car though...our prices above are with local taxi companies who ply these routes and they are negotiated by CGs/people in the know (as LiL said)...
    Last edited by nelsonone; 2nd July 2013 at 18:50. Reason: CG's not TGs

TG's or CG's??? same same but different I suppose.
    Lost in LOS likes this.
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Another thing to say is.. Specify a good car..

One time a girl was on the phone, and pushed the price hard, and 15 mins later someone turned up in a beaten old jalopy.. Weak barely there AC, smaller car, etc etc.. We just refused it point blank and I think paid an extra 5 or 10 bucks and the next car to arrive was a decent couple of year old camry..

Know what your getting and or refuse any crap.

most of the taxi company cars I have used in Cambo have been pretty well kept 5-10 yo old Camry's

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    Think we payed about 40$ to S.ville 7 years ago with the worst driver ever....made Thai drivers look professionals 555. Needless to say we took the bus back to PP (with a slightly better driver)
    +1 for the bus, $10 and pain free ( and safe! ) when we did it that way.

Thanks all for your advise and summary of experiences + prices paid. I now know that I was indeed having my chain yanked and to think that they were also claiming that their high season starts an entire months ahead of Thailands?? Gotta hand it to them for trying - I will most definately arranging the transfer when I'm there.

By the way, I was quoted these prices and feed the same BS by a Cambodian Travel agency, A private Taxi service and the Hotel where I'm staying in PP. Good to see their BS is at least consistant unlike LOS 55555

Bus trip is maybe 30 mins quicker than a car ... ALL cars in Cambo are Camry's ... and if sitting up top at front the bus affords a 1st class view of what's about to-but-doesn't-quite-wipe-you-out.

Disregard seasonal BS, all of Asia is behind the 8-ball, and you'll get a cheap rate if negotiated in-country ... caveat emptor.
    Cheers, Rob.

I think the car is quicker than the bus.. At least the ones we have taken would be hard pressed to be beaten by any bus.

I saw a post somewhere recently (not in here iirc) where a BM quoted it took him 6 hours on the bus...car is typically about 4 depending on the time of day and that drops you at your hotel door....no getting tuk tuks after a long bus journey

My typo ... meant 'slower' ... by bus, or about 30 mins faster by car. Buses stop for lunch along the way.
    Cheers, Rob.

Are the buses in good knick... ie. do they have decent air con and all that jazz? Prefer the private car but my haggling skills are rubbish so may end up taking the bus to save myself some serious $$$$!!

Bus we took was good, very modern, and had a cute chick looking after us

Quote Originally Posted by steve@thaib View Post
    bus we took was good, very modern, and had a cute chick looking after us
    sold!!! 55555

Theres a new posh company.. Cant remember the name now but will once the coffee kicks in.. A fair bit above average, cold drinks and niceties.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast