Thread: BBC Rocking Cambodia: Rise of a Pop Diva - Storyville

BBC Rocking Cambodia: Rise of a Pop Diva - Storyville

I caught an decent documentary on BBC4 tonight, worth a watch if you've nothing to do for an hour. The modern angle, the romance and band, had it's moments but the historical parts were interesting.

BBC Four - Storyville, 2014-2015, Rocking Cambodia: Rise of a Pop Diva

In a Phnom Penh karaoke bar in 2009, Australian musician Julien Poulson hears the extraordinary voice of poor village girl Srey Thy. The result is romance and the birth of the Cambodian Space Project, a thrilling musical explosion that wows audiences worldwide with sounds from the 1960s and 70s golden age of Cambodian rock. Filmed over five years, this intimate documentary tells the story of performers whose struggle to overcome poverty, trauma and obscurity has never been easy.

Really enjoyed this especially the parts about king Sihanouk making all the movies and doing the twist and interesting about how it influenced the khmer rouge. The band was nothing special to me but what I thought they were trying to portray was that even though the village girl got to travel the world she ultimately just wanted to go back home.

Yeah a pretty well known act around PP..

Will look to give this a watch later.

Pretty fun act to watch and real decent people. I have caught them (and got to photograph them) in some fun venues and avoided others (ie full of hipsters).