Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By snowy
  • 1 Post By Stillearly

Thread: Lest we forget, The battle of The Somme.

Lest we forget, The battle of The Somme.

It's 100 years ago today.

I don't generally post things that are specific to my country or political etc, but this was a major part of the being of Australia, it made us and was one of the most incredible days in the history of war/s ( for it's massive losses on all sides).
    The British army lost 60000 on the first day, I believe in the end there was 1 million lost. (all countries)

It's hard to comprehend what went on in these times, I post this only to remember and hope those on this forum, that have no knowledge of these events, may expand your knowledge.

There are so many that are unknown that buried here, but there are ours.

https://www.awm.gov.au/military-event/E158/
    https://www.awm.gov.au/ww1/1916/essay/

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them."

Lest we forget.

RIP, those who made the ultimate sacrifice and thank you.
    dawsey likes this.

The first day was 01st July , there have been many commemorations and loads of interesting TV programmes following what happened 100 years ago. If you can see BBC iPlayer worth looking through them. I've recently been doing some family history research and managed to locate most of one of my GGrandfathers war records ( a huge amount were destroyed during bombing in WW2 ) he was at the Somme but luckily survived , although was gassed twice ...so I have found it all very interesting
    snowy likes this.