Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: News forum and flood of collected feeds.

News forum and flood of collected feeds.

I just added 2 PG feeds and one from the Cambodian daily.. However The initial import seems to have created a bit of a news flood.

In case the sudden volume of news postings is too much, just go into the news forum and use the forum tools to 'mark this forum as read'.

Should settle down once the initial import phase is done.

I will add any decent ish news feeds from the region.. Myanmar ??

Do we want more Thai ones.. Nation runs a feed, etc etc.

Whats peoples thoughts on 'too much' news ??

The Irrawaddy Magazine The Irrawaddy Magazine | Burma, Myanmar News might be a good source for mostly Myanmar biased information.. And news feeds are a decent source of discussion starters, but at the same time I dont want to swamp the (fairly low traffic currently) forum with just cribbed news sources.

That said its very easy to mark them as read.

Would like peoples thoughts..

fine to have them in their relevant sections but they have flooded the "new posts" section rendering it useless if your are just looking for updates and new threadss from members..can they be deleted from new posts?

Yes..

Go to the news forum.. In Regional sections.. Then with the forum tools mark that forum as read.. then all the other forums posts will be left unread in new posts.

thats why I put them into one forum rather than each areas sub forum, as it gives the user a way to mark all read, then skip back to user contribs.

Personally I do not like them at all, even more so news from places I don't give a flying feck about, Cambodia, Myanmar etc if its major news from these countries, I'll pick it up elsewhere. Local news I also source myself.

From just my point of view, I'd like them going direct into a countries news section, and not clogging up my opening page, that then did not show as a unread new post for me, so I do not have to scroll past hundreds of them, nor do I have to spend all my time marking them as read. Felt the same when Nicke added them onto PI, only good thing is at least you have kept the link to the rest of the article, so its easier to go read if you want to.

Does it do rankings good? more posts per day etc?
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

I could also (perhaps later) give each regional forum a news sub forum.. That would be even tidier and enable you to have both news grouped by area and 'mark as read'each group.. but at a cost of having to do it to the multiple sub forums rather than simply one 'news' forum.

Open to suggestions and ideas.. Probably best to simply leave it to settle for a few days as the flood should stop then.
    Last edited by LivinLOS; 20th June 2013 at 21:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Personally I do not like them at all, even more so news from places I don't give a flying feck about, Cambodia, Myanmar etc if its major news from these countries, I'll pick it up elsewhere. Local news I also source myself.
    But as I keep saying dodge, this is no longer a local phuket forum.. Local to me IS often cambodia.. I am only just back from 3 weeks and likely gone again in a month.

The Phuket bias and localism to the forum is going to fade.. Local to you is not local to the rest of us.. Its by design less than accident.

From just my point of view, I'd like them going direct into a countries news section, and not clogging up my opening page, that then did not show as a unread new post for me, so I do not have to scroll past hundreds of them, nor do I have to spend all my time marking them as read. Felt the same when Nicke added them onto PI, only good thing is at least you have kept the link to the rest of the article, so its easier to go read if you want to.
    Well currently you can batch mark the lot as read (you do understand that yeah ?? one click not each post) which takes maybe 15 seconds ?? If I split it by country it will take doing it to each feed.. In each sub forum.

Does it do rankings good? more posts per day etc?
    I suspect it might add content.. But as its others content probably not a lot of help.. It probably helps the sites we then link to more than us.

Its more the information side and discussion starting side.. The spread of asian news and comments and content that we then choose to discuss.

From just my point of view, I'd like them going direct into a countries news section, and not clogging up my opening page, that then did not show as a unread new post for me, so I do not have to scroll past hundreds of them, nor do I have to spend all my time marking them as read.
    Trying to think laterally.. You could also do this..

Go to each 'news posting' user..

View Profile: The Cambodia Daily - Asia Info Community
    View Profile: Phuket Gazette Thailand News - Asia Info Community
    View Profile: Phuket Gazette Daily News - Asia Info Community

And 'set user to ignore'..

At a guess that should do precisely as you want.. Make the initial newsbot post invisible to you, but pick up later discussion (I hope)..

Can you report if that works as desired ?? You will need to wait a day or so to see how new news comes in..

You asked the question, I answered it in my personal opinion, if others do the same, you will a consensus from the membership, thought that's why you asked the question in the first place???

You go to Cambodia regularly, I don't, hence why I said in my personal opinion I don't give a flying whats happening on a daily minor basis in Cambodia or Myanmar, if its major and I feel I need to know, it will be on my main news links.

I found the batch to mark all as read, but actually hadn't had to do that before in over 7 years of PI & here membership, sorry I didn't know you could do it, but its now done, so sorted.

Now lets hope we get others posting their opiniopns.
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

I found the batch to mark all as read, but actually hadn't had to do that before in over 7 years of PI & here membership, sorry I didn't know you could do it, but its now done, so sorted.
    Would have probably made the news feed much less intrusive all that time on PI also..

So hopefully others can pick up that batch marking them either as 'read' via the forum or totally and permanently as 'ignore' allows users to control the information flow simply.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Yes..

Go to the news forum.. In Regional sections.. Then with the forum tools mark that forum as read.. then all the other forums posts will be left unread in new posts.

thats why I put them into one forum rather than each areas sub forum, as it gives the user a way to mark all read, then skip back to user contribs.
    Do you have to do that every single time no remove them from the 'new post' page?

Quote Originally Posted by NOM1S View Post
    Do you have to do that every single time no remove them from the 'new post' page?
    As per the above.. Do it to mark them all read as a batch.. So each time theres a batch of them or you feel too many, just going into the news forum and clicking mark read removes them all from the list of unread posts.. I just assumed everyone was familiar with these forum tools ?? VB is mostly the same everywhere.

I am unsure if the ignore user will work as I expect.. But by selecting the various users I have set up as news feed posters and marking them as ignore user, you should be blocked from ever seeing their posts ??? thats a guess but I suspect thats how it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    As per the above.. Do it to mark them all read as a batch.. So each time theres a batch of them or you feel too many, just going into the news forum and clicking mark read removes them all from the list of unread posts.. I just assumed everyone was familiar with these forum tools ?? VB is mostly the same everywhere.

I am unsure if the ignore user will work as I expect.. But by selecting the various users I have set up as news feed posters and marking them as ignore user, you should be blocked from ever seeing their posts ??? thats a guess but I suspect thats how it will work.
    Sorry I understand that, was just meaning do I have to do that EACH time the bot posts/there's new news posts. As I read it you can't.

I'll give the ignore users a go.

Quote Originally Posted by NOM1S View Post
    Sorry I understand that, was just meaning do I have to do that EACH time the bot posts/there's new news posts. As I read it you can't.

I'll give the ignore users a go.
    Each time you mark a batch as read they will then be read.. Hence gone from new posts.. Then after if the bot posts again they will be new posts and unread..

But todays import wasnt a normal use situation.. normally there will be a couple (few) posts per day from the bots.. Generally only a backlog when you first log in on a daily basis.

If I was to add a bunch of feeds I can see the load would be higher.. Why I am hesitant to do it... But I am keen to expand this outside of the Thai only realm. Thailand is perhaps the least interesting personally of the potential places to cover simply as its the most normal to me. Theres a real lack of good Burma / Cambo / Laos Etc information.. I might even do a run up via Vieng Chang and Luam Prabang if I get some free time to do some scouting, reviews, and photography.

In fact, thinking about that.. I know just the fella who might have some great stuff.

I've got a suggestion , make a "locked" sticky at the top of a 'News' section and post links to the various news websites , this can be updated by you when other sites are found/suggested either by you or other BMs , people could then check out specific sites/regions that interested them.

If someone spots an interesting article they can then start a separate thread about it , this would stop the problems P.I had with 'newsbot' posting numerous updates of the same stories and would mean that BMs wouldn't have keep checking and marking as read numerous "new posts" each time they log-in.

I like the newsbot, and as LivinLOS said, they are often good conversation starters.

The only problem I see is information overload from numerous feeds that are useless for a person. For me, the Cambodia feed is useless, and so would feeds from other countries be as well. If it works by putting the feed on the ignore list that is a great solution, although more is needed. New members wouldn't have a clue as how to turn off the feeds, so maybe some text about this at the very top of the welcome mail to new members?

And maybe also include a short text at the bottom of the posts from the newsbots, something like:

To turn off this feed from your New posts, include this user on your ignore list:
    View Profile: The Cambodia Daily - Asia Info Community

I don't like the Cambodia news thingie......as most people in here are Phuket/Thailand related. I don't mind news from other regions, but Thai news is still more related to the common member in here........................me thinks

K2
    As long as those members can put news feeds they are not interested in on 'ignore' then I'm for more is better and from a very wide range of sources/countries.

For Myanmar apart from Irrawaddy there is

The Myanmar Times
    Myanmar (Burma) News, Breaking News, Business, Opinion, Analysis
    http://www.dvb.no/

Malaysia, Sing, Phils, Viet would also add some interest (for me).
    soupdragon likes this.
    Its My Life .....!

I like a lot of news from all over SEA. Lets see how it goes.

Hm, I still see posts from the Cambodia newsbot even after putting it on my ignore list

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast