Like Tree17Likes
  • 2 Post By kris-one
  • 2 Post By stupscott
  • 1 Post By bobdickgus
  • 1 Post By Waharoa
  • 1 Post By BroTiger
  • 3 Post By Pablo
  • 7 Post By slampay

Thread: Have you ever fallen for a scam?

Have you ever fallen for a scam?

In Thailand or otherwise..

Caught a TV program the other day about scams and one of them was called the 'auction scam'. Thought oh shit! Probably about 15 years ago me and a few mates got done by that in an empty shop on Tottenham Court Road in the west end of London. I thought was bidding on a ps1 but ended up with an alarm clock and a ladies watch 555.

Also got done by some druggie/hustler/pimp once in Soho. I was smashed went looking for a brass. A guy standing outside a stairwell said he was the pimp for the girl upstairs. Asked for 60 quid and I should go up and knock on the door. You guessed it, paid the money, went up stairs and the lady was like what the fcuk do you want, fcuk off you just been scammed haha. Went down and the aids infested junkie nowhere to be seen lol. This was probably 10 year ago now. I put it down to being blotto and young and dumb... Man I felt a pillock after that!
    LivinLOS and quiksilva like this.

Witnessed the auction scam but never got drawn in. Was fun watching people bidding on a bag that allegedly contained X amount of goods. Of course, the items were junk once they were allowed outside to open the bags.

Went to watch the World Speedway Finals at Wembley back in the late 60's and as a teenager went looking for tarts in Soho, (Wardour St ala Paul Raymond and the other sleazy joints). One poked her head out of a first floor window asking if I wanted business. She stated her price (think it was 25) and I told her I didn't have that kind of money on me. She told me to fcuk off! 555
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

Not so much a scam in as much, but I've had things stolen from my room by a lady. A camera, 40,000 Colombian Peso (worth about 9), the irony was I couldn't find anywhere to change the Peso's in the Dominican Republic.

I'm not going to pretend I'm the kind of person who could never fall for a scam. I've been enticed by a few (mostly the deals that are too good to be true type) but I'm pretty cynical and tend err on the side of caution. I actually think I'm more vulnerable to them in a western country compared to a developing nation because I feel a greater (possibly false) sense of security.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

I once rented out a PA-system to a guy here in Stockholm. They was going to do a gig in a club for 600 people. Monday came, but no gears back. Equipment for 350 000 SEK (1,5 mil B) gone.
    Funny thing was that 1 1/2 year later, we got a call that the stuff has been found in a club in Athens...5555

Buying shares in oil exploration three or four years ago sure feels like a scam now 555

Other than that, never been scammed to date.
    LivinLOS and quiksilva like this.

Paid for an extended warranty a few times.
    andymon likes this.

Been inside a church a few times.... but not tempted...
    Dkdude likes this.

Took home a gal from Suzy Wongs for a "long time" date that only lasted until 6:00 am.
    quiksilva likes this.

I was going to say no but remembered I got scammed in Colombia
    And really no one to blame but ourselves
    We booked a boat to take us to a gorgeous secluded Island.
    The guy was all buddy buddy and then he took us to the next more populated beach and of course steered us to his mates restaurant
    And stupid us.....we didn't look or ask for prices because Colombia had been so cheap.

And bam.....got hit with a big bill.....(not huge, 70usd between 2 of us, but a total rip off)

What pissed me off most is the guy was still acting like he was our best friend after and I told him to fcuk off

But totally our fault

I took a tuk tuk my 1st time in Thailand and we stopped at a park and this obvious scammer tried to sell me rubies or something
    That......I don't know how anyone wouldn't know was a scam

I'm not positive yet, but I'm starting to get a bad feeling!

Three times now I have given my bank information and a processing fee to an outfit in Nigeria. They told me that I was to receive hundreds of thousands of dollars that had been stored or saved for me?

I haven't received anything to date!
    tnlawyer, dawsey and Dkdude like this.

I got married.
    mjwx, Waharoa, LivinLOS and 4 others like this.
    A woman won The Nobel Peace Prize? Must have been a pretty good sandwich.

I could make some pretty dumb choices when I first joined the military. Young and full of booze and invincible. When on a road trip to Bologna, after a few beers, I put some money on a gypsie version of the shell game. I didn't lose much in terms of actual dollars... maybe $120 bucks total after 3 bets. But dear lord did I feel stupid afterwards. Like, I even knew that the street gypsies were to be avoided, but for some reason I couldnt help but think I could track which of the 3 shells the white ball was under. Overconfidence is a killer when you're young.

It was pretty much the only time in my adult life that jumps out to me. Like MJWX, I wont pretend to be too smart or too good to ever be fooled again. It could happen. But I'm older now and more well traveled, so I tend to make slightly smarter choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    I'm not positive yet, but I'm starting to get a bad feeling!

Three times now I have given my bank information and a processing fee to an outfit in Nigeria. They told me that I was to receive hundreds of thousands of dollars that had been stored or saved for me?

I haven't received anything to date!
    Well, here we go again...just got this email?

Can this possibly be for real? (He says it's RISK FREE)

RAYMOND OKORO & ASSOCIATES
    SOLICITORS AND ADVOCATES
    Equity and Justice Office, plot 234 GRA Apapa
    Lagos, Nigeria.
    EMAIL: (barr.raymond0009@gmail.com)

My name is Barrister RAYMOND OKORO (Esq), I got your contact
    information from a reputable business/professional directory of your
    country which gives me assurance of your legibility as a person

while trying to get a good and capable business for both business and
    investment purposes. like I said, I am Barrister RAYMOND OKORO.

(Esq.) I was the Personal Attorney to late Mr. Morris Thompson an American who was a businessman in my country Nigeria but
    unfortunately he died in an air crash of Bellview Airlines Flight 261
    which crashed on October 22, 2005,including his wife and only daughter. Before the crash, Mr. Morris Thompson made a fixed
    deposit value of $50,000,000.00USD (FIFTY MILLION UNITED STATE
    DOLLARS) with the FIDELITY BANK OF NIGERIA Upon maturity several notice was sent to him, but there where no response. After a
    months or two found out that Mr. Morris Thompson and his family died
    in the plane crash that happened. Further investigation being

his personal attorney, proved that Mr. Morris Thompson's one and only
    next of kin was his daughter who died with him in the crash. I have
    made several contacts for any of his relative or family member but there is no response coming forth What borders me most is that
    according to the laws of my country at the expiration of 8 years the
    funds will revert to federal government treasury account

(FEDERAL REPUBLIC NIGERIA GOVERNMENT ACCOUNT) if nobody applies to
    claim the funds. Against this backdrop, I needed a foreigner to assist
    me in getting this fund out from the government account because due to bad leaders we have in Africa, this fund will not be utilized but will be diverted into personal account of famous and top politicians in the country rather than using it for proper investment that will promote growth and development in the country or rather for charity work. So please I will like you as a foreigner to stand as the next of kin to Mr. to my late client Mr. Morris Thompson so that you will be able to receive these funds for both of us.

WHAT IS TO BE DONE?

I want you to know that I have had everything planned out so that we
    shall come out successfully. As a barrister, I will prepare the
    necessary documents that will back you up as the next of kin to Mr. Morris Thompson and the most important thing needed is truth and truth
    for us to have it done.. PLEASE WHAT IS TO PROVIDE ME WITH YOUR FULL
    INFORMATION SUCH AS STATED BELOW, SO THAT I WILL PREPARE THE NEEDED LEGAL DOCUMENTS

[1] NAME:
    [2] ADDRESS:
    [3] AGE:
    [4] SEX:
    [5] TELEPHONE:
    [6] FAX:
    [7] OCCUPATION STATUS:

Also be informed that this Transaction will take us just 5-10 working
    days only to accomplish beginning from when I receive the above
    information and you have been made the next of kin, I will file an application to the bank on your behalf as soon as I secure the
    necessary approval and letter of probate in your favor for the
    movement of the funds to an account that will be provided by you. This
    process is 100% risk free as I have set out all the moralities to see that a legal and legitimate process is applied because I will prepare all the necessary legal documents.

Please note that utmost secrecy and confidentiality is required at all
    times during this transaction. Once the funds have been transferred
    into your nominated bank account we WILL SHARE IT IN THE RATIO of 50% for me, 45% for you and the balance 5% will be use to pay for any expenses incurred in getting the fund released to you. I will
    prefer that you reach me via this email address

(barr.raymond0009@gmail.com)

Your earliest response to this offer will be appreciated.

Best Regards
    Barrister Raymond Okoro
    Thanks and God Bless You

Well, here we go again...just got this email?

Can this possibly be for real? (He says it's RISK FREE)
    Just as a side note and I guess you already know, but the reason they keep up with the crazy claims and even saying they are from Nigeria is because it gives them a better statistical chance of getting money from anyone who replies. Since everyone with a partial brain would realize after a few emails back and forth that something was up, by weeding even those people out with these outrageous claims from the beginning, they can assume most responders don't have a clue in the world. Good passage on it in the book, Think Like a Freak.

Quote Originally Posted by Robaht View Post
    Just as a side note and I guess you already know, but the reason they keep up with the crazy claims and even saying they are from Nigeria is because it gives them a better statistical chance of getting money from anyone who replies. Since everyone with a partial brain would realize after a few emails back and forth that something was up, by weeding even those people out with these outrageous claims from the beginning, they can assume most responders don't have a clue in the world. Good passage on it in the book, Think Like a Freak.

OK...I won't respond then! 555

Where's the fun in that???

The guys at the local Jaguar dealer were kind's pissed off when I called and had them cancel my order for a new F-TYPE SVR!

http://www.jaguarusa.com/all-models/...-type-svr.html

I tried to explain that I was a victim of an email scam from Nigeria...then they hung up.