Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By JimCA2

Thread: California 2

California 2

A cut and paste in a nut shell.

As of March 1, Jim at California 2 has turned the lease over to Sundance Inn on 172. The new name will be Sundance Riverside, Managed by Mick. The Sundance Riverside aims to provide Sundance customers and new visitors to Phnom Penh the same level of hospitality former California 2 visitors and friends have been accustomed to. Many of the California 2 staff will stay on board so repeat visitors will still be greeted with a familiar face. Jim's remaining in Phnom Penh so you still might catch him there on the other side of the bar. Jim and Mick are working a smooth transition as not to skip a beat and bookings can still be made using the California 2 email but the new email will be Sundanceriverside@gmail.com

In a nutshell....
    My lease was due to expire in April and I wasn't going to renew it. I was hoping to find someone that would carry the name to the next level, but more importantly I didn't want to haul stuff out of the place and hoped that staff could retain their jobs. As Bill can attest, running a hotel is 24/7/365 and after 13 actual years of doing this I have had enough. People said get a manager, but a manager isn't going to make a phone call to say hey we did good.

As the region is in a change mode, the planets lined up and timing was right. As Cambodia is adjusting to ASEAN I have seen more collectors in the last six months than in the last six years and I dont want to put another drop of gas in a Lexus, BMW, or Range Rover.

I got here when the getting was good and ahead of the game. Now with everyone zombified to their touch screens, I have lost ground. The Sundance guys seem to be on it.

Having my pension kick in didnt help either as it compounded the lack of enthusiasm. I would be dealing with staff, government, greedy landlord, or some cheap Chinese part breaking at the worst moment and ask myself, why I tolerated it when my pension could easily support me.

It was fun while it lasted and I am greatful that I made the move in the day. The hotel was a vehicle to meet all you great people here and make plenty of good contacts in the region. It also allowed me to see some special times in this country that no one will ever get the chance to see again. Through photography and selling the country I could lure the adventure traveler. Now google Cambodia and the box is over ticked. I still hope to ride to some remote areas and see things that many don't (and the same holds true for Thailand).

With more time on my hands, I hope to cross paths with many of you on your turf.
    LivinLOS and Dkdude like this.

58656_1550370770052_1558617249_1317045_522567_n.jpgcalifornia-2.jpgIMG_9000.jpg

A few shots. What we took over in the new spot. The new spot. Closing party at the old spot. We had more bikes than Cambodias first bike week in Sihanoukville about 3 years later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like you got a bonus attachment of another tradition, free Cinco de Mayo margaritas.

Best of luck Jim with your semi-retirement. Even during my all too brief visit to Cambodia I could see it's in a state of flux and it will be interesting to see how it turns out 10 years from now.

A proper 'establishment' known throughout the region.. Can be justifiably proud of the reputation it had gained..

Good luck on your future endeavours.. I dare say with a bit more time on your hands will even see some night sniper this side of the border sometime.. Hey maybe even have time for some rides..

Take care mate.. I am sure our paths will cross in the not too distant future.

Been a while coming Jim....that's a long time to be totally immersed in one project...all that remains to be said is good luck in whatever you do next...even if it is just lying on a beach somewhere for a bit

Cali 2 was all about you mate...and the personal way you looked after your customers together with your handpicked staff...I'll be back..but it won't be the same

hope to share another beer with you soon

Pffft... enough with the compliments. Personally I hated Jim. In fact, I even loathed him. Loathed him, I say!

Ok, just joking... I have zero doubts our paths will cross again. Best wishes, bud...

Good luck and congratulations! Sometimes it can be a pain for sure dealing with the mentality that is SEA.
    I'm in a bit of a different situation here as we own the hotel (chanote), so I need to remain prominent in the running of the place.
    It's been nearly 11 years for me.....it is getting a bit old, but I still enjoy it most of the time.
    However, if we got the right price, I would also be history.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.