Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: do you believe in god

do you believe in god

or maybe not a normal/formal form of religion,but what are your thoughts?

i regard myself as agnostic,but i would like to hear from others

No, but thanks for asking.
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

Depends on your definition of God....

Orthodox Hedonists -
    beats all the other religions

Not in the traditional sense of a benevolent patriarchal figure in the sky.....no.

Neither do I have any interest in modern religion except when it involves a wedding or funeral or such.I like the architecture.

But I wouldn't discount some kind of complex higher power that we can't comprehend as yet.Just looking around and observing all the nature surrounding us is kinda miraculous and unbelievable.

I also have a feeling that one should live with a high moral code (within reason) or it is gonna come back and bite you in the ass.
    billpay, Bacon and Waharoa like this.

add another "O"....I believe in "Good"....

100% atheist.
    and doing good or bad is not for a life after, it is just respecting yourself and living by correct moral and humanistic standards.

Nope.

I'm with TWD on this. No way a lot of what we see just happened by chance. I'm convinced there's design behind it. Also these moral standards and good vs. evil people have referenced....they came from somewhere. I'm not buying that it's a human invention as human nature is to be selfish and self-centered. Not sure what or who the power is, but I think it's there.
    Thin White Duke likes this.
    Get out there in the game, don't sit up in the bleachers. That is the philosophy of pimps and preachers.

do you believe in god

After I came back from Rome I did start to question my non religious stance. Then again I had those sort of feelings when I woke up in soi 6 this one time. No but serious on the Rome thing.

Don't leave it there, wtf happened in Rome?

do you believe in god

Just it being the centre of Catholicism. Was there on my own wandering around... Got me questioning things is all.

The story of me waking up in soi 6 at 8am is more interesting!
    Last edited by kris-one; 19th February 2016 at 22:41.

I am partial to the flying spaghetti monster, does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by tnlawyer View Post
    I'm with TWD on this. No way a lot of what we see just happened by chance. I'm convinced there's design behind it. Also these moral standards and good vs. evil people have referenced....they came from somewhere. I'm not buying that it's a human invention as human nature is to be selfish and self-centered. Not sure what or who the power is, but I think it's there.
    For me that's a very narrow view of the universe? When you think there are an infinite number of chances for everything... then of course it can happen by chance... otherwise it's like winning the lottery and thinking there must be a God... because... "what are the chances of me winning otherwise?" !!!

And it promotes the chances of survival to be good... you can forget your moral/ethical code... it is all about selfishness... and selfishness can involve increasing your chances of survival by doing things that encourage others to be nice back to you by cooperating... it may seem like morals/ethics, but it's just the complex selfish gene in action... and we've given it a nice name.

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    For me that's a very narrow view of the universe? When you think there are an infinite number of chances for everything... then of course it can happen by chance... otherwise it's like winning the lottery and thinking there must be a God... because... "what are the chances of me winning otherwise?" !!!

And it promotes the chances of survival to be good... you can forget your moral/ethical code... it is all about selfishness... and selfishness can involve increasing your chances of survival by doing things that encourage others to be nice back to you by cooperating... it may seem like morals/ethics, but it's just the complex selfish gene in action... and we've given it a nice name.
    I dunno...life and all of its intricacies, detail and complexity is a bit different than picking 6 numbers between 1 and 60. Seeing as how none of us knows for certain whether it was by chance or it was created, wouldn't it take as much faith to believe one versus the other?
    Get out there in the game, don't sit up in the bleachers. That is the philosophy of pimps and preachers.

I dunno...life and all of its intricacies, detail and complexity is a bit different than picking 6 numbers between 1 and 60. Seeing as how none of us knows for certain whether it was by chance or it was created, wouldn't it take as much faith to believe one versus the other?
    ...or something else completely that our minds can't even begin to comprehend... yet?
    Thin White Duke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    ...or something else completely that our minds can't even begin to comprehend... yet?
    Sure. Why not? So the 3 choices are 1. Complete random act 2. God (in some form) created it 3. Something beyond our comprehension. Each is as sane or crazy as the others.

Sure. Why not? So the 3 choices are 1. Complete random act 2. God (in some form) created it 3. Something beyond our comprehension. Each is as sane or crazy as the others.
    But it almost feels like two cows in a barn wondering... who created this barn? When was it created? Was it here by chance? Is there anything outside the barn?

ie. Even if there was a God that created the barn/universe... what created God? When was God created.... and does that lead us on to another badly understood variable in all this... "time"? Once we understand time properly... it might help us to get a better grip on everything else... we're still at caveman levels when it comes to understanding time... and in particular spacetime...
    Yes, Thin White Duke and tnlawyer like this.

do you believe in god

Speaking of space-time, one of Einstein's trickiest predictions has been observed. Gravity waves, or ripples in space-time, have been detected from the collision of two massive black holes about 1.3 billion light years away. Yay for good investigative science.

http://news.mit.edu/2016/ligo-first-...nal-waves-0211
    Last edited by BroTiger; 20th February 2016 at 07:35.
    Waharoa likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast