Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By LivinLOS
  • 2 Post By Waharoa
  • 2 Post By mjwx
  • 1 Post By Geespot

Thread: British Foreign Office... Not the stuffy old suit you would expect

  1. #1
    Super Moderator LivinLOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    14,102

    British Foreign Office... Not the stuffy old suit you would expect

    So?Yalla, Bye | Foreign Office Blogs

    If only all of them could be that on point..
    nelsonone and Waharoa like this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,238
    How cool is that? Not sure he has a career left at the foreign office after that but going out with a bang; good stuff

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,267
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    So?Yalla, Bye | Foreign Office Blogs

    If only all of them could be that on point..
    The replies to the post are also worth reading.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    711
    Great analysis and shows great empathy with the problems

    This guy could be a great leader in the future, he has vision

  5. #5
    Senior Member Waharoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,108
    Amongst it all.. this stuck out for me..

    And we need you to fight hard. Reading your history in a musty Oxford library over four years ago, I realised that if we cannot win the argument for tolerance and diversity in Lebanon, we will lose it everywhere. That’s why we’ve helped – it is in our national interest too. This is the frontline for a much bigger battle. The real dividing line is not between Christianity and Islam, Sunni and Shia, East and West. It is between people who believe in coexistence, and those who don’t.
    TLandHim and mjwx like this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member geir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ranong
    Posts
    3,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    Amongst it all.. this stuck out for me..
    Then it baffles me that we still allow Islam extremists to settle in our countries. They are here just to stir up and follow the sharia laws instead of our laws. I think as long as we let that happen it's no chance for coexistence. It's scary to see where the world is going when we think about how nice and open countries like Syria, Afghanistan, Iran and Iraq was just a few decades ago.
    I don't know how to get back on track, but the world was way better and safer back then. (well, we did have the cold war).
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    682
    Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    Then it baffles me that we still allow Islam extremists to settle in our countries.
    This was his case in point.

    It is the people who believe that all their ills are drawn on a line arbitrarily defined by race, religion, hair colour or whatever which are preventing coexistence.

    I know for a fact the worst acts of terror in both of our nations were not committed by Muslims.

    I honestly believe that the greatest threat that exists within Australia today is not radical Islam, rather the far right like Reclaim Australia and the United Patriots Front. They're the ones that seek to change Australia to their own ends and unlike Islamic Extremists they have the power to accomplish it. I don't want to have to rely on the classical example here, but organisation like RA and the UPF are exactly how it started.

    I also can honesty say I've met extremists before. however they're not Muslims. It was 1980's Adelaide (and not the nice part of Adelaide), there was always a bunch of "patriots" hanging around parties, pubs, shops waiting to tell kids how the Asians were coming over by the boat load and how they were going to destroy the "Australian way of life" and by the time they've grown up there'd be no jobs for "real Australians". I'm certain this rhetoric is older than the 1980's because it's the exact same rhetoric that I hear today. The only difference is the target has changed, instead of Asians, now it's the Moose Slims coming over by the boat load to destroy "the Australian way of life".

    As for the nebulous threats from boat people I heard in the 80's. Well 25 years have passed and not a single one of their "in 5 years" predictions have come true.

    Although I should thank the "local racists brigade" as I call them. They instilled a very good bullshit filter into me from a young age.
    Last edited by mjwx; 2nd August 2015 at 11:03.
    LivinLOS and Waharoa like this.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

  8. #8
    Senior Member geir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ranong
    Posts
    3,225
    Quote Originally Posted by mjwx View Post
    This was his case in point.

    It is the people who believe that all their ills are drawn on a line arbitrarily defined by race, religion, hair colour or whatever which are preventing coexistence.

    I know for a fact the worst acts of terror in both of our nations were not committed by Muslims.

    I honestly believe that the greatest threat that exists within Australia today is not radical Islam, rather the far right like Reclaim Australia and the United Patriots Front. They're the ones that seek to change Australia to their own ends and unlike Islamic Extremists they have the power to accomplish it. I don't want to have to rely on the classical example here, but organisation like RA and the UPF are exactly how it started.

    I also can honesty say I've met extremists before. however they're not Muslims. It was 1980's Adelaide (and not the nice part of Adelaide), there was always a bunch of "patriots" hanging around parties, pubs, shops waiting to tell kids how the Asians were coming over by the boat load and how they were going to destroy the "Australian way of life" and by the time they've grown up there'd be no jobs for "real Australians". I'm certain this rhetoric is older than the 1980's because it's the exact same rhetoric that I hear today. The only difference is the target has changed, instead of Asians, now it's the Moose Slims coming over by the boat load to destroy "the Australian way of life".

    As for the nebulous threats from boat people I heard in the 80's. Well 25 years have passed and not a single one of their "in 5 years" predictions have come true.

    Although I should thank the "local racists brigade" as I call them. They instilled a very good bullshit filter into me from a young age.
    I agree on all that, but was pointing out that something have gone totally wrong in Syria, Afghanistan, Iran and Iraq where radical Islam is way to strong. They used to be free-ish countries a few decades ago.
    The right wings are getting stronger and stronger in Scandinavia as well and parties that was called racists a few years ago are suddenly popular and getting up to 20% of the votes. That have to be taken seriously and their voices deserve to be heard as anyone else's.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

  9. #9
    Senior Member kris-one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,803
    Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    I agree on all that, but was pointing out that something have gone totally wrong in Syria, Afghanistan, Iran and Iraq where radical Islam is way to strong. They used to be free-ish countries a few decades ago.
    The right wings are getting stronger and stronger in Scandinavia as well and parties that was called racists a few years ago are suddenly popular and getting up to 20% of the votes. That have to be taken seriously and their voices deserve to be heard as anyone else's.
    Jeez nearly spat out my coffee reading that coming from you!




  10. #10
    Senior Member geir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ranong
    Posts
    3,225
    But it's true, when 20% of the population are so strongly against immigrants they need to be heard. And the numbers are way higher I think, but people are still stuck with the more traditional political parties. It's democracy right 555
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

  11. #11
    Senior Member Geespot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK & Khon Kaen
    Posts
    1,604
    I'm not sure other than a very long evolution that humans are cut out to co exist outside their own communities

    You can see it through every dimension now and before..........nothing much has changed whether it be fighting over food resource, natural resources, women, religion, skin colour, geography............and so it goes on

    Only the lefties have the right answer to overcome all of the above!!!!

  12. #12
    Senior Member Geespot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    UK & Khon Kaen
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    But it's true, when 20% of the population are so strongly against immigrants they need to be heard. And the numbers are way higher I think, but people are still stuck with the more traditional political parties. It's democracy right 555
    Its basic human nature!!!!

    But there is the PC brigade who want grey robots where white is black, black is white, christian is muslim, muslim is christian, men are women and women are men 55555555 jeezus

    Its like pissing in the wind bemoaning why cant we all just hug and get along
    geir likes this.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Waharoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Geespot View Post
    I'm not sure other than a very long evolution that humans are cut out to co exist outside their own communities

    You can see it through every dimension now and before..........nothing much has changed whether it be fighting over food resource, natural resources, women, religion, skin colour, geography............and so it goes on

    Only the lefties have the right answer to overcome all of the above!!!!
    Darwin.... 555

  14. #14
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    7,428
    Back to his blog

    The same things go on in the U.S. Just it is all polished up.
    Corruption is just as bad or worse

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •