Thread: history,what a dark time

good god i sort of knew what happened under pol pot,but this just brings into context of how freaking evil the people were at the time

Cambodia as a country has probably had more of an effect on me, and generated more sympathy, than any other I have been to..

Not only the year zero horrors.. But the slow recovery and aftermath..

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Cambodia as a country has probably had more of an effect on me, and generated more sympathy, than any other I have been to..

Not only the year zero horrors.. But the slow recovery and aftermath..
    Agreed
    Knowing the history it is very hard to reconcile what happened under Pol Pot with the individual Cambodians I have met both in Cambodia and New Zealand.
    We were actually in Pnomh Penh and had arranged for a tour of the "killing fields" and S21 and at the last moment I decided not to do it, it was all too depressing and I would not have learned any more than I knew.
    How individuals could inflict and relish the cruelty and killing is absolutely beyond my comprehension

Don't be fooled by the warm smiles. These people have a streak in them and will kill and maim with no consideration to the consequences. The ones in power own the military and will do what it takes to suppress the masses. As I see the place develop in ways that just pad the pockets of the elite with no consideration to the poor or the better welfare of the country, I think Pol Pot failed. Just sayín.

As for macabre tourism, the killing fields and Toul Sleng are just the tip of the iceberg. I have done a lot of riding and poked around wats in the countryside where you stumble upon remnants to their brutal past.

KhmerRouge.JPGKillingFieldcollage.jpg

^Wow......