Thread: Please read :: Common issues

Please read :: Common issues

Thread Display Order is Wrong.

I have just been alerted to the fact that new user signups are again being set up with a setting that shows the newest post at the top of a thread instead of the original post / oldest post at the start. This is counter intuitive and I am sure I had changed this to the correct setting before.

If you are seeing the forum thread 'backwards' eg you see the newest post first and the oldest / original / starting post buried at the bottom. You can change this layout option in your user profile. Go to Settings, then General Settings, then under Thread display options, Thread display mode, the 'normal' setting is Linear oldest first.

This has now been changed for all new signups to be correct, and I went in and manually changed users going back a few days or a week. I think some of this stems from the imported user groups not being forum defaults.

User Profile - Date of Dirth

When we imported the users from SMF it looks like SMF didnt insist on this data or didnt error check this data. But it appears VB does.

Due to this we have users imported who have a DoB of 01-01-1901 and when I try to modify the profile for any other setting, it throws an error that the DoB is wrong, when this happens I simply change it to 01-01-1951 to make whatever setting I am changing 'stick'.

Please check your user profile has a correct DoB as not having one seems to make parts of VB code unhappy. You can keep this data private, or only show the date / month if you dont wish it to be shown.

Posts not Showing

As part of the Spam filtering, users who have less than 10 posts, and who posts links, the post goes into a moderation queue to be approved. This of course can be less than instant.

Please dont repost multiple times, once it is seen and reviewed it will be validated.

After a user has 10 posts this should not apply.

No buttons for editing, formatting, or image / video / quote etc BB Code above the message input box

The imported members (and a few of the earliest signups I think) were imported and the user CP settings for them were not applied as normal default new users as they should have been. Hence some users may see no buttons for BB Code (to make bold, alignment, fonts, quotes, images, video, etc).

To correct this simply go to your user control panel (settings top right) and under General settings, Misc options set the Message editor interface to standard (for buttons and seeing codes added) or advanced (buttons and live changes in the edit box). depending on preference.