Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Mizzou

Mizzou

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2428944

Crazy situation at the University of Missouri. Not sure why they wouldn't want the event covered by the press (the student press no less) and especially why this professor of communications is leading the charge for "muscle" to get the student reporter out of there. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail and they will get back to teaching and learning.

It's all absolutely ridiculous.........
    It is happening at Yale also

It's these coddled, entitled millenials
    And this is the direct result of the coddling of these kids that has been going on for the last 2 decades or so............that everyone gets a trophy, that no one is at fault for failures, etc...

At Mizzou..........The President acknowledged they needed to act quicker to these situations but the protest group wanted him to "admit his white privilege"

At Yale..........a professor responded to a University wide email warning of offensive Halloween costumes that they had to be careful not to limit people expressing themselves...............basically saying let's not go overboard.
    For that the protestors demanding her and HER PROFESSOR husband resign
    And watch the video..........the husband professor couldn't have been more reasonable

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...st-black-dean/
    tnlawyer, billpay and Homer like this.

Do the protests have a valid point? It's a general protest against endemic racism isn't it? Or is it something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    Do the protests have a valid point? It's a general protest against endemic racism isn't it? Or is it something else?
    Some of the protests do have a valid point..........but their demands and expectations are a bit overboard.........complaining that the School President didn't respond fast enough to a student complete on racism because he took 6 days..........then demanding he "admit his white privilege"

Yale's protest are absurd given the email they were protesting

Just an excuse to misbehave. God help us when these kids graduate and enter the workforce. I can see it now. I demand (insert silly demand here) or else. Guess what? You're fucking FIRED.

How long before this spreads to other campuses? Seems the potential no show of the football players was the final nail in the coffin of the Head so potentially all you need is some "activist" to get in the ear of other players at different unis and you can see it spreading no?

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    How long before this spreads to other campuses? Seems the potential no show of the football players was the final nail in the coffin of the Head so potentially all you need is some "activist" to get in the ear of other players at different unis and you can see it spreading no?
    It will spread because they are all filled with the same coddled, entitltied, every one wins a trophy kids.....
    This is just the resultbwr have said is coming from this for a long time.

America also had become a country of platforms with nothing really behind it because of social media
    It's so easy to be outraged over the next something w/o really being for it
    Just get it rolling on Twitter
    Homer likes this.

4th Turnings.. Internal conflicts.. Social instability.. Loss of faith in institutions and leadership structures..
    tnlawyer and Homer like this.

Could factor in economics into the equation as well... once Mizzou's college football team went on strike, his number was up. The football program generates too much money (for the university) to have that grant to a halt.

IMO, the left just going tooo far. Intolerant of free speech and first amendment rights??...and pc run amok. Don't even have the RIGHT to disagree with them....wtf.
    tnlawyer and Easycpl like this.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    It's all absolutely ridiculous.........
    It is happening at Yale also

At Yale..........a professor responded to a University wide email warning of offensive Halloween costumes that they had to be careful not to limit people expressing themselves...............basically saying let's not go overboard.
    For that the protestors demanding her and HER PROFESSOR husband resign
    And watch the video..........the husband professor couldn't have been more reasonable

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...st-black-dean/
    The short video in that is just the crazy girl - his actual response is much much better.

"other people have rights too, not just you."
    tnlawyer likes this.

How long before Ms. Click gets fired from her shitty $57,000 a year job teaching and researching people who read 50 Shades of Gray and social media interaction with Lady Gaga? Real scholar right there....

^Hey, not just anyone can do that job!55555
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by tnlawyer View Post
    How long before Ms. Click gets fired from her shitty $57,000 a year job teaching and researching people who read 50 Shades of Gray and social media interaction with Lady Gaga? Real scholar right there....
    All the teachers that were involved and putting their hands on the student reporter and calling for "muscle" to remove him should be fired

What's ironic, or moronic.........is that idiot Click had sent out a message 3 days earlier asking the media to help get the word out
    LivinLOS and tnlawyer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by billpay View Post
    IMO, the left just going tooo far. Intolerant of free speech and first amendment rights??...and pc run amok. Don't even have the RIGHT to disagree with them....wtf.
    I disagree.............this idiot coddled kids don't even know the meanings of all that..........they have never been told no

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    The short video in that is just the crazy girl - his actual response is much much better.

"other people have rights too, not just you."
    Let me preface this with.. I am hazy on the full backstory..

But nothing this man said could intelligently be argued with.. Its like 'whose whiter than white' or perhaps blacker than black.. If you have an issue with the content argue with the content, not the speaker or messenger..

Without wanting to sound like a broken record.. In so many aspects of the modern media world I hear, I feel like I am seeing or hearing echos of this social change which 4th turnings make. Maybe all periods have it and I am superimposing those aspects onto it, but somehow I doubt it.. Theres a vibe that we should be smart enough to see and feel, from race riots, to partisan politics, to a kind of angst.. and its happened before, it has social and economic reasons.. and seeing the trends, rather than being part of them, has to be the smarter play..
    Waharoa likes this.

All the teachers that were involved and putting their hands on the student reporter and calling for "muscle" to remove him should be fired

What's ironic, or moronic.........is that idiot Click had sent out a message 3 days earlier asking the media to help get the word out
    From what little I've read about the situation, I absolutely agree with that as well. Horrified to see a faculty member acting that way.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Let me preface this with.. I am hazy on the full backstory..

But nothing this man said could intelligently be argued with.. Its like 'whose whiter than white' or perhaps blacker than black.. If you have an issue with the content argue with the content, not the speaker or messenger..

Without wanting to sound like a broken record.. In so many aspects of the modern media world I hear, I feel like I am seeing or hearing echos of this social change which 4th turnings make. Maybe all periods have it and I am superimposing those aspects onto it, but somehow I doubt it.. Theres a vibe that we should be smart enough to see and feel, from race riots, to partisan politics, to a kind of angst.. and its happened before, it has social and economic reasons.. and seeing the trends, rather than being part of them, has to be the smarter play..
    Your making way too much out of this than it is.
    I don't think you understand how entitled and unknowledgable these kids are
    As I keep on pounding.............all this is, is the fruition of the last 2 decades of every kid getting a trophy, every slight turned into someone being "bullied", all these kids never hearing no.

Now I do think other movements have some element of what you are referring to...........but it's not these coddled college kids that need their "safe space"

Your making way too much out of this than it is.
    I don't think you understand how entitled and unknowledgable these kids are
    As I keep on pounding.............all this is, is the fruition of the last 2 decades of every kid getting a trophy, every slight turned into someone being "bullied", all these kids never hearing no.

Now I do think other movements have some element of what you are referring to...........but it's not these coddled college kids that need their "safe space"
    Agree that's a big part of it, and I've tried to raise my kids such that they don't have a sense of entitlement and that they do have thick skin. I'm still laughing about the University Police asking people to call them to report "hurtful speech". We're officially a nation of pussies.
    Easycpl likes this.

Now Ithaca College is demanding the President resign.

They asked one black kid why he is protesting and he said he never had a black professor!
    You have the ability, quite easy, to set the makeup of the faculty before you choose to attend a school. If you feel there isn't enough diversity, go to a school that has it.

Also. This is one of the examples they are giving. One of their most famous alums referred to another alum, a black girl as The Savage.......it was clearly a compliment after she said herself that she had a "Savage hunger"

Now they are talking about microagrrssions and safe places.
    Fxuk me..

Watch the YouTube clip.....he is clearly complimenting her

Update: Fallout continues from controversial Blue Sky kickoff | The Ithacan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast