Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By Robaht
  • 2 Post By Robaht

Thread: UK coins - take to a bank?

UK coins - take to a bank?

So I'm going to London this coming weekend and pretty excited about it too!! I used to live there back in '94-96 and haven't been back since 2007 so it should be fun.

From when I lived there I have been carting around a bag of coins...ha ha I just can never throw anything away...and finally counted them out since I can actually take them and get rid of them! Including the 10 x 1 pound coins in there, the bounty added up to 44 pounds (and total weight 3.8 kilos!). I sorted through them, bagged them into lots by denomination, etc. and don't fancy carrying around 3.8 kilos until I can spend it!

Here in Thailand I just make up bags of 200 baht and the Family Mart always gladly buys them off me. What about in London? Just go to any bank you think they will give me currency, or a shop or the Underground?

FYI, I kind of scanned, didn't find any old coins, a few 1969 (old format 10p and 50p coins)...oh well.

Cheers,
    Robaht

Banks are usually bit moody with this sort of thing. Some times limit amount of bags you can deposit per visit and make sure to bag it in the correct denominations.. i.e 20 in either 1 or 2 but not both etc. You can also take it to a coinstar machine at a big Sainsbury..but they take a commission.

Spend the pound coins, you won't believe how little 10 gets you now

Some banks want to charge you for changing coins into notes but they will all do it generally. If you have a friendly pub or hotel they will often be glad of the change, that's what I do with mine. Nobody wants copper, they are heavy and a pain in the ass. My admin lady looks after a church though so every now and then we pitch the pennies in their collecting tray. I'm never totally clear if we are changing or donating though and my admin lady scares me too much so I don't press the matter

There are machines in supermarkets now that will take change and either give you cash back ( for a fee ) or give you store credit. They are a decent option for mixed coins.

Bear in mind 50 pence piece has changed since 1997...

Quote Originally Posted by kris-one View Post
    Banks are usually bit moody with this sort of thing. Some times limit amount of bags you can deposit per visit and make sure to bag it in the correct denominations.. i.e 20 in either 1 or 2 but not both etc. You can also take it to a coinstar machine at a big Sainsbury..but they take a commission.
    Doh! I need to type quicker or say less

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    Bear in mind 50 pence piece has changed since 1997...
    New 50ps are cool, I have a dozen different designs pinned to my office wall now. Old ones would just be keeper's wouldn't they? Can't imagine being able to change them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@thaib View Post
    New 50ps are cool, I have a dozen different designs pinned to my office wall now. Old ones would just be keeper's wouldn't they? Can't imagine being able to change them now.

Yeah I had a load of old ones I had left over from my squash playing days... not sure where (or if) you can change those old ones now... big buggers they were... 55

I only had 2 x 50p coins, one a big chunky one, and the other much smaller (so I guess that is the new one). Then I had 1 x 10p chunky and that must have been replaced as well at some stage.

For the copper, I have 5.60 pounds, but at the weight of 2kg!! I am only gonna take that part if I have some leftover weight in my check-in bags lol.

Thanks for the Sainsbury tip, store credit to buy wine and snacks for hotel room is perfect.

Cheers!

There are machines in supermarkets now that will take change and either give you cash back ( for a fee ) or give you store credit. They are a decent option for mixed coins.
    They have these in the US as well, and you can select iTunes credit as an option! A few others too, but I forget...

I hate change/coins

When I 1st got to Canada I would throw all my "change" in a jar when I got home.

About 10months I realized that was a lot of 1 and 2 dollar coins!
    It was 440cad

K2
    If you have already bagged them into denominations, you'll have no problem getting notes at any major high street banks (Barclays/HSBC/Lloyds/Natwest) - retailers do this all the time.
    Its My Life .....!

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    If you have already bagged them into denominations, you'll have no problem getting notes at any major high street banks (Barclays/HSBC/Lloyds/Natwest) - retailers do this all the time.
    But do you need an account?
    I think you need an account in Canada to do this

K2
    Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    But do you need an account?
    Doubt it for that quantity but alternative would be a main Post Office counter if big 4 banks knock you back.
    Its My Life .....!

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    I hate change/coins

When I 1st got to Canada I would throw all my "change" in a jar when I got home.

About 10months I realized that was a lot of 1 and 2 dollar coins!
    It was 440cad
    I do the same but I usually keep the gold (A$1 and $2 coins). I do the same with 1 and 2 coins now. It makes it easy when you just want a drink.

I also dislike change, but I dislike prices going up even more so I'll put up with change.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Got to London and looked for a Sainsbury w a coin machine near Oxford Street but no joy, so determined to get rid of the stash I just ventured out, first stop Notting Hill Gate, saw a late shop grocer (but during day) and offloaded all the coins 31 pounds. Everyone happy! Went to William Hill and turned it into 120 and then drank it all at my stupidly expensive London Edition hotel. Well, it felt free.
    Waharoa, davis121, K2 and 2 others like this.

Ha ha, so this is how it went down. I went to my old neighborhood tube South Kensington and meandered toward Fulham road (for the truly interested I used to live at Elm Park Gardens) and stumbled past William Hill. Still here I thought, hard to believe this place didn't turn into a fashion shop, and went inside on a lark (trying to speak local y'all) and put 10 pounds on the race on the TV. They were talking about the favorite, okay, the place empty, no lines I said, hey why not, 2-1 favorite (who according to the commentary and blurb, "won last time out") whatever the horses name, the race turned out to be a steeplechase and my horse led start to finish with a few testy moments to win by 7 lengths! +20 quid as they say!

LOL so I went across the road to the King's Head or something like that and had a few beers while trying to chat up a semi-cute Portuguese chick who probably would have looked better in a bikini in Rio and thought hey, I could do that bet thing again! Walked back over, still nobody except one guy with a black trash bag not bothering anyone and lo and behold, nearly 17:30 on a Sunday but there was another race on the TV! This one a normal race and #7 Red Aggressor was my man (horse) at 12-1 and I locked in those odds and ran a win at 5 pounds and a 5 pound place...not really having a clue what I was doing, I really just wanted 10 pounds on "come in 1-2-or-3" and ha ha ha show me the money, Bill Hill, show me the money! But the cashier girl somehow convinced me, me (!), that I didn't know what I was doing so set me up with the 5 pounds and 5 pounds bet and wouldn't you know it, that beauty Red Aggressor came in 1st place, but I didn't really know I'd won until the end, I'd written #7 on the betting slip and not the name and had forgotten the name so it wasn't until they said Red Aggressor stunning the field at 20-1 (don't know what the announcer was smoking) that I knew I had hit pay dirt once again!! So I cleaned up another 72 pounds (got 82 back) and then went back to the London Edition where an Absolut Elyx vodka sour with real egg whites will set you back 20 pounds including tip and the hot girl next to you who has a date will give you a dirty look if you ask her if she wants to hear the story about Red Aggressor. So well, you see that is London.
    davis121 and Waharoa like this.

Someone is enjoying revisiting their old stomping ground!
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.