Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Geespot

Thread: 4G In Thailand

4G In Thailand

After the most expensive auctions ever for 4G bandwidth what is the state of 4G in Thailand.

After getting a text about 4G trials in my area I went to the AIS shop yesterday but left baffled about what is available. Nothing new there, their customer service I have found a bit lacking of late, apathetic uninformed staff.

So is 4G available in Thailand yet and if so which carriers are offering the best service ?

4g is supposed to be on true and AIS.. I also got the AIS test invite and chiang mai is supposed to have 4g.. struggled through the thai turning on instructions but saw no difference to the connection indicators or speeds.

So the same as the 3G rollout then. A lot of talk and marketing blurb but no actual service 55555
    Attached Images Attached Images

If it's anything like 4G in UK then don't get too excited Unless you are sitting 9n top of a mast the signal and speed is laughable. The masts jist don't seem to have any range.

Wonder what Thailands will be like

The only experience I have had was in KL where it seemed really good.

DTAC 4G in Bangkok has worked well the last couple of times I've been there, but, as they lost out in the auction, who knows what will be.

We have 4G up here in Hua Hin, but I only have a 3G handset so cannot get it.

I hadn’t intended to even get 4G until tried and tested as if the 3G worked properly would be fine for what I need..….but my 3G handset seems to alternate between 2G and 3G constantly!

Complained to Samsung Thai and UK because of poor performance of the handset, they said you will normally alternate between 2G and 3G with a 3G handset and to get a minimum of 3G you need a 4G handset….so have decided to upgrade in the next couple of days but still debating which brand to go for…..and possibly whether to move to AIS!!

Will update on the thread when I do start using it soon though…

Picked up 4G in Patong today but it dropped off as soon as I left for Kamala so looks like a limited roll out to start on Phuket.

4G on AIS everywhere in Pattaya. Haven't done any speed test though

AIS 4G coverage on Samui is pretty good, been using the free trial for the last few weeks, can't say I noticed much difference in speed, just notice the 4G icon is on most of the time. Just tested at home, up on Chaweng Hill - 12.16Mbps down, 3.53 up

Are there any high data 4G packages available - such as suitable for laptop use? I am just curious as I won't know the full capability of the internet in my new apartment in Phuket til I move down next month, and at worst can use my DTAC plan but it goes pretty quickly when using as a hotspot for the laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Robaht View Post
    Are there any high data 4G packages available - such as suitable for laptop use? I am just curious as I won't know the full capability of the internet in my new apartment in Phuket til I move down next month, and at worst can use my DTAC plan but it goes pretty quickly when using as a hotspot for the laptop.
    Just phone them and ask or pop into one of their shops

I've got 12GB package and it doesn't last me a month but you can keep renewing as soon as the high speed runs out
    Robaht likes this.

Getting better now picking up 4G in Bang Tao.

First test 3G vs 4G....