Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Social media/tech addiction

Social media/tech addiction

How long do you think you can go without social media or the internet. Was reading an article bout a couple who did some travelling in the sub continent and they tried to go without..just thought amazing that it really was considered an abnormal thing to do, but at same time I would love to try it. I never take laptop or tablet on holidays with me but an iphone is enough to reduce productivity to zero. In fact overall i find myself losing so much time to just mindless web surfing day to day, and I don't even use facebook. In the article it said it felt great to just live in the present and really connect to people and environment around you..just being in a state of mindfulness. Sounds pretty appealing.

well..I rely on my laptop for pretty much all non-personal interactions from work (design programs, skype calls, email etc) to friends (FB, email. forums etc) to entertainment (movies, TV, ebooks etc...all D/L's or streaming) and mental nourishment (news, wiki's, history, geography etc etc)...its just all there these days and contained in this nice neat portable LT package

Pretty much the only times I am not on the "net" these days is when I am asleep or out and about in the daytime....I still refuse to have a smart phone for this very reason...I am already way too reliant on netcomms and need a break each day...even if it is just for a few hours

I wouldnt mind trying it... might be a bit of relief, if only for a little bit.

I've been going to the Burning Man festival every year since 2008. Among other things, it's a week away from the default world that encourages real interactions between people. Until this year, there was no cell reception available due to the remote location. Fortunately, even with some coverage on the ATT network his year, the Burning Man culture is such that you don't see people using their phones unless it's to take some pictures. I always find it a welcome change of pace. It encourages people to get out and explore the area, meet new people and try new things.
    My camp specializes in providing experiences that most people never get a chance to try. They frequently leave with a changed view of their world, and will come back the following year to tell us about that.
    Thin White Duke likes this.

^ that sounds pretty awesome

I saw some amazing pics of that.

I guess alcohol is not the drug of choice there....?

Trying to live in the present is something I am really trying to make an effort to embrace. I'm forever worrying about something - the future, money, happiness, job and even find my mind wandering to absolutely ridiculous things that I shouldn't be worrying about at all, i mean, whilst the immigration problem is very real and a tragedy why the hell am i spending time thinking about it! More I think about it the huge quantities of readily available news and information we get bombarded by online seems to amplify the problem, for me at least. Being totally focused and concentrated in the present would be so good I might just switch off and try to live off gird...but it's raining right now so maybe wait till that stops
    davis121 likes this.

I just don't see it as an issue
    I think there is enough time in the day to be on the internet but not shut yourself off

I've had my phone off for a month now while I query their crazy data charges.

Absolute bliss think it might become permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by Thin White Duke View Post
    I saw some amazing pics of that.

I guess alcohol is not the drug of choice there....?
    Interestingly enough, many camps are basically bar camps that serve drinks throughout the day. However the emphasis is on promoting social interaction, rather than just getting shit-faced. Given all the things going on around the area, everyone has fun stories to tell.
    An important aspect of the event is being self-reliant. The environment can be quite harsh, and basic survival is an issue. This discourages excessive drug usage, though there are always those who must learn this the hard way. Yet in a week or more of opportunities for total sensory overload, most of the real participants find drugs and alcohol to be un-necessary distractions.
    Thin White Duke likes this.

I put up a few photos of our shenanagins in the Photography Extravaganza thread.

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    Trying to live in the present is something I am really trying to make an effort to embrace. I'm forever worrying about something - the future, money, happiness, job and even find my mind wandering to absolutely ridiculous things that I shouldn't be worrying about at all, i mean, whilst the immigration problem is very real and a tragedy why the hell am i spending time thinking about it! More I think about it the huge quantities of readily available news and information we get bombarded by online seems to amplify the problem, for me at least. Being totally focused and concentrated in the present would be so good I might just switch off and try to live off gird...but it's raining right now so maybe wait till that stops
    I actually think thatís an extremely important topic. Worrying about issues you have little control over can basically eat you alive, if you donít take mental actions to reclaim the narrative in your own mind.

For me, Iíve been scared of death since my early teens, or growing old in general for that matter. But in later years, Iíve also come to accept the inevitable. So I try these days to look at the future as a curve or horizon of sorts. Mental images always work well for me 555. So the further away any possible future events stray from the immediate presence, the blurrier they get.

Just so many alternative outcomes involved. So the importance and brain-power should always be focused and expended on the immediate future. But you then of course need to revisit short-term or long-term goals occasionally, just not happenstance. Oh, sorry if that came out rambling and sounding like a new age life-style guru. Blames the Sang-Song after a tough immediate week. Trying to direct the focus does actually work though. At least it has for me.

Hey SDK if I lived where you do I would just get a Thai gal and not think tooo much
    WarProfiteer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thin White Duke View Post

Hey SDK if I lived where you do I would just get a Thai gal and not think tooo much
    Nah. Tried that already. Turned out to be even more stressful than thinking about death. In fact at times I'd more prefer the latter. No guessing what the future brings though...
    WarProfiteer likes this.

^That's because you go for women who are too Butch SDK... 55

I think about death a lot as well. But not so much my own, as other people's... I find that harder to rationalise than my own demise...

Put me in the selfish category then... I am more worried about my own death than anybody else on the planet.

That said, my parents are getting older, so I'd like to make some arrangements that we spend more time together. I actually have a nice dialogue with both of them over Skype these days, and probably "closer" than when I lived a few blocks away.

Funny thing is, one additional reason I am still here is because of my dog. No way I am going to leave him to fend for himself in a Phuket pound or on the street. And that's perhaps my biggest worry right now.

EDIT: Oh, thought this was the Side Effects thread, but just realized it wasn't...
    Last edited by sundancekid; 25th September 2015 at 22:51.

I'm much more worried about poor health than death... or a long drawn out death of course. But death itself doesn't seem so bad as you won't know much about it when you are gone... and if you do, it will probably be quite interesting... on the other side..

Hey you guys should listen to some Leonard Cohen

It will cheer you up.
    Waharoa likes this.

I am not worried about death in the slightest.. Not one tiny little bit.. In fact I am actually looking forward to it..

I mean, how can you not be insanely curious about this one thing you can only get to experience once, that everyone who ever lived has and (so far) will experience.. That has all kinds of accounts of out of body experiences etc etc.. How can you not be looking forward to answering that massive question. The possibility, however slim, of meeting lost loves.

I am of course concerned about pain, and illness.. I would rather go quickly and healthy than slowly, painfully, and old..
    Waharoa and BroTiger like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast