Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By MrDK
  • 3 Post By Waharoa
  • 1 Post By marc26
  • 1 Post By MrDK

Thread: Nine Lives ... Minus Two

Nine Lives ... Minus Two

Yesterday I was helping an associate of mine assessing the cost of bringing a rental home up to par after the previous renters had moved out.
    Doing so included testing about everything from sliding closet doors to every drawer to garage door openers to ... well you name it.
    In the master bedroom I saw three drawers half open between the two sinks.
    Checking the mechanics I closed the top drawer, then the middle and finally tried the lower.
    The lower, however, would not close and it was not like a hard "clunk" but rather a soft restriction that prevented it from closing.
    My first thought was a bent travel rail that needed a bit of force so I gave it a couple of hard whacks, but to no avail.
    I removed the drawer, got down on my knees to examine the rail.
    Just as I got my face to the opening here jumped out a long haired orange cat.
    IT was the "soft" restrictions that I slammed twice ... hard.
    It ran so fast to the downstairs that it bounces it to every wall and stair rail on the way before escaping to the outside.
    Later the landlord and I learned from the neighbor that the previous renters were asking around for their orange cat, but never found it ... and left.
    That was THREE weeks prior.
    The cat had been without food for that long and I am wondering if that counted for a life and if I stole two more lives by a couple of really hard whacking.

Man do I feel awful having done that to an animal, but heavens know that I had no idea that a feline would be the cause of a drawer problem in an empty house.
    I am not a believer, but I silently did ask for forgiveness before bedtime.
    Waharoa, TLandHim and Minder like this.

Good story Lars. It's surprising how long a cat can live without food. My sister had a cat that had been trapped in a room with only toilet bowl water to keep it alive. It survived over a month on just water until its weak cries were heard.
    It used all nine lives I think and is still happily alive today.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

I had a cat many years ago that found himself locked in a house for two weeks... got through a one way cat flap while they were on holiday... no access to water or food... but seemed fine until he was hit by a bus a few weeks later...
    tnlawyer, dawsey and obes like this.

I hate when animals get hurt because they can't really tell you.

It kills me when my dog is sick
    Waharoa likes this.

DK, .... Better go leave some food out for him now as he will be alone and hungry .... not sure if it was in the teaching of the Buddha or a movie I once saw ... but have heard something about karma and being responsible for a life once you save it .... regardless it would be a shame for the good luck that saved his life to mean nothing if you now let him starve ......

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    DK, .... Better go leave some food out for him now as he will be alone and hungry .... not sure if it was in the teaching of the Buddha or a movie I once saw ... but have heard something about karma and being responsible for a life once you save it .... regardless it would be a shame for the good luck that saved his life to mean nothing if you now let him starve ......
    I am not in the neighborhood, but I have contacted the lady next door and she agreed to leave out some food and water.
    She has three cats and two baby white ones are ... well two that the neighbor asked her to adopt when they moved out.
    If I become the contractor to fix up the house I will be there every day for a couple of weeks
    Minder likes this.