Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BroTiger

Thread: Certain Bar Closure 01 Jun 2015

Certain Bar Closure 01 Jun 2015

Certain Bar Closure 01 Jun 2015

A heads up to those planning their stay in Thailand which includes 1 June.
    That day (Visakha Bucha / Vesak Day) is one of four Buddhist holidays when bar closures are certain.

Bar Closure means restrictions on the sale of alcohol and playing music.
    Some bars may remain open, but will not be serving alcohol.
    Some bars may still serve alcohol, but usually using a different protocol, e.g. no bottles in the open and/or pay as you go.
    Almost all larger bars and GoGos will be closed, along with many smaller ones
    Retail outlets such as supermarkets and convenience stores likely will not sell alcohol, but some independent liquor stores may.

Plan ahead for that day and expect many venues to hold off and not make an announcement till the inevitable letter from the police has been presented a day or two before.

Finally I will be in Thailand when there is a bar closure in place, I was beginning to feel left out! 555

Quote Originally Posted by bobdickgus View Post
    Finally I will be in Thailand when there is a bar closure in place, I was beginning to feel left out! 555
    Nothing is ever so bad that it is not good for something.

Just need to find a nice little cutie for some LT action. Take a night off from binge drinking at the bars, buy a bottle or two, to to a Thai BBQ and binge drink in the room with your girl.
    slampay likes this.

Or... just time June 1st to be your hangover recovery day.... yes, some of us lightweights still get hangovers... 55

So will bars etc close at midnight on May 31st... and open again at midnight 24 hours later?

My first trip to Patts included a bar closure day but it was actually no harm, went out the next night raring to go again after some great sleep and weird dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    My first trip to Patts included a bar closure day but it was actually no harm, went out the next night raring to go again after some great sleep and weird dreams.
    So I take it you didn't panic.

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    Or... just time June 1st to be your hangover recovery day.... yes, some of us lightweights still get hangovers... 55

So will bars etc close at midnight on May 31st... and open again at midnight 24 hours later?
    I've asked this somewhere else as well, but still haven't got a reply. I might go LLT for two days to be safe.
    Last edited by Bacon; 17th May 2015 at 14:08.
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    I've asked this somewhere else as well, but still haven't got a reply. I might go LLT for two days to be safe.
    The fact that there will be bar closure is a certain as death, taxes and amen in church.
    The exact interpretation leaves a little room.

For example closure just past midnight in to the calendar day of the holiday did not used to matter much.
    Lately it has.During Makha Bucha on Mar 4th this year the "earliest of hours" in Pattaya was observed widely on Walking street, but I was in a go-go till near 2AM and the MO there was, close when asked directly.
    On the contrary as the day-time hours and evening of the holiday are enforced, many bars and go-go's simply call it a night as opening at 12AM is after most revenue is gone anyway and perhaps the order may just be that.
    Phuket differs on the last point as areas like Bangla doesn't really get going till 10PM (if not 11PM), so opening at may still midnight makes sense.
    On the double holiday (Asalha Puja Day and Wan Khao Phansa) there has been cases where Patong police as allowed openings as early as 10PM, meaning (near) business as usual for Bangla Rd. That PM ruling has, however, not been the case in the past couple of years.

In Patong at least, I think the uncertainty from the bars arrives from the local BIB, who seem to be very very slow at indicating whether everyone should be closed or not, so if there is little to no notification, bars will just open and pray.

On most occasions I've seen, it has been a midnight shutdown for 24hrs, therefore a midnight opening. Also some bars might not open at midnight depending on the type of holiday and/or staff available (if a lot of the girls go home then there's not much point).

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    Also some bars might not open at midnight depending on the type of holiday and/or staff available (if a lot of the girls go home then there's not much point).
    On Bangla most will get staff and girls in at 9 pm and open at 10 pm and not sell booze (so literally strictly soft drinks) or have the music too loud until midnight then its all green.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
    On Bangla most will get staff and girls in at 9 pm and open at 10 pm and not sell booze (so literally strictly soft drinks) or have the music too loud until midnight then its all green.
    That is one benefit of Bangla being a "late starter" and for most just an hour or two is lost the evening of.

As far as BIB being slow, make no mistake that four Buddhist holidays (maybe five starting this year) are closure days based in Thai law and is not a decision that local police can make.

Past midnight from the day before indeed has been subject to inconsistent calls.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
    So are barfines and prices reduced before Midnight?
    Just applying the basic "logic" used to justify them 555!
    After all it's not a "full service venue" is it.
    Will water and soft drinks still be 150 baht?
    Will clothes be on or off?

OMB I miss the " bad old days".
    Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

I think the basic logic is the town is (or has been) literally dark and dry for 24 hrs so everyone's roaring to cut loose...

As far as I know regular rates apply... no discount on soft drinks and clothes stay on naturally (still have to show respect)....

Quote Originally Posted by MrDK View Post
    That is one benefit of Bangla being a "late starter" and for most just an hour or two is lost the evening of.
    Well.... if they do (literally) the full 24 hr day... as soon as the clock strikes midnight (on the 31st) everything gets shut down so it's really at the whim of the local BiB.

Seems patpong has been given the nod

PATPONG GOGO BARS OPEN ON JUNE 1 | Dave The Rave