Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By nelsonone
  • 1 Post By dontpanic
  • 1 Post By WarProfiteer

Thread: BM's 2016 Plans

BM's 2016 Plans

Around this time of year I start getting ideas for next Summer's trip. When I left Thailand earlier this year I wasn't overwhelmed with the thought that I'dbe back next year and looked forward to a new city to check out in Hong Kong. Nearly 6 months later and not much has changed. I had toyed with the idea of inter-railing around Europe, maybe doing some train travel in the US but the same two things pop up, cost of decent hotels and the cost of eating/drinking. This had me looking towards Asia again. I reminded myself of my 2013 trip to Cambodia and how I did have this feeling that I should have spent more time there, 10 nights between PP and Siem Reap just wasn't enough when you factor in all the touristy stuff I did although this did lead me to think that maybe if I went back I may be a little bored especially during the day. But from a cost point of view once you get there Cambodia really does seem hard to beat. Maybe the Phillipennes comes close?

I'm going to continue looking around, at the moment Sihanoukville and Phnom Penh is jumping out at me. Maybe a Patts/Samui combination although Patts is seeming a bit same same.

Anyway to get back on topic I just thought it would be an idea to see if other board members were thinking of heading off next year and to where and why?

if you end up going to Cambodia again the Snooky/Kampot/Kep trip is well worthwhile....different types of experiences over a relatively small distance so can be done in say a week to 10 days...I'd suggest 4-5 days in Snooky and a similar amount spread over Kampot + Kep
    LivinLOS likes this.

If the naughty nightlife is not a high priority , then I had a great time travelling around Burma earlier this year . Yangon - Bagan - cruise to Mandalay - Inle Lake - Ngapali - Yangon.

Something else I might look at is Vietnam ( over 20 years since my last visit ) Hanoi - Halong Bay - Hue - NaTrang - Saigon is the route I did before , but missed out Halong Bay first time
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

No main plans of a LOS holiday on the horizon bar a potential short stop over on route to land down under. I feel I lost a bit of love for LOS after going 3 times in 2014. I always overdo things And besides, I'm pretty brassic at the moment. When I eventually reach OZ & NZ looking around those two countries will be first on the agenda I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    Around this time of year I start getting ideas for next Summer's trip. When I left Thailand earlier this year I wasn't overwhelmed with the thought that I'dbe back next year and looked forward to a new city to check out in Hong Kong. Nearly 6 months later and not much has changed. I had toyed with the idea of inter-railing around Europe, maybe doing some train travel in the US but the same two things pop up, cost of decent hotels and the cost of eating/drinking. This had me looking towards Asia again. I reminded myself of my 2013 trip to Cambodia and how I did have this feeling that I should have spent more time there, 10 nights between PP and Siem Reap just wasn't enough when you factor in all the touristy stuff I did although this did lead me to think that maybe if I went back I may be a little bored especially during the day. But from a cost point of view once you get there Cambodia really does seem hard to beat. Maybe the Phillipennes comes close?

I'm going to continue looking around, at the moment Sihanoukville and Phnom Penh is jumping out at me. Maybe a Patts/Samui combination although Patts is seeming a bit same same.

Anyway to get back on topic I just thought it would be an idea to see if other board members were thinking of heading off next year and to where and why?
    What prices you looking to pay for hotels when looking at US?
    There are very good hotels for relatively good prices if you know how to look

Also, don't know about your flights but I loved the DR and Central and South America
    If you are getting bored of Asia

Thailand for me again for two reasons.

The first is I holidayed at home last year and it rained every fecking day, so as soon as I got back I booked two weeks in the sun at the earliest available time, which happens to fall over Songkran.

The second is because I want my Mrs to see her family (she doesn't seem overly fussed but it's only been 18 months away) but she's more interested in the food. The kids also have to see their family, plus it gives us time to dump them on the in-laws while we go away for a few days for some alone time. Probably Patong for 5 or 6 days, maybe the 9th-14th, I've done Songkran in the sticks so I'll see it in Patong this time around.

I can't really be arsed with Patong but it's familiar and a decent base for doing some more day trips from, and the overnight trip where you stay at Maya Bay and hopefully get to see the phosphoric plankton which I've wanted to go on for years.

It would've been nice to see some more of Asia or the US but so long as I have some sunshine, cheap food and a daily massage I'll be happy, the rest can wait.

I get the US hotels prices thing, I looked at doing NY or the West coast a few years ago and that's what put me off too... so I went to LOS instead, for the temples.

Yes
    i am back to Chiang mai in February for 3 weeks.

Then a road trip to North Queensland for a couple of months to miss most of the Australian winter

Then back to LOS in August,I like low season.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    What prices you looking to pay for hotels when looking at US?
    There are very good hotels for relatively good prices if you know how to look

Also, don't know about your flights but I loved the DR and Central and South America
    I still quite like Asia, just need a break from Pattaya I think as I've been there 6 times since 2011. Price wise I can get a really nice 4*+ in Cambodia or Thailand for 50-60 euro a night, if I wasn't entirely fussy I could cut that in half but I have a liking for nice hotels. I don't think there's much cities on the tourist trail in America that could even come close to that. Not only that but food and drink is three to four times more expensive. Similar story in Europe.

Definitely looking for some p4p action and I really like the Cambo scene last time out, I liked the girls attitudes and I didn't get the impression that they're out to bleed you for every dollar. My drawback is that I do tend to get bored during the day as I do my drinking at night and beaches tend to bore me but there's not a whole lot on Phnom Penh once you do the usual tourist trail

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    if you end up going to Cambodia again the Snooky/Kampot/Kep trip is well worthwhile....different types of experiences over a relatively small distance so can be done in say a week to 10 days...I'd suggest 4-5 days in Snooky and a similar amount spread over Kampot + Kep
    I haven't looked into Kampot or Kep yet, I was thinking Bkk, Snooky and then PP, maybe about two weeks all in.
    nelsonone likes this.

I still quite like Asia, just need a break from Pattaya I think as I've been there 6 times since 2011. Price wise I can get a really nice 4*+ in Cambodia or Thailand for 50-60 euro a night, if I wasn't entirely fussy I could cut that in half but I have a liking for nice hotels. I don't think there's much cities on the tourist trail in America that could even come close to that. Not only that but food and drink is three to four times more expensive. Similar story in Europe.

Definitely looking for some p4p action and I really like the Cambo scene last time out, I liked the girls attitudes and I didn't get the impression that they're out to bleed you for every dollar. My drawback is that I do tend to get bored during the day as I do my drinking at night and beaches tend to bore me but there's not a whole lot on Phnom Penh once you do the usual tourist trail
    You'd be surprised for hotel prices in US if you use Hotwire or Priceline.
    I never pay more than 140-150usd and usually close to 115-120usd for very nice hotels in US.
    Obviously it depends on the time of year but 75% of the time that's the case

Indonesia for me this year. Looking to do Jakarta for a few days, then Bali for 5 days or so. Just never been.

Me and a friend did Vietnam this year. I wouldnt mind going back and exploring some other areas next year.

Cambodia is always fun for me, but I am trying to not keep going back there.

*EDIT* Within Thailand, I recently did a Nong Khai & Udon trip... gotta say, I genuinely liked Nong Khai. I was only there for an evening, but I could have easily done 2 or 3 days there and enjoyed it. Prices were just ridiculously low and most people seemed fairly nice. Lady drinks were 40 baht or 80 baht, depending on whether it had alcohol or not. Our beers were 80 baht. Barfine was 200 baht (I didnt take anyone- really, I didnt) and long time ran 1000-1500, depending on the gal, the chemistry, whatever. There' not a huge selection, honestly... but there were easily 30-40 gals working on their small bar street... I'd guess most could find someone they thought was OK... it's not a place to go for stunners or fluent english, but it was much more genuine and fun than somewhere like Pattaya or Patong. For me, I thought Udon was ok... Day & Night Plaza had slightly more girls working in it than on the bar street in Nong Khai... and they were cuter and more english was spoken... but prices were higher for everything... 150 baht lady drinks? Really? In friggin Isaan? That's Pattaya gogo prices, imo! The barfines were 300 and gals wanted 2000 for LT. I felt like the bars and the girls had formally colluded there to set standard pricing across the board. I was ok with the bf and LT prices... but 150 baht LD's are a bit tough to swallow in a place like Udon- esp when you were just paying half that in a town 45 minutes away. Anyway, my point was, I'd like to do Nong Khai again in the coming year... somehow.
    Last edited by WarProfiteer; 3rd December 2015 at 11:23.
    Bacon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    My life at the moment is a bit too tied down to enable a multi month trek.. But I would really like to get some of SA covered.

Quote Originally Posted by WarProfiteer View Post
    Indonesia for me this year. Looking to do Jakarta for a few days, then Bali for 5 days or so. Just never been.
    I was in Bali a few weeks ago. First time since 2009. The best thing about it was the Indo Rupiah compared to the Baht for a change. We still get the same 10,000 to the Aussie we used to get years ago. 100US will buy you over a million. You can party all day and all night on that.

I usually do about 3-4 trips a year, but I'm working on the house and want to try and change careers next year, so only two for me in 2016. April is all booked.

Next one will most likely be September/October. Or after April I might postpone the next Pattaya pilgrimage till November and do Nam or PI somewhere in the middle. Would love to visit Cambodia as well. When it comes to new places though, I'd much rather go with others for my first time. Let me know if anyone is keen on anything else aside from LoS.
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı