View Poll Results: Preferred way for forum news to be shown ??

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • One forum all visible in new posts

7 21.88%
  • One forum all invisible in new posts

8 25.00%
  • Sub forums per country visible

11 34.38%
  • Sub forums per country invisible

6 18.75%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Solving the news feed / new posts issue.

Solving the news feed / new posts issue.

I have one solution I can implement but it comes with its own drawbacks.

It is possible for me, to globally exclude a forum from the unread / new posts search. However thats globally, for everyone, not a per user setting. The obvious result is, if I do it, all news feeds will only be visible by going into the news forum.

It also means (I think but logic says) that any and all discussion and replies wont get seen via new posts. As such I am guessing as most browse purely by new posts this is highly likely to simply vanish and even discussion wont get picked up. That does seriously diminish the point of the news threads, to start discussion.

The plus side is I can add more feeds for other places, the nation feed, a Myanmar feed, etc etc.. These will simply be invisible unless entering the forum. But invisible means what it means, probably almost no discussion so little use.

I can also seperate out the news into sub forums off of each geo-specific country forum, and block those.. That way Cambodian news in the Cambodian sub forum, Thai news in the thai news subforum.. And still have them invisible or visible.

What does the user base like the sound of ?? Seems no elegant per user way to tailor this so far.

None of the solutions sounds very good. Not getting the newsbots in the New Posts renders them useless. And getting too many renders the New Posts function useless.

A few newsbots are not a problem, I have no problem ignoring the posts from the Cambodia bot, but I think that if there is more than two bots that a member is not interested in, it will ruin the New Post function.

How are the folks at vBulletin? Maybe they will listen to a suggestions making the exclusion of a forum a per user setting.

I prefer the way it is now, if I get to may new posts from the newsbots, I'll open the news forum, check if there is any interesting discussions, open these, then forum read, and new posts. Takes two minutes extra.

Just a thought ... can you feed them into 'blogs'? I don't know if that shows up in New Posts search... haven't tried it on my forums as no-one liked RSS feeds. Another work-around is a little tedious but requires you to create a new 'User-group' (called, say ... 'newsfolk') which has access to all levels + newsfolk. Members who wish to opt in to newsfolk and thus view all the RSS feeds, send Admin PM requesting access.... or conversely, make it opt-out?

I don't like all the news feeds, personally, as I already subscribe via TV for Thai news, and other sources for say NZ/Aus news ... I'm sure most ppl do this.
    Cheers, Rob.

Ignoring the bot makes the most sense - I don't understand why that doesn't work (might be a simple fix or setting somewhere?).

put them into ONE New Section....anyone making a comment will be seen as a count next to it...so easily identified as something of interest by the comments count next to it and thereby worthy of openning

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    put them into ONE New Section....anyone making a comment will be seen as a count next to it...so easily identified as something of interest by the comments count next to it and thereby worthy of openning
    Putting them into one forum, automatically marking as read.. And the post count shows active discussion ??

The issue then is tho.. as most users browse purely by new posts, they wont ever show up unless users go looking for them.

However if users really dislike the additional work of marking news forum 'read' manually, thats probably the best, and does mean I can add more feeds without annoying anyone.
    Last edited by LivinLOS; 25th June 2013 at 16:27.

What about this plugin:
    Thread & Forum Ignore System for New Posts - vBulletin.org Forum

Would let people ignore forums and wouldn't show up in New Posts.

But thats what I can do as above.. Mark a forum or forums as read.. so they dont show in show in search..

But not per user.. Only globally.

EDIT :: I see this may be a per user in tools.. That may be usefull..

I quite like the news feeds. It does clutter up the New Posts function we all use but, for me, it's a small price to pay. Anyone particularly annoyed by them can surely change their own setting to ignore the newsbots?

As is for me, no change.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    I quite like the news feeds. It does clutter up the New Posts function we all use but, for me, it's a small price to pay. Anyone particularly annoyed by them can surely change their own setting to ignore the newsbots?
    That didnt work.. You can only global mark read currently..

Theres a plug in that might work, but needs users to make the change and I am still not sure it works on the latest vB..

I havent yet seen an implementation I am 100% happy with.

Although I think the new news feeds are good and I've seen lots of interesting stories. I'm going with: One forum all invisible in new posts

I couldn't find 'crapola' so couldn't vote????5555

Enough people have commented that whilst maybe your interest, the current membership has no interest in Cambodia daily news?? so if one of the options sort of said no thanks, please add my vote to it, but I didn't understand the options????.

Currently I'm happy deleting news feeds on a daily basis, as already read, except I'm lying???5555
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Also just noticed with the first 11 posts all news, no one has made a single comment, but on the 12th thread about, how much should I charge for short time, there was 25 posts???? tells me something???
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

put them into ONE News Section....anyone making a comment will be seen as a count next to it...so easily identified as something of interest by the comments count next to it and thereby worthy of opening
    Is it possible to slightly modify this to:

One News Feed Section...all invisible in "new posts"

BUT

if someone...i.e. a real BM posts on that thread then it goes into "new posts" after that post is made

IMO the inundation of news items in "new posts" is currently rendering it pretty much useless unless looking for newsbot posts..that is without going in and marking "read" against them

Here is my suggestion, as a business model

I think newsfeeds are akin to spam

Sef, i think you are well enough read on the SE Asia area that i would more appreciate and editor's pick
    akin to what Stickman does in his weekly column
    And create a section for that

And encourage people to add to it. My post on Issaan growth could have been one added to that section.
    I'd be more apt to read suggested articles than newsfeeds. Even on Cambodia, which i now just skip over

Is it possible to slightly modify this to:

One News Feed Section...all invisible in "new posts"

BUT

if someone...i.e. a real BM posts on that thread then it goes into "new posts" after that post is made
    That would be perfect.. But I dont have the tools to do it (or not easily globally). That would be the ideal solution, anything picked up as interesting was then seen.

It just kinda pisses me off.. that of >250 members.. we have what ?? Less than 10 votes..

Then again, maybe it cos I have been drinking since brunch !!
    PadMC likes this.

I am quite interested in what is happening in the region - not just Kamalala-speak.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    Here is my suggestion, as a business model

I think newsfeeds are akin to spam

Sef, i think you are well enough read on the SE Asia area that i would more appreciate and editor's pick
    akin to what Stickman does in his weekly column
    And create a section for that

And encourage people to add to it. My post on Issaan growth could have been one added to that section.
    I'd be more apt to read suggested articles than newsfeeds. Even on Cambodia, which i now just skip over
    That is basically what I was suggesting in the other thread , there are now 167 threads in the News Forum and only 26 have any replies (these are spread over 9 pages !) , so even if they are interesting articles most people would not bother scrolling back though the pages to read/reply.

If BMs find interesting news articles ,whether about Phuket , areas of Thailand or other regional countries , and post them they usually get some replies/interaction from others .

Quote Originally Posted by faultytowers View Post
    I've got a suggestion , make a "locked" sticky at the top of a 'News' section and post links to the various news websites , this can be updated by you when other sites are found/suggested either by you or other BMs , people could then check out specific sites/regions that interested them.

If someone spots an interesting article they can then start a separate thread about it , this would stop the problems P.I had with 'newsbot' posting numerous updates of the same stories and would mean that BMs wouldn't have keep checking and marking as read numerous "new posts" each time they log-in.
    P.S I did not vote in the poll as there was not a "none of the above" option !

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    T

Then again, maybe it cos I have been drinking since brunch !!
    here's one from Gee for ye...."fook'n late starters"...555

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast