Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NeedHoliday
  • 1 Post By dlew

Thread: Last minute trip to PP! Halp!

Last minute trip to PP! Halp!

Hey guys,

Just made a last minute change to my holiday and booked a flight to PP for 7 nights. I'm scouring Agoda right now and using the map in the nightlife thread for guidance, but if anyone can recommend a hotel not too far from any bars then let me know. I wasn't planning on the trip so I have around $100/day for everything. Hopefully that's doable with a nice hotel, and I'm not really planning on any tourist stuff - just to relax and make a change from Thailand.

Ohana is looking nice, but maybe pushing my funds with the hidden taxes on Agoda.

100 a day is kinda lean but doable..

Default option I tend to say the Cali 2.. Location and owner more than rooms..

Otherwise WP's Cambo threads have reviewed a few places quite nicely..

PM sent.....

Just been in Ohana and it is a great location I booked thru booking.com so no hidden charges and u pay on checkout, lots of nice places to eat near to shops and markets and walkable in the evening to streets 102/104 for nightlife , id get a tuk tuk back though its bloody dark in pp at night.

^ nice hotel but how much did you pay per night DP....I think it might just eat up a little too much of NH's $100 a day budget

My advice for $100/day in PP... stay at a cheaper place. Jim's cheapest rooms are $27/night at Cali 2, which is a decent choice. However, there are ok choices that are even cheaper. Look over on Patts Addicts for cheap-o recommendations.

Try mixing in the street food w/ your regular meals. That pork & rice vendor just outside the door of Golden House was a great option... hard to beat $1 pork & rice plates. I'd normally do 2 and only eat half the rice... it was enough to fill me and hard to beat the $2/meal price tag. KFC will run ya about $3-$4/meal and eating at one of the cafes on the river front will be about $6-$7. Going to a "real" restaurant, especially with company, will cost more.

Figure out a local brand of beer to drink and stick with that... Angkor is preferred by some, Archor is preferred by others. I like Angkor personally. In most places it'll cost around $1 per beer, which is kind of standard. But there are happy hours in some places around that will offer it at 50 or 75 cents each. I dont know how much you like to drink or what you prefer to drink. I will say that my experience was that drinking Angkor was literally the same cost as drinking bottled water, so you dont really save any money by not drinking.

The price of bedroom fun has gone up a little, imo... I'd say if you took a gal from a bar on 104 or 136, you're looking at a $10 barfine and $35-$50 for LT. Short time might be as cheap as $25 or even as high as $50. As discussed in my old thread, the pricing isn't very structured or standardized. Hell, neither is the whole scene really... it can be difficult to even know if the gal you're into even goes with customers at all. But on $100/day, I'd say you should still be able to have company every other night. If you're not the overly choosy sort, and you like short time, you could always hit Walkabout during the day and find a $15 ST. Or if you're a late night person, save the barfine and just hit Heart of Darkness and/or Pontoon around midnight... odds are very high you'll find someone ya like there.

Hope some of this helps... write a trip report as some of us will be curious how ya worked it all out...
    Last edited by WarProfiteer; 2nd July 2013 at 21:18.

Also, if it's your first time, do the 3 or 4 touristy things... the royal palace, the S-21, the market, the national museum... all should be dirt cheap to do and will give you something to do during the day time.

Lastly, I recommend a massage at 'seeing hands'... $7/hr for a real massage and you'll feel great after.

^ Wat Phnom also worth a visit....as is a nice dusk walk along the quayside..lots of people out doing the stroll and exercising

Thanks for the tips and info. It is my first time and I would normally plan ahead, but with it being a spur of the moment thing I'll just see what time I have available and how hungover I feel

I think ohana was about 50 dollars a night, was probabky spending more than that on food drink and touristy stuff but for half that u can get jims for similar. S21 was 2dollar and 6 for a guide, killing fields was6.50 would have taken a guide but i think tbe koreans scared them off!

I stayed at the CityCenter Hotel in PP. Quite cheap and near the 'action'.

When are you in?
    I'm currently at Happiness Guest House on 51 near 130. $15 a night.
    Leaves you $85 to play with.
    My breakfast daily is $3.75, lunch about $7.
    Last edited by dlew; 6th June 2014 at 21:23.

Thia was only about a year ago... so he may be due for another trip.

Quote Originally Posted by dlew View Post
    When are you in?
    I'm currently at Happiness Guest House on 51 near 130. $15 a night.
    Leaves you $85 to play with.
    My breakfast daily is $3.75, lunch about $7.
    Heh this thread is like a year old - been to PP twice since then, love the place Looking back it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be for a last minute holiday - the recommendations and nightlife maps got me in the right direction.

I'll always end up comparing it to Thailand, but I think both have their own appeal, and I've always had a good time in PP - mainly centered around Fire Bar on 130.
    LivinLOS likes this.

Shiet that's right it's 14, keep forgetting....
    LivinLOS likes this.