Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Internet and alternative TV….

Internet and alternative TV….

There was some reference on the Frugal thread, but as I've recently got some good news, I decided to start a TV specific thread.

The good news is that I'm getting fiber to my condo, and should finally have a good (20M/10M) internet connection for the first time. I notice a lot of the BM's use some kind of internet based service/device/website to get their video content, and I'm wondering specifically what means you all are using, and how you like it. There seem to be a plethora of LAN connected TV "boxes" that connect to internet streamed content and provide a TV like remote controlled user interface like ROKU etc. with separate video processing and control in the box itself, almost like using a cable or satellite box. Others are website based streaming services, and then there's torrent based download stuff. I've been using Patong basic cable and it sucks. The only watchable content I get is BBC world service and Al Jazeera news. My Thai is not good enough yet to get anything meaningful from all the Thai channels available, and I'm starved for some regular, watchable, zone-outable, viewing.

I'd like to be able to get US, and international based news and sports in real time, along with movies and TV series from the West. The True top of the line satellite package looked palatable, but it's expensive, and requires (as far as I can tell) the BIG dish which I cannot mount on my condo. It looks like the internet solution is my best chance now that I'll have fiber and decent speeds.

I'd like to get some advice from you seasoned viewers about what you're using, how much it cost(s) and how you like it. I just bought 2 new TVs but don't have anything besides DVDs worth watching on them. I'd love to be able to zone-out to a nice NHL hockey game, new series, etc. I have a US based Netflix account but haven't really gotten it to work through my VPN…. I'm hoping a high speed connection will solve that but I don't know if I'll be able to do that or not. If I can get a good viewing experience, it will go a long way towards justifying the 1490B a month I'll be paying for fiber internet.

Love to get your insights and experience on this one...
    "They got the metric system over there… they wouldn't know what the fcuk a quarter-pounder is…"

Not sure about sports, but they heavily regionally lock those so you'll need specific advice about each sport for that.

I "cut the cord" years ago, For a while I just didn't watch much TV because very little of what was being produced was worth watching and ads were becoming too annoying. However recently Netflix came to Oz and I've been catching up on a fair few shows, both old and new using Netflix rather than downloading them on Bit Torrent.

At just A$12 it's a lot cheaper and I get to watch what I want, when I want to and all without ads. I haven't looked back.

Chances are I'll be getting rid of my Victorian era TV (I'm pretty sure it's 8 years old now) and I dont think I'll be buying a replacement.

I'm going to say it, the TV is dead, long live the TV.

EDIT: RE: your sig, it's 114 grams.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

I did post on here before about a bargain @ 7k THB but to be honest after a bit more research in hindsight the guy was like Dick Turpin without the mask!!! ......I got robbed!

Something like this is all you need for about 2k - this one actually comes pre-loaded with all Thai TV for the missus and the rest of the apps you can search for easily and get online.

Android Smart Box Quad Core (?????????? 2015) Full HD 1080P CS918/RK3188 ??? ??? HDMI 1???? ???? ????????? 2 ???? | Lazada.co.th

If you do get it or something similar and need some help just PM me no worries!

ntv.mx

Great for sports and everything else for that matter

Some of the main apps I have downloaded (all free)

4 Popcorn Imitation apps - with all latest movies

Free UK Sports - Sky Sports 1/2/3/4/, BT sports and loads of others

Filmon TV - All UK live channels + lots of other countries

USTV - things like HBO and loads of other US channels

NFL OPROB - Loads of NFL!

Am still looking for more but a huge selection there free of charge
    Last edited by davis121; 12th November 2015 at 09:49.

Actually been thinking of this thread topic myself. It is however a huge subject, from the hardware you can use, to the media indexing software, to streaming add ons pirate or paid services etc etc. Also very much depends on how you like to consume media, on demand, live Tv, etc etc..

I run Kodi on Amazon FireTV boxes (a crippled / custom android) and do really like Kodi as a base system.. Plex and a few others do similar but kodis framework is more open and extendable. I have 3 of those 'nodes' all on my home Net with a Home NAS. Most of my viewing is downloaded content from torrents. I also use TinyMediaManager to index and rename everything as I download it and make it into formats that work perfectly with Kodi.. This also gets all the cover art, posters, meta data, etc etc so it looks slick in Kodi. Kodi can be controlled with the fireTV remote decently (but volume is still on the TV only which I dislike hence will be buying 3x sidekick remotes to pair with the fireTV RF remote) https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...g-experience-0 and you can also use a tablet, iPad, or Phone to control Kodi too, which makes for a pretty slick experience as you can browse your media in your hand, then it plays on the screen with the same interfaces on all devices. I bought a chromecast in the UK a couple of months ago and its a slick little device, but doesnt fit my use pattern much here in Thailand, I keep it on the office / study TV so I can cast any video from my desktop to a real screen, but rarely do.. Its a slick bit of kit, and I used it a lot at my mums in the UK, I can see its potential, but its not so needed in my system.

I watch very little live TV.. I was signed up to IPTV Private Server for MAG250, MAG254, KODI, AVOV, IPTV Stalker, Android IPTV, Stalker, STB Emulator, IPTV Live Channels, VoD for a few months which is 700 or so channels and 80 a year.. I let it go a few months ago (and dont miss it much) but for that cost will probably resub.. This works inside Kodi again so its all in one interface.. LiveTV, Downloaded TV Shows and Movies, also local music collections. But also can work with a MAG250 emulator on android boxes etc.. Also for live TV I have the filmon app and iPlayer both launched inside Kodi (also a few other UK ones like TVPlayer but never really use it).. I do use iPlayer quite a lot, I can stream the HD feeds just fine with 3BB fiber and the BBC has a lot of good programming and allows for timeshifting / on demand. The UK/BBC natural history programming is the best in the world IMO and I use iPlayer for that content. Also good for when your after something to mong out to, QI or Have I got news for you type quiz shows are all there for that kind of TV and the iPlayer app is good on the TV interface with a simple remote (the google play iPlayer app is superior to the amazon specific app).. I just wish the BBC would up the anti a little for networked homes and allow tablet control of a TV box, perhaps the download scheduler which works on the PC to automatically download your favorite shows could be a central server and play to boxes.. Loads they could do with this system to grow it, but its still very much the best TV channels attempt at next gen TV interface.

To do my DNS masking to get around geo locks I use unotelly (48 USD a year). This also unlocks Netflix which I have access through a family members account but honestly, if its on Netflix I can find a torrent of it and I almost never open the app as I much prefer Kodis indexing and interface. Its funny how the paid services almost always are less user friendly than the pirate ones, so even with paid access, I use the non legit way of accessing the same stuff.

For live sports, acestream provides clear p2p streams, but finding the stream initially can be a hassle.. I really dont understand why theres no 'popcorn time' interface for these links as P2P live TV just is so sensible a distribution system but is right now a bit clunky to use.. I still have a few months left on my 1 year GMMTV satellite package but the fact its one box in only the living room makes it less useful to me. It does however give me easy access to crystal clear non buffering HD UFC fights or MotoGP without any effort.. Considering its only 5k a year and gives my missus the ThaiTV simply in a way she likes (easy remote etc) I might keep it. I keep meaning to buy myself a slingbox500 so that the sat feed can be streamed around the house into Kodi on the bedroom / study systems, but hard to buy here in Thailand and it just comes back to that 'hardly ever watch live TV any more' thing.

Theres a bunch of services like ILikeHD which also runs on android boxes, If you want a very easy out of the box system for LiveTV (and some timeshifting) here in Thailand, and dont mind paying for it.. This is sort of idiot proof, runs on everything, and works well.. Good simple system for those who struggle fiddling around with Kodi etc.

Quote Originally Posted by davis121 View Post
    this one actually comes pre-loaded with all Thai TV for the missus and the rest of the apps you can search for easily and get online.
    I havent found a good ThaiTV android app yet.. she uses 3BB cloudIPTV with a browser.. And a few android apps I installed testing were a pain (all in Thai, not widescreen content so pillarboxed etc).

Care to share the name of the app ?? Its hard to look as Thai developers often dont list any english data on play store etc.

Quote Originally Posted by junkhouse View Post
    ntv.mx

Great for sports and everything else for that matter
    Looks decent.. and has an XBMC / Kodi add on..

Not cheap for whats stolen content, but not a shocker either. Might have a play with that for a month or so and see how it works out.. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I havent found a good ThaiTV android app yet.. she uses 3BB cloudIPTV with a browser.. And a few android apps I installed testing were a pain (all in Thai, not widescreen content so pillarboxed etc).

Care to share the name of the app ?? Its hard to look as Thai developers often dont list any english data on play store etc.
    One is 'Thai Digital TV' and the other is 'TV Thailand'......I did have a quick look yesterday and couldnt see one on playstore....so maybe might be easier to just upload all the apps to dropbox or something and share ?!?!?
    LivinLOS likes this.

Thread resurrection time. Got a streaming box just before Xmas and have been having a play with what is available and also some add-ons that appear worth having. Genesis is unfortunately down and finished as it had a similar interface and content to Popcorn Time.
    In no particular order, for films including pre cinema release in the UK.
    Phoenix
    HuluBox
    Dexter TV
    For all Sky Sports, Movie Channels and BT sports
    Dexter TV
    Live Football
    RoboRepo

Got any worth sharing?
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

I discovered that popcorn time isnt dead.. New version with a built in VPN system and slicker interface works just as the last one did..
    dawsey likes this.

Not working for me Sef. Did you have to download it again or did it just come back using the old programme/app, whatever the hell you call it 555

Been back in the States for the Holidays, and picked up a Matricom Gbox-Q android box, 2GB 16GB octo-core GPU, pretty hi-spec. I'm currently learning my way around Kodi/addons and all that jive, as well as running the new Popcorn time app on the Macbook. There IS a learning curve, but I think I'm climbing it.

Biggest problem is my stateside internet speeds suck horribly as my home is outside of town, and I'm on a wireless radio point to point system. It's the best I can get here, but we'll be back to Patong in another 10 days and my new (woohoo!) fiber optic connection. I think the setup should work well there. It looks like I can run a separate hard drive from the kodi box for storage and management, so I'll be picking up a 2TB portable drive as well while we're here.

I'm sure I'll have lots more fine tuning to do, and am looking forward to advancing this thread a bit, now that I'm in the game. I need to figure out how to get my box to route through my VPN next.

Thanks for the pointers guys… At least I've got a start.
    "They got the metric system over there… they wouldn't know what the fcuk a quarter-pounder is…"

Quote Originally Posted by dawsey View Post
    Not working for me Sef. Did you have to download it again or did it just come back using the old programme/app, whatever the hell you call it 555
    Answered my own question by uninstalling and reinstalling from popcorntime-se.
    Streaming seamlessly again. Thanks for mentioning that.

Well, got the VPN working on both the Macbook, and the Android box… It's easy to select servers on the macbook, but quite cumbersome on the android box, as you seem to have to set up a separate VPN profile for each different VPN server you might want to use. The Mac software gives me an immediately accessible drop down menu for server selection, click, boom...while on the android box it requires going through a bunch of clicks and menus to set a VPN selection, not very user friendly...

But it's forward progress anyway….

Quote Originally Posted by Easycpl View Post
    It looks like I can run a separate hard drive from the kodi box for storage and management, so I'll be picking up a 2TB portable drive as well while we're here.
    Strongly suggest getting a NAS.. A hard disk that hangs on the network rather than any one box or computer.. Not a big added cost.

Also for future growth, possibly worth looking for a NAS that can run a MySQL database too (mine doesnt) as thats further down the kodi growth line. With that you can keep all your watched unwatched etc on all kodi boxes synced in the house, pause and resume in other locations, etc etc... Kind of handy.

I made the same mistakes.. Bought a had disk caddy, then bought a nas, then had to solve the mysql in my boxes rather than with the nas.

Quote Originally Posted by dawsey View Post
    Answered my own question by uninstalling and reinstalling from popcorntime-se.
    Streaming seamlessly again. Thanks for mentioning that.
    Yeah needs a new install.. After all the 'death of popcorn time' things I read online I would have thought the resurrection would have been more widely announced.

Works exactly as advertized and makes it so easy no wonder netflix etc is worried. Now with the VPN aspect its safe enough to leave on my mums setup as I didnt want her to be getting any threatening letters etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Easycpl View Post
    Well, got the VPN working on both the Macbook, and the Android box… It's easy to select servers on the macbook, but quite cumbersome on the android box, as you seem to have to set up a separate VPN profile for each different VPN server you might want to use. The Mac software gives me an immediately accessible drop down menu for server selection, click, boom...while on the android box it requires going through a bunch of clicks and menus to set a VPN selection, not very user friendly...

But it's forward progress anyway….
    Are you using a VPN for security / privacy or to beat geolocation lockouts and access content while out of the countries ??

For geo-location I am using unotelly DNS masking.. In your config panel you can set different sites to different countries, so I can set iPlayer to be UK, netflix to USA, BTSport to UK, ABC to Australia etc.. All in one setup (most is automatic anyway, you only need to choose for services that have different places like Netflix or amazon prime)..

Thats not a VPN service (tho they do also offer one) but a DNS masking system.. So its not anonymizing you in countries where theres piracy controls, but in Thailand thats not an issue.

They have android apps and desktop apps but I set up my desktop to keep my IP sycned with the service, and just use their DNS service on my media boxes without using the app. Set it and forget it.

Are you using a VPN for security / privacy or to beat geolocation lockouts and access content while out of the countries ??

For geo-location I am using unotelly DNS masking.. In your config panel you can set different sites to different countries, so I can set iPlayer to be UK, netflix to USA, BTSport to UK, ABC to Australia etc.. All in one setup (most is automatic anyway, you only need to choose for services that have different places like Netflix or amazon prime)..

Thats not a VPN service (tho they do also offer one) but a DNS masking system.. So its not anonymizing you in countries where theres piracy controls, but in Thailand thats not an issue.

They have android apps and desktop apps but I set up my desktop to keep my IP sycned with the service, and just use their DNS service on my media boxes without using the app. Set it and forget it.
    Uh…. wow, I had to look up a bunch of stuff just to decipher that post. I'm not quite up to that technical level yet. I'm using the VPN for several reasons:

One, because I can't log into one of My US based email accounts from outside the US because it thinks I'm a Chinese hacker or something and firewalls me out.

2: Because I'm a little concerned about Uncle P's "security" ambitions, and I like to be able to access any website or content I like from behind the Great Firewall of Th***and.

3: Because of general concerns about downloading copyrighted materials, and the broad wish to present as low a profile as I can (old but good habits)

4: Because I distrust my home government even more than I do these jokers.

I must admit that I really don't understand the geo-location game fully. I recognize that different services offer different content based on viewers country, but I'm not sure how to implement a strategy to give me the best viewing options based on this. I thought I needed an IP address that was from the region I wanted to appear to be from, hence a proxy server in that locale by VPN.

Also I'm struggling with getting some of the Kodi add-on streams to work, and I sense that at least sometimes it's about my IP address, but I'm not savvy enough to know how to determine this and address it effectively. I'm still a total beginner here and trying to claw my way up the learning curve.

I will look into UnoTelly, is it really free? or is it one of those deals that kind of cripples the free version to get you to upgrade to the paid product? Is there an android app I can just install on my box? Also does it offer any advantage over using a VPN, since I need to have a VPN for other reasons anyway, or is it "just different"?

Yeah needs a new install.. After all the 'death of popcorn time' things I read online I would have thought the resurrection would have been more widely announced.

Works exactly as advertized and makes it so easy no wonder netflix etc is worried. Now with the VPN aspect its safe enough to leave on my mums setup as I didnt want her to be getting any threatening letters etc.
    If your Mum has Virgin they will block Popcorntime automatically. I had to use Cyberghost VPN to download the app as I got a warning notice from Virgin displayed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast