Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Travel questions

Travel questions

Answers required from the more traveled

1) Can you buy tickets say from UK to OZ that do a few day stop off in-between in BKK or singers or do you have to buy them as two separate tickets?

And one for dual nationals....

2) If i exit UK on a UK passport I can't then just switch passports when I land in OZ and enter OZ on my NZ passport can I? This just sounds dodgy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    Answers required from the more traveled

1) Can you buy tickets say from UK to OZ that do a few day stop off in-between in BKK or singers or do you have to buy them as two separate tickets?

And one for dual nationals....

2) If i exit UK on a UK passport I can't then just switch passports when I land in OZ and enter OZ on my NZ passport can I? This just sounds dodgy.

Thanks
    Yes... and yes.... I do both all the time... though replace Oz with NZ for me... you just have to make sure you leave a country on the same passport you entered on. But can enter another country on a different passport... I've done it dozens of times.

So to the 1st q is that a yes to you can buy single tickets that has few days stop or a yes to needing two separate tickets? 555

So to the 1st q is that a yes to you can buy single tickets that has few days stop or a yes to needing two separate tickets? 555
    Single booking, with a few days stop, though I have never done it one way... as I always return.... and often have stopovers of a few days/couple of weeks in both directions... on a single booking... but you get a separate ticket/boarding pass for each leg obviously...
    kris-one likes this.

you can buy tickets from the major carriers (ie not on the likes of Air Asia etc) with a few days stopover in Asia....I used to do this all the time travelling for work from AUS to Europe....sometimes you pay a little more, sometimes they allow it foc...depends on the class of your ticket...you may well need to use an agent for this as many online ticketing sites break it into two flights
    kris-one likes this.

Ah ok, that makes sense, I have been looking at Lastminute.com etc and can't see how you do it. Will take a look direct with the airlines.

Ah ok, that makes sense, I have been looking at Lastminute.com etc and can't see how you do it. Will take a look direct with the airlines.
    Expedia and Kayak allow it. Have you tried selecting multi-city option? Often it's not much difference in price having a stopover... if anything.
    kris-one likes this.

^Fantastic, expedia do it, one way london->BKK->Sydney 650. Not as lumpy as I thought it was going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    Expedia and Kayak allow it. Have you tried selecting multi-city option? Often it's not much difference in price having a stopover... if anything.

really..every time I have done a fare compare on those and the other usual suspects with a multi city or stopover option they have been ridiculous prices

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    really..every time I have done a fare compare on those and the other usual suspects with a multi city or stopover option they have been ridiculous prices
    Can be. But I have even found sometimes the stopover option is cheaper than not having a stopover... but I always compare to make sure there isn't much difference... if there is, I change my dates until the price is good... also changing the time you fly can help...

^Fantastic, expedia do it, one way london->BKK->Sydney 650. Not as lumpy as I thought it was going to be.
    So you booked already? You don't muck about... usually takes me days of trying till I am happy with a price... 55

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    So you booked already? You don't muck about... usually takes me days of trying till I am happy with a price... 55
    No not yet. But will be by end of today. Finally sorted out my stuff here, finally received a custard pie from a job interview I had a few weeks ago, agreed to rent out my flat, my on/off gf is now sorted which has been keeping me back. I literally have no excuses, i got to go!
    Waharoa and quiksilva like this.

May as well go to a country still in the world cup...

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    I literally do stop-overs on 80% of my flights or fly into one city but fly back from another and always very reasonable on Orbitz
    Never any big hike...........with the exception of sometimes

Sounds dodgy, but you can.

IIRC, you have to enter and exit Australia on the same passport though.

OTOH, if you're entering Oz as a Kiwi you're going to have to start calling everyone "cuzzie bro". Thems the rules :P

BTW, when and where are you coming to Australia if you dont mind me asking.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Will be in Sydney end of October after few day stop off in LOS. No plan on job, going to play it by ear. Fingers crossed will be able to pick something up.

Will be in Sydney end of October after few day stop off in LOS. No plan on job, going to play it by ear. Fingers crossed will be able to pick something up.
    K1
    Shoot me a PM
    I only know 1 place I might be able to recommend you to in Sydney
    It's my OMS, trading system.............they have offices in Sydney and I get on great with my Canadian guys

Sydney is a bit like Australia's London... except for the culture, and the excellent public transport system, and the interesting people... OK it's nothing like London, but it is Australia's most expensive city. Its one of the few places where rents aren't dropping in Oz at the moment. Sydney is your best bet for the Finance industry.

My advice is to be aggressive at job hunting in Nov because everyone winds down for Christmas in Dec. Closing off projects and getting BAU done before the Christmas break, so no-ones got time for hiring.

I'm not trying to dissuade you, I certainly understand why you want to try living in another country but Australia is long overdue for a recession. Get yourself secure here quickly.

Here's a few tips.
    - Wear sunscreen. Seriously, Englishmen melt over here in Aussie summer. Sydney is particularly humid too. 25C is a cold day in summer.
    -Some Aussie phrases you'll need:
    14 Aussie phrases we should all be using - Matador Network
    Australian slang: Your favourite examples - BBC News
    - And a short lexicon. You're going to have to learn to speak 'Strayan.
    Australian slang dictionary
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

I got bout 4-6 months worth of funds so if worst come to worst will just travel round OZ

I got bout 4-6 months worth of funds so if worst come to worst will just travel round OZ
    What's the situation with your job back in the UK Kris? Can you just step back into it on arrival back or is it back to the job seeking?

I'm interested as its looks like you are taking a gap year after uni and for that I don't blame you.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast