Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Portugal/Spain tropical beaches?

Portugal/Spain tropical beaches?

I am taking my nephew and his gf on a holiday as their Sr Trip

I want them to experience culture along with some nice beaches

Is there nice beaches in Spain and Portugal?

Thanks

yes of course...beautiful beaches in both countries on the Atlantic and Mediterranean coasts...they are not tropical so you need to go in summer...

My faves would be The Algarve area of Portugal or the Atlantic coast in Basque Country of Spain

https://www.google.co.th/imgres?imgu...0Y5FtP2W4oTjg=

Yeah, loads.

I've been to Albufeira in Portugal a few times and although it's where most tourists go the old town has the culture and the beaches and water are clean. I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Spain is pretty big so depends where, from personal experience the Baleric Islands are really nice (I've been to Ibiza and Menorca) Ibiza if you want to party or Menorca if you want relaxed and slow, but you can chill in Ibiza too. If you want culture head to Barcelona (I know it's got a beach but never been), Madrid or Bilbao.

The beaches have always been great anywhere I've been in both countries.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    yes of course...beautiful beaches in both countries on the Atlantic and Mediterranean coasts...they are not tropical so you need to go in summer...

My faves would be The Algarve area of Portugal or the Atlantic coast in Basque Country of Spain

https://www.google.co.th/imgres?imgu...0Y5FtP2W4oTjg=

I saw the Algarve area and we would be going in June

That's great info, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by stupscott View Post
    Yeah, loads.

I've been to Albufeira in Portugal a few times and although it's where most tourists go the old town has the culture and the beaches and water are clean. I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Spain is pretty big so depends where, from personal experience the Baleric Islands are really nice (I've been to Ibiza and Menorca) Ibiza if you want to party or Menorca if you want relaxed and slow, but you can chill in Ibiza too. If you want culture head to Barcelona (I know it's got a beach but never been), Madrid or Bilbao.

The beaches have always been great anywhere I've been in both countries.
    Yeah, we'd do Paris, Barcelona/Madrid and a beach somewhere

How is Ibiza? I always get a bad image of Euro trash?

Is this one of those threads where you say you are going somewhere and then pull out last minute? ...55

Only teasing.. just been a few lately. As Nels says so many to choose from down there... if you want culture I would go for the Basque region as less touristy... but also less reliable weather...

Ibiza actually has some culture on it in the old town... but I didn't think a lot to the beaches there and I think I tried them all... not that they were bad.. just not brilliant... I much prefer somewhere like Corfu for beaches... but that's Greece.... 55

Wow! Menorca looks amazing!!

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    Is this one of those threads where you say you are going somewhere and then pull out last minute? ...55

Only teasing.. just been a few lately. As Nels says so many to choose from down there... if you want culture I would go for the Basque region as less touristy... but also less reliable weather...

Ibiza actually has some culture on it in the old town... but I didn't think a lot to the beaches there and I think I tried them all... not that they were bad.. just not brilliant... I much prefer somewhere like Corfu for beaches... but that's Greece.... 55
    Haha...........I definitely do that, so willing to cop that 555

No, this will be a commitment to my nephew and his gf...........so no backing out and they are really excited.
    I was thinking Greece also but since I am paying for 2 flights.........Boston to France/Portugal/Spain was a lot cheaper

Although I don't know where they will ultimately decide.........I have given them Asia/Europe/Latin America to choose from and will give them ideas on each region

It's been a couple of years since I've been, yes there can be that element clubbing but it's certainly not the worst you'll see in Europe. It's easy to say away from it though, just stay on the North side of the island. Beautiful Island though.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    For beaches, Menorca over Ibiza... better for the kids... if going with some drinking buddies.. then Ibiza...

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    For beaches, Menorca over Ibiza... better for the kids... if going with some drinking buddies.. then Ibiza...
    Algarve might be better option
    Easier it seems to get to and it's cheaper to fly into Lisbon

My nephew and his gf are sort of nerdy.....even at 18yrs old, they won't be drinking much, if at all
    Uncle will take care of that end 555
    quiksilva likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    I've been twice and it's nice and relaxed, the beaches I found were quite small but there's still some culture to the place, especially if you can tie in your visit with their fiesta in the main town of Ciutadella, fireworks, street parties but I never got to see the horses racing through the streets I was to late!

Algarve is a safe bet. Just be wary of the dodgy police down there. Not the most helpful bunch either. But nice beaches... but less tranquil than the beaches inside the Med....

(get a baby-sitter)
    #MotoAsia - Ultimate motorcycle tours

For beaches Spain and Portugal. Portuguese beaches less hot than the Spanish Mediteranean.
    Nightlife OK in all Spanish beaches.
    For culture I would say Portugal or the Sanish Costa del Sol. For the Costa del Sol, which is very touristic in summer (also trash) fly to Malaga and visit Granade, Cordoba and Sevilla. Best to rent a car.

I just looked at prices..........may need to close this thread! 555
    Waharoa likes this.

Can't really go wrong with either beaches or culture in Spain or Portugal as far as I'm concerned. Spent months down there doing train-hopping, and planning to do more as I can use my folk's flat in southern Spain for months of the year.

If going in June I'd rather perhaps pick the northern parts. The beaches around Barcelona may not be spectacular, but the city and culture certainly is. Wouldn't worry too much about picking a touristy destination either.

Be aware that the Algarve waters are not very warm. It is the Atlantic after all.
    I'd choose Menorca for a family type vacation over Ibiza. Too many drunken Euro twats there.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

I am really trying for a huge contract that would see me relocate to spain.. Its wildly long shot but putting the effort in, only way to have a chance.

All well and good here in the UK but its summer, some heat and a pool in my life while doing biz would be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I am really trying for a huge contract that would see me relocate to spain.. Its wildly long shot but putting the effort in, only way to have a chance.

All well and good here in the UK but its summer, some heat and a pool in my life while doing biz would be even better.
    Couldn't agree more. That is the only part of the UK that I dislike. It's short rainy summers. But when it is hot here, I wouldn't be anywhere else.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast