Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More bad news for the Dreamiliner (Heathrow: Dreamliner Plane Catches Fire)

More bad news for the Dreamiliner (Heathrow: Dreamliner Plane Catches Fire)

Boeing really are having big problems with the 787. Passenger confidence in this plane is going to fall very quickly IMO.

BBC News - Heathrow reopens after Boeing Dreamliner 787 fire
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

What ever about technical faults you're still more likely to die in a plane crash because of pilot error. Even then a bus driver is more likely to kill you than an airline pilot so no worries.

AFAIK the battery problem, supposedly fixed, all occurred during non-flight operations.

This doesn't appear battery-related as there are no operational-chargeable batteries in that location which is the crew rest cabin. There is an EPIRB located near there ... one or both fins are antenna.

Photo shows composite 'skin' charred black and possibly burnt through >

It is a serious set-back for the 787 despite eventual findings possibly exonerating the manufacturer. Many folk have serious doubts over the safety of plastic (composite) aeroplane as they will burn a lot easier than aluminium.
    Cheers, Rob.

Someone has to say it... Screamliner.

Quote Originally Posted by mjwx View Post
    Someone has to say it... Screamliner.
    Binliner
    Burnliner

Teething problems ... or perhaps someone left the coffee pot on to boil dry?
    Cheers, Rob.

We can definitely say it's the hottest plane flying.
    Boeing are planning to have a fire sale.

OK that's all I've got.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    This doesn't appear battery-related as there are no operational-chargeable batteries in that location which is the crew rest cabin.
    What rest area, not all 787 have them.
    It appears this is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDK View Post
    What rest area, not all 787 have them.
    It appears this is one of them.
    AFAIK all 787's have 2 crew rest areas, one FWD for FC, another aft for CC. They're pod-like structures above the galley.

Cheers, Rob.

Every 787 are configured as the picture?
    Including ET?

Every 787 are configured as the picture?
    Including ET?
    The most common 'customisations' or options, are engine type and seating configuration which may include galley/toilet changes. Crew compartments (2) are standard equipment.
    Given a/c leasing arrangements it would be uncommon for all but MAJOR carriers to change standard equipment.
    Cheers, Rob.

I am not in the know about this, but have read in many instances that ET 787 does not, obviously that can be incorrect.

Binliner
    Burnliner

Teething problems ... or perhaps someone left the coffee pot on to boil dry?

Staff BBQ night?

I am not in the know about this, but have read in many instances that ET 787 does not, obviously that can be incorrect.
    I'm not 100% certain as my info is from 787-9 specs. I would assume the ET 787 to be the same even though a shorter range a/c. ET's seating plan shows the crew cabin 'space' but it may simply be a generic seating plan.
    Cheers, Rob.

Whatever it was and wherever it was it seems as if battery issues have been ruled out and that leave everything else to speculation.
    Heck it has been reported widely that it was a coffee pot, then cigarette, then ....
    I'd give it a few days and a preliminary report will shed some light.

Fire appears to have been caused by the ELT (Emergency Locator Beacon) or EPIRB, as I call them. The Honeywell made ELT's are fitted with a longlife Lithium-Ion battery and used in many aircraft other than B787's. AFAIK there is a safer Lithium-Phosphate powered ELT which may be retro-fitted. Li-Manganese batteries can be unstable and suffer thermal runaway although why this would occur in a non-rechargeable situation is the BIG question.

Had the fire occurred on any other a/c make or model the result may have been the same or worse... I doubt we'll ever know although many are speculating as to different scenarios in an aluminium fuselage compared with composite.

Some believe the fire may NOT have burned thru the a/c skin during flight, partly due to external cooling AND cabin crews early extinguishing of the flames. I hope I'm not aboard when THAT theory gets tested! [Imagine cabin crew breaking thru ceiling panels whilst inhaling toxic 'plastics' fumes].
    Cheers, Rob.

Some believe the fire may NOT have burned thru the a/c skin during flight, partly due to external cooling AND cabin crews early extinguishing of the flames. I hope I'm not aboard when THAT theory gets tested! [Imagine cabin crew breaking thru ceiling panels whilst inhaling toxic 'plastics' fumes].
    cabin crew early extinguishing of the flames? From the AAIB report
    Fire fighters equipped with breathing apparatus entered the aircraft at the L2 door and encountered thick smoke. As they moved to the rear of the aircraft the smoke became denser so they opened further cabin doors to clear the smoke. At the rear of the passenger cabin they observed indications of fire above the ceiling panels. They attempted to tackle the fire with a handheld ‘Halon’ extinguisher but this was not effective, so they forcibly moved a ceiling panel and tackled the fire with water from hoses. This was effective and the fire was extinguished.
    and
    large transport aircraft do not typically carry the means of fire detection or suppression in the space above the cabin ceilings and had this event occurred in flight it could pose a significant safety concern and raise challenges for the cabin crew in tackling the resulting fire.
    The only good news is there are about 6000 of these units in use, and fires like this are exceedingly rare.

I flew on a 787 from Jeddah to Qatar this morning, very nice interior. Neat with the dimming windows thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightemup View Post
    I flew on a 787 from Jeddah to Qatar this morning, very nice interior. Neat with the dimming windows thing.
    Did you fly Qatar Airways?
    Hos was the legroom?

A few years back I took a special tour at Boeing, first group of non-clients on a 787. I was on 003 and it was 002 that caught on fire in Texas (?) a few weeks later. Sat in the cockpit (high tech AWESOME!!!) and climbed up in the crew cabin just behind the cockpit. Kind of a small double bed with low ceiling and a recliner chair at entrance you need to step over a bit. I thought it was pretty cool. The back of the aircraft was all for testing, so I didn't see the rear quarters. The shell of the plane is plastic, cool. In the pic above I see it is split into 2 single beds, the area below 8/9 is the entrance I think with recliner lounge chair, ladder to the beds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast