Thread: Notary

Notary

I need to get a document from a US attorney notarized...does anyone know who does that kind of thing in Phuket?...would be a service that you could get at a bank possibly

It depends who needs it.. If its the US government, your SOL. Bangkok it is.

Thailand is not a signatory to the international notary publics act, hence no Thai lawyer can be legally a notary (some will lie and claim it, but the US Government knows this and wont accept it) so the US embassy is the only way for tax returns etc. I had this a couple of years ago.

If its not the US government, certified copies are easy, and a bunch of other ways of determining if a copy is a true copy exist, depending on the acceptance of the person you sending it to, if your just using notorized as shorthand for legal copy.

So the answer is, depends on who its for.

Sipping from the Fountain of Youth that is Thailand.

Thats just a web traffic SEO search.. If you look at the details of those pages..

Notary Public in Thailand, Bangkok, Phuket, Samui, Chaning Mai | English Speaking Lawyer | Thai Company Setting Up | English-Thai Translation

Certified copy document

Etc etc etc etc..

See Siam legal Public Notary in Thailand | Siam Legal International

As Thailand is not a signatory to the Hague Convention on Legalization of Foreign Public Documents, in some cases, parties who have engaged notarial services in Thailand may need to have the notarized document authenticated or legalized further at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand, or at the Embassy of the country to which the document is to be presented.
    Or see http://www.thailawonline.com/en/othe...-thailand.html

Thailand has not yet enacted OFFICIALLY an Act of the Parliament for “Notary Public” which could make a problem. At the moment, it's only a regulation of the Thai Lawyer's council. For instance, if you need a document to be used in a Foreign Court of justice, and if the other party contest this document, they could win. They could plead that Thai Law does NOT recognize notarial services, which is true. However, the Thai Council of Lawyers does recognize their own Thai “Notaries”, which are Thai Lawyers with a notary license.
    Thailand has its own system, which it calls notary public, but which is not part of the legal international standard..

The US government (Inland revenue) would not accept certified or Thai notorized documents for this reason back about 6 years ago.. I had to go to Bangkok and have the embassy state it was a true copy.
    Last edited by LivinLOS; 24th June 2015 at 09:26.

Thanks..been researching myself..the US Embassy has ttheir outreach program...they won't be here till next month but can do it for US$50....basically its a simple document from an attorney in America and all I need is to have someone witness me signing it..thats it....
    Someone told me that I could just go to the police station and have them do it for me....

Quote Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
    Someone told me that I could just go to the police station and have them do it for me....
    Its all down to the needs of the person your sending the document to.. The UK operates on 'certified' documents quite commonly, and these must be witnessed by (I think) a competent authority.. Which can be a police officer, lawyer etc..

I myself used Phuket cops for a certified passport copy once or twice, which caused them great confusion and was so hard to explain after I just used a Thai lawyer.