Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: small laptop, or notebook or tablet or whatever

small laptop, or notebook or tablet or whatever

My laptop is getting old and fair play to it, has done me well.

I'd like something smaller. The 2 essential things I want are connection to internet (only when in my house or hotel room) and the ability to play tv programs (hdmi connection to tv a must).

What are my options? I'd like about 200gb of storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirgezza View Post
    My laptop is getting old and fair play to it, has done me well.

I'd like something smaller. The 2 essential things I want are connection to internet (only when in my house or hotel room) and the ability to play tv programs (hdmi connection to tv a must).

What are my options? I'd like about 200gb of storage.
    I'm considering to buy this one

Asus Zenbook UX305 review | TrustedReviews

1000s of options..

Can also suggest simply adding a cheap chromecast allows PC to TV link over wifi simply and easily.. Cuts all the HDMI cabling.. Dead handy..

I am going to have a good close look at the surface 4 Pro line when I am next in the west.. A lot will depend on how good the keyboard cover is and what kind of docking abilities / ease of all round use comes from it.. I mean I like the surface book top tier stuff, but not going to post a gezzer recommendation that 'starts' at 1500 usd and rapidly goes up into the multi 1000 (I think the i7s are in excess of 3k)..

Theres simply 1000s of decent enough windows 10 lappys for a couple hundred quid, you really need to have some special itch to scratch to drop 3k these days !!

The MacBook Air is a fine lightweight laptop for using on the go. The 11" inch models start around $900, and will last for many years of virus free operation. Good Wifi plus mini DVI / Thunderbolt port for your video and external storage. Internal storage is a high speed Flash drive. Built-in SD card slot for offloading photos or expanding memory.
    I have one that is 4 or 5 years old and still going strong. It's what I take on the road for mobile photo editing and web surfing on hotel WiFi.

And they just released the latest version of MacBook Air too... so if you choose it you'll be getting the latest innovations as well. Weighs just over a kg.

If you don't mind OSX then +1 for a MacBook Air.

I'm looking to spend around 300 and want something that can be stored in the hotel room safe.

Proper keyboard is a requirement.

Been running Windows 10 flawlessly on a MacBook Pro for some time now using Boot Camp. Best of both worlds for me, but probably too much of what you need even with the Air.

I also have an Asus that does the job perfectly ok.

Is 4gb RAM ok or should I get one with 8gb? I hope to keep it for 4 years, so will it be slow in the future if I only have 4gb?

4GB of RAM is enough, just make sure that you don't get a really under powered CPU.

Is 4gb RAM ok or should I get one with 8gb? I hope to keep it for 4 years, so will it be slow in the future if I only have 4gb?
    Internet + Playing stuff on TV will be fine with 4GB. If you want a "fast" experience though, try and find one with a SSD/Flash drive - makes the world of difference with laptops.

What should I look for in the spec to identify the power of the cpu?

search for the CPU on this benchmark page: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/laptop.html don't get anything with a lower score than 2000, 3000+ and you should have no issues at all for browsing, youtube and watching movies.

This is something I really wouldn't worry about.

I'm a gamer and I'm still running a 5 yr old AMD CPU (stock clock speed).

Look at something that has a faster disk (SSD) as NeedHoliday said.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

So SSD is faster and also won't burn out and crash. Thanks.

I'm looking on ebuyer.

So SSD is faster and also won't burn out and crash. Thanks.

I'm looking on ebuyer.

I've just been talking with a Microsoft guy. He recommends a Surface Pro 3 (last year's model), as they are heavily discounted, yet very close in spec to the current model.

Quote Originally Posted by BroTiger View Post
    I've just been talking with a Microsoft guy. He recommends a Surface Pro 3 (last year's model), as they are heavily discounted, yet very close in spec to the current model.
    He mentioned real keyboard..

What hasnt really been covered is will this be just a travel companion or will it be a work / productivity machine.. Leading on from that do you need windows / win10 ??

If its your only machine.. I think most of us still need a desktop OS on at least one primary machine in the home.. Usually a win10 but Apple or Linux can usually work (or run visualized win).. I know at home I still need a desktop OS for some tasks..

But for a secondary / travel machine.. Thats just getting light use and for simple tasks (internet / media playback / etc) you really dont anymore.. I got my mum a chromebook a couple of years ago for very low money, and its been great.. Instant on, huge battery life, light, easy to use, no virus issues, auto updates, and for her its fine... You could say the same about mobile OS's now too.. iOS (Tho I personally dont play well with apple) or android is easily mature enough to do all internet tasks, email, media playback, light word processing and spreadsheet type work, etc etc and will come in a better travel format, with battery life etc that outlasts your average laptop experience.

I recently recommeded a tech phobic friend who barely uses a computer and wants a more communication device that can write decent email etc the pixel C.. For his needs (skype, hangouts, email, web and facebook) thats easy to carry and has a keyboard.. Its a solid option.

Pixel C hands-on and first look

Comes back to what do you really need ?? and what compromises are more appealing.. Having a tablet to watch something on over a more clunky laptop being worth the issues of a weaker keyboard element.. For me, where I have desktops in the home, and its just a companion travel device, that would probably be worth compromising.. If its to be your only computer, then no it wouldnt..

Secondary use. Probably only used when away on hols. Internet and media playback.

Current lappie has a 17inch screen I think.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast