Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO :: Picture posting.

HOWTO :: Picture posting.

With vBulletin theres multiple ways to make an image appear within a thread, with slightly different results. Each way has some pluses and minuses.

Method 1

Attachment upload.. From your own computer.

This option hosts the photo on this server, and will if required resize the image to fit the page and screen size.

First click this button.

this will pop up the following dialog box

Where you can select choose file.. Then upload.

This will create an attachment within the post with a number in between 2 {attach} number {/attach} codes (inside square brackets not {} ones) if you wish to adjust the order of attachments once they are uploaded you are able to cut and paste them to put them inside a report or in the correct order. You can also "manage attachments" in the options down below the post input box.

Images uploaded to the server may (depending on options) be resized and or thumbnailed.

Method 2

Attachment Upload.. From another location on the internet.

Starting with the same process as above, click the image icon

The same dialog will pop up, but this time instead of upload from computer you select 'from URL'

In this box you place the direct URL of any publicly viewable image online. The forum software will retrieve the image, host it here and include it in the post as an attachment. As it is now hosted on this server the image will be resized as per forum options, and if the original image is removed this copy will remain. It will generate the same {attach} number {/attach] codes as it is now again an attachment on this forum.

For some reason this seems to confuse some people, but to be clear this has the exact same results as the above method, your simply copying a file from another server online, to this server online.. Once it is uploaded by the forum software it is then hosted here, as an attachment, and subject to the same rules of resizing and thumbnailing as the first method.

Method 3

Linking to an online image to embed.

The start is the same, click the image link.

From the dialog that pops up select 'from URL'

Then if you do not wish to move the image to this server, uncheck the check box indicated here.

By unchecking this checkbox the forum will now simply embed the image into the page. The image is not hosted here and is still under the owners (the other image hosts) control.

When using this method its also important to understand the image will not be resized or changed by the forum, so a large image will be truncated if it is too wide for the persons display. I would suggest that direct linking to images should be done only if the image is smaller than 800x600 so that it is formatted nicely on most screens.

If you wish to use this last option, for your own images on your own home PC, you need to upload those images to some online storage. There are many options available these days, Picasa, dropbox, PBase, Imageshack, etc etc etc.. I highly recommend flickr ( Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing ) who now offer a free terabyte of storage !! Along with many easy upload tools and good organizational ability. When using flickr the site also present you multiple image sizes to work with for each image so the formatting is all handled without you needing any software tools.

Method 4

You can achieve the same result as the above method to link to a remote image, leaving the remote image on the other webhost or server by simply adding the BBcode image tags around the URL of the image file.

Eg if the image file is located at www.webserver.com/image.jpg all you need to add it {img}www.webserver.com/image.jpg{/img} and the forum will embed the image within the post. Often typing it manually is quicker and easier than all the buttons, personally that goes for all the rest of the BBcode formatting options also.
    Last edited by LivinLOS; 21st June 2013 at 18:51.

This brings me to the last method.

Method 5

Advanced Picture posting. Embedding Slideshows.

If you use flickr as your image host, as suggested above, you will probably be familiar with the concept of 'Photosets' collections of photos and images into groups.

By uploading your images to flickr, and collecting them into a set. You can create an embedded slideshow.

To do this you must first look on the flickr site for the sets ID number. This is the number in the URL here..

When you have this number you simply click the flicker button here

Which will create the opening and closing BB Tags which are {flickr}{/flickr} (again with [ ] brackets)

Inside these you paste your set ID number.. And this will create an embedded slideshow like this

A easy video tutorial breaks this process down

The good thing with flickr is you can have many photos duplicated in multiple different sets for organization.. One set for your whole Trip Report slideshow, another set for just the nightlife, or just one night of the trip or one location. This allows you to create very customized trip reports, breaking the trip per day, or just people you met, or any way YOU feel like presenting it, in a nice slideshow fashion. Flickr has great tools to organize all this and makes cataloging your photos for sharing, handling resizing and privacy options, all very nicely.

To demonstrate the above 'foods' set.. Can be broken into separate slideshows based on the nationality of the food, all using the same photos uploaded one time to flickr.

I hope with those tools now installed it helps anyone who wants to do more fully multi media trip reporting the ability to do so
    Last edited by LivinLOS; 21st June 2013 at 18:51.

Good info. Anyone in mind when you posted this?
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

then how the f.. get a video in there
    Nobody is a social drinker. Everybody drinks to get drunk. I mean, nobody drinks 10 pints of coke in a night

Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    then how the f.. get a video in there
    Click on the "insert video" icon in the reply post and enter the URL.

Same as posting a Youtube video.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

Sef
    which option are like your Cambo restaurant reviews?

i'd like to do my pictures for my Latin America TR like that

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    Sef
    which option are like your Cambo restaurant reviews?

i'd like to do my pictures for my Latin America TR like that
    To do that I am linking to the pictures that I upload and host on flickr.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    i will give it a whirl, although i suck at it
    see what happens

I wonder what technology they are using. I only see empty black blocks here, no slideshow, no photos, nothing.

Edit: It seems to be based on Flash and JavaScript, but it is not working here.
    Last edited by Greatdane; 22nd June 2013 at 14:11.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    i will give it a whirl, although i suck at it
    see what happens
    If you get stuck.. Just shout and I will step you through it or do more guide info..

flickr is great.. It has made me catalog and file all my photos, into sets and groups, provides a online cloud backup, etc etc.. I know many others do the same (picasa actually has a better desktop sync solution) but the organizer and way to handle it all is very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    I wonder what technology they are using. I only see empty black blocks here, no slideshow, no photos, nothing.

Edit: It seems to be based on Flash and JavaScript, but it is not working here.
    Are you viewing with a full browser or on an ipad or or mobile ??

Works fine for me on a PC.

Are you viewing with a full browser or on an ipad or or mobile ??

Works fine for me on a PC.
    PC, however, I do have a special setup, as Flash is not allowed to start automatically in my Firefox. Instead I get a play-button to start the plugin. Usually it works fine, but your slideshows does not display a button, only a totally black box.

I am 90% sure its flash.. As I checked on my ipad and its also a blank box..

Shame as dont want to limit viewing.

#Click on the "insert video" icon in the reply post and enter the UR#

I dont have any video icon ??????
    Nobody is a social drinker. Everybody drinks to get drunk. I mean, nobody drinks 10 pints of coke in a night

Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    #Click on the "insert video" icon in the reply post and enter the UR#

I dont have any video icon ??????

I am assuming that, as per...

What the hell just happened ???

Existing (meaning imported) members will have to go to user control panel and set their timezone in the 'General Settings' tab.

I would also strongly suggest changing Message Editor Interface to Enhanced or WYSIWYG editor.. To provide the easy formatting control buttons.

THANKS

No.. I should have been more clear and not assume everyone reads everything..

I added a post to the common issues sticky too...

Sometimes I'd like to link a video that is on a web page. Sometimes the web page gives you an option to embed it. When I copy the link and insert on the forum it doesn't work. What step am I leaving out?
    ôVote for Trump and grab them by the poosy "

Those embed links are usually HTML..

If you can find the exact direct video link, you can wrap that in Tags or use the video button.. If its on one of the major video sharing sites like YouTube or vimeo then just put the URL of the page and the plug in finds the video link in the page.

Those embed links are usually HTML..

If you can find the exact direct video link, you can wrap that in Tags or use the video button.. If its on one of the major video sharing sites like YouTube or vimeo then just put the URL of the page and the plug in finds the video link in the page.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast