• 1 Post By K2
  • 1 Post By Joeguevara
  • 1 Post By K2
  • 1 Post By Thin White Duke
  • 1 Post By Stillearly
  • 5 Post By LivinLOS

Thread: Happy St Georges day..

Happy St Georges day..

I dont know why it seems so many other national days can have such an enthusiastic celebration.. Yet St Georges always has such a muted response..

Iz it cos I iz white ?? (in best Ali G voice).. Or colonial history.. Or just a PC thing ??

Why is it that English identity doesnt get that tolerance or appreciation ?? Personally I just had a proper full english, with extra HP and a laugh with a few lads.. But it does feel somehow like its a day that doesnt get its due.. Why is that..
    Joeguevara likes this.

Celebrating St George's and registering to vote? I thought you were an international man! But serious I reckon all above. But then again St Paddys only big deal here as they have marketed it well as a piss up. Couldn't tell you when David's or Andrews day is.

K2
    Pity the EU referendum wasn't today then we'd really have something to celebrate!

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George' and put the EU Dragon to the sword! (with grateful assistance from our Welsh, Scottish and N. Irish brothers).
    LivinLOS likes this.
    Its My Life .....!

We were talking about this tonight...it seems that the english people dont want to celebrate their national day...which is a shame. In our papers i have read countless stories that the georges cross flag has been banned from street parties, workplaces and many other promotions for fear of offending people. If that is true then its sad. Kris i dont agree that saint patricks day is popular because of how it is marketed. I think it is marketed more because it is popular...if that makes sense...plus everyone loves the Irish!
    LivinLOS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post

Cry 'God for Harry! England and Saint George'
    Is that a Flashman reference ??

The bard is way too highbrow for here..

K2
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    The bard is way too highbrow for here..
    Speaketh for thineself ye sanctimonious pirate - Methink'st thou art a general offence and every man should beat thee :P
    LivinLOS likes this.
    Its My Life .....!

I reckon it is deffo a colonial hangover or pc thing but really it shouldn't be.

History is history.

I actually really like the old Confederate USA flag but some feel offended by it.... but that is a while back.

Wouldn't be seen dead with the old SA flag tho....20 years is a bit short.Swastika's also not that popular.

Think it's more to do with the way the flag was used in the 70's 80's by groups like the National Front , it became associated with aggression and thugs .... Although I think since the Olympics and the support for the English sporting teams both the flag of St George and the Union Jack are shedding that image
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Great respect for it when we play you guys Rugby.
    dawsey likes this.

If I had to guess, I would say that St George's flag is avoided due to its association with the crusades. Can't be causing those Muslims further aggravation, now, can we?
    Too F'in bad, I like the history behind the flag, and think it should be flown with pride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BroTiger View Post
    If I had to guess, I would say that St George's flag is avoided due to its association with the crusades. Can't be causing those Muslims further aggravation, now, can we?
    Too F'in bad, I like the history behind the flag, and think it should be flown with pride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think you are guessing wrong
    Waharoa likes this.
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I dont know why it seems so many other national days can have such an enthusiastic celebration.. Yet St Georges always has such a muted response..

Iz it cos I iz white ?? (in best Ali G voice).. Or colonial history.. Or just a PC thing ??

Why is it that English identity doesnt get that tolerance or appreciation ?? Personally I just had a proper full english, with extra HP and a laugh with a few lads.. But it does feel somehow like its a day that doesnt get its due.. Why is that..
    I think it is that most people dont associate with it.

What does St Georges Day stand for... apart form being English... in which case that you are English, you pretty much do that every day.

A national day has to stand for something... and that something needs to be obvious. I've been from N4 to SE1 to SE 16 today, I still haven't seen any reason why this day is any different. ANZAC day is next Monday, Australians know what it stands for and we dont have any compunction against telling foreigners why we're having gatherings at dawn.

That being said, I wouldn't bother celebrating Australia Day if I'm still abroad on 26 January 2017. Heck, I wouldn't celebrate it in Oz if I weren't given a day off (its a public/bank holiday). ANZAC day is different though, long story but Aussies would more readily associate with ANZAC day than Australia Day. A bit of a shame but that's just my opinion but it seems Australia Day in Oz is just a bit of an arbitrary day off.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by BroTiger View Post
    If I had to guess, I would say that St George's flag is avoided due to its association with the crusades.
    You've got no idea what you're on about.

The St Georges Cross is displayed a lot, mostly to denote that the store in question is predominately English, the same as St Andrew's crosses outside Scottish stores or Indian flags in Indian restaurants. Theres even a lot of South African flags about but not Aussie or Kiwi flags as the rest of us antipodeans prefer to keep a low profile.

The English have no shame about displaying their flag, same with the Scots, it's just that the Union flag is the flag of the United Kingdom. Obviously that is more often displayed.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by mjwx View Post
    The St Georges Cross is displayed a lot

Attached Images Attached Images