Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Ubuntu Edge, do you think it will be shipped?

Ubuntu Edge, do you think it will be shipped?

Ubuntu Edge | Indiegogo

If you sign up today, you get it for 600$

I have no idea if it will ship, but I know this..

The power that phones now have is easily enough to power minimal webcentric desktop experiences.. As someone who travels a bunch, and makes use of a bunch of different devices with each having shortcomings, the idea of a single device, be it a phone or tablet, that I can then 'plug in' to a monitor, or a flat panel TV, and turn into a full desktop would be a huge plus to any mobile platform.

I tried this idea with a USB stick ubuntu version (bit slow to boot, once USB3 is everywhere this may be a real option) but that is just porting your settings, you still need someones desktop. Its a plus for me as its secure, your not putting in passwords in someone elses possibly unsecure or trojan'ed machine.. But its still not quite there.. I was considering a micro keyboard and a set of cables for my iPad.. I looked into a few ways.. But in the end its one of those 'almost but not quite' solutions.

The ability to carry my desktop, or a mirror of my desktop setup, on my phone, files in the ubuntu cloud.. To drop my phone into a desk charger and have that boot to full screen.. Every place I go.. Thats a game changer. Its a need thats just crying out for a solution and one ubuntu could really show the established desktop OS its heels with.

Haven’t really followed these techs that much of late, but been eyeing the newest Samsung hybrid tablet (Ativ Q) running both full-fledged Windows 8 and Android Jelly Bean (not out yet though). Comes with a keyboard attached as well as HDMI.

Would be perfect for me in that I can run my normal Windows apps and developer tools directly on the tablet, in addition to my favorite Android apps optimized for mobiles / tablets. Not exactly what you requested, but would do for me, even though it appears to be a bit on the heavy side. With 4GB RAM and 3,200 x 1,800-pixel resolution it should be able to handle most of my immediate needs.

What I like is the implication of a 'portable desktop' meaning where I go, I have plug in desktop settings.. Simply add keyboard and (TV) screen and I have my own settings, files, and user space ready for me..

I tried it with portable linux, and it was handy.. I think it would be cool with USB3 also.. But the phone idea takes it to the next level. You always have your phone..

I see the future as a cloud centric world and not a device centric world. The difference from the above is, that you do not need to plug in your phone to a screen and to add a keyboard. You have different devices for different purposes.

Your apps, your data, everything is in the cloud. You have different apps/programs accessing your data, thus on your phone, you have an app accessing your documents, and on your desktop you have a full-fledged word processor accessing the same documents. The computing is taking place in the cloud, which means that your device can do with less power (hardware as well as electricity).

You can have different front ends for each device, so that when you log in from a phone, you have access to small apps made for the small screen as you do now, and when you log in from a tablet, you have apps that are more suited for a larger screen, and even more so when logging in from a desktop computer.

You will be able to log in from any device anywhere - there is a security problem with that, which needs to be fixed, but otherwise this is all possible with the technology we have today.

The big problem with this is the missing bling factor.

When I posted this about 8 hours ago they had raised $1.900.000, now they have raised $3.200.000

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    I see the future as a cloud centric world and not a device centric world. The difference from the above is, that you do not need to plug in your phone to a screen and to add a keyboard. You have different devices for different purposes.

Your apps, your data, everything is in the cloud. You have different apps/programs accessing your data, thus on your phone, you have an app accessing your documents, and on your desktop you have a full-fledged word processor accessing the same documents. The computing is taking place in the cloud, which means that your device can do with less power (hardware as well as electricity).

You can have different front ends for each device, so that when you log in from a phone, you have access to small apps made for the small screen as you do now, and when you log in from a tablet, you have apps that are more suited for a larger screen, and even more so when logging in from a desktop computer.

You will be able to log in from any device anywhere - there is a security problem with that, which needs to be fixed, but otherwise this is all possible with the technology we have today.

The chromebook model in a way..

The problem is, if you wish to shift the processing to online systems, your going to need much better fat pipe bandwidth than we have now or even for the near term.. Thin client computing can perhaps work in a fast equipped western setup, but its a lot less effective over a cellphone link, on a remote beach.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    The chromebook model in a way..
    Yes - or rather the old terminal model, it is not a new idea.

The problem is, if you wish to shift the processing to online systems, your going to need much better fat pipe bandwidth than we have now or even for the near term..
    But do you really need that much bandwidth? Downloading is certainly doable today with streaming of movies, games, and music. Uploading can be more of a problem, especially if you are shooting a high resolution video. However, it shouldn't be that many years before that will not be a problem in the western world and many places in the rest of the world as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post

Interesting stuff. Currently developing apps targeting mobile phones, tablets and desktops. But instead of coding natively, I’m wrapping HTML5 / CSS3 code into installable native apps. That way, you also gain access to the local file structure, local storage, camera, geo-location etc. etc.

The clients can then download relatively small apps specific for their OS / model, and access data asynchronously from remote servers. Alternatively working locally on the app and synching data at a later stage.

Definitely security concerns involved, but using uniquely encrypted licence keys (device uuids), session passes stored remotely when logging in etc. it should be acceptable for most operations. One can create quite attractive desktop-like apps with HTML5 / CSS3 animations, transitions etc. Provided there’s enough screen real-estate.

But yes, would agree that this kind of cloud centric development is where we are heading. Where you can basically do the same operations on any device, in addition to being able to personalize and configure the app desktop for specific needs and resolutions.

What I like is the implication of a 'portable desktop' meaning where I go, I have plug in desktop settings.. Simply add keyboard and (TV) screen and I have my own settings, files, and user space ready for me..

I tried it with portable linux, and it was handy.. I think it would be cool with USB3 also.. But the phone idea takes it to the next level. You always have your phone..
    See what you’re saying, but are we anywhere near that type of functionality yet? Would you need to have a separate virtual machine OS or something installed on your phone? Only asking as I've never seen anything similar.

In that sense I would think having a “desktop app” on a memory stick could be an acceptable solution? You would need access to an actual desktop, but wouldn’t have to physically log in, as you could e.g. generate a certificate from your own (secure) phone first.

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
    See what you’re saying, but are we anywhere near that type of functionality yet? Would you need to have a separate virtual machine OS or something installed on your phone? Only asking as I've never seen anything similar.

In that sense I would think having a “desktop app” on a memory stick could be an acceptable solution? You would need access to an actual desktop, but wouldn’t have to physically log in, as you could e.g. generate a certificate from your own (secure) phone first. [/FONT]
    But heres where the ubuntu phone in a dock thing does have a huge potential IMO.. You wont need the desktop, you have enough processing power.

I tried the USB key dealie.. And do sometimes travel with a bunch of portable apps on a memory stick (I even tried putting portable apps, onto my phones internal storage) and tried a portable linux build.. All of which were sort of interesting as a proof of concept, but just lacking in useability a little.. USB2 is just a bit slow for file transfers and data cache for it to really be great.

I am sure v 1.0 of this will also have hangups, but I really thing, with the rate of morse law pushing more and more processing power into tiny gadgets, we will very shortly be able to power a desktop, for normal needs, web browsing, banking, comms, skypes, and the like.. At a decent screen rez, very simply..

When I can walk along, drop my phone into a dock, and have my own personal desktop, all my files, my apps, all set up and simply there.. Wherever that dock is.. Thats appealing..

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
    Currently developing apps targeting mobile phones, tablets and desktops. But instead of coding natively, I’m wrapping HTML5 / CSS3 code into installable native apps.
    Firefox OS is interesting in that aspect. You will not need a wrapper.

The power that phones now have is easily enough to power minimal webcentric desktop experiences.. As someone who travels a bunch, and makes use of a bunch of different devices with each having shortcomings, the idea of a single device, be it a phone or tablet, that I can then 'plug in' to a monitor, or a flat panel TV, and turn into a full desktop would be a huge plus to any mobile platform.
    I see this as the future.

iMoron's keep flapping on about a "post PC time" or some such when they don't realise that the moment that phones/tablets can do everything that a PC can they have become the PC, not replaced it. The iMorons cant see this.

The hardware is there. Tegra2 released 2 years ago was more that sufficient, it's the software that lags behind. I have a 2 yr old Tegra2 powered Acer Iconia 500 tablet which has HDMI out and USB in. I can plug a keyboard and monitor into it. It's just the fact that Acer's software is a pile of crap that drags it down, even community ROMS haven't been that good.

Its a case of build it and they will come... It's built, we're just waiting.

The biggest disruption that mobile devices will cause in the next year or two wont be to the PC, but to gaming consoles. The "current gen" think there is a war between Xbox and Playstation, both sides cant see they've already lost and a low powered tablet based console will rise and eat their lunch like the Wii did last generation. Picture a device that you can plug into a TV, use bluetooth controllers with and play games on like a normal console, but is also in a 10" tablet format with it's own touchscreen to use on the go. The Ouya console has already started this, whilst the Ouya was not a smashing success (only a minor success) it's laid the groundwork.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by andmel View Post
    Ubuntu Edge | Indiegogo

If you sign up today, you get it for 600$
    Will it be shipped?
    Yes

Will it be a success?
    No

It's been several years since Ubuntu was the golden boy of desktop Linux. Constant infighting, bad decisions about renderers and window managers as well as shockingly bad UI decisions will end up sinking Ubuntu on the phone. This will probably end up like Ubuntu Tablet Edition did.

Interesting concept, a solid concept and dare I say it, "the future". But this project is doomed not because the concept is flawed but because Canonical is flawed. Bad decisions, infighting and the Mini-Napoleon's at Canonical are the problem.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

When I posted this about 8 hours ago they had raised $1.900.000, now they have raised $3.200.000
    In the last 24 hours they have raised $500.000, I don't think they will reach the goal of raising $32.000.000 with only 29 days left.

I think this picture fit perfectly in this thread

we have to go back.jpg
    geir and Waharoa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mjwx View Post
    I see this as the future.

iMoron's keep flapping on about a "post PC time" or some such when they don't realise that the moment that phones/tablets can do everything that a PC can they have become the PC, not replaced it. The iMorons cant see this.

The hardware is there. Tegra2 released 2 years ago was more that sufficient, it's the software that lags behind. I have a 2 yr old Tegra2 powered Acer Iconia 500 tablet which has HDMI out and USB in. I can plug a keyboard and monitor into it. It's just the fact that Acer's software is a pile of crap that drags it down, even community ROMS haven't been that good.

Its a case of build it and they will come... It's built, we're just waiting
    But right now I dont feel android is a desktop replacement.. Ubuntu could be..

The biggest disruption that mobile devices will cause in the next year or two wont be to the PC, but to gaming consoles. The "current gen" think there is a war between Xbox and Playstation, both sides cant see they've already lost and a low powered tablet based console will rise and eat their lunch like the Wii did last generation. Picture a device that you can plug into a TV, use bluetooth controllers with and play games on like a normal console, but is also in a 10" tablet format with it's own touchscreen to use on the go. The Ouya console has already started this, whilst the Ouya was not a smashing success (only a minor success) it's laid the groundwork.
    I have been watching Ouya as I would like a few XBMC android boxes.. As yet I havent found the perfect box Plus remote at the right price.

But right now I dont feel android is a desktop replacement.. Ubuntu could be..
    This is exactly what I mean. The problem is software.

I just doubt Canonical could come up with the goods. Someone else perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by ub2yoo View Post
    I think that forum used the same forum software as this forum, Sefton are we safe?

I think that forum used the same forum software as this forum, Sefton are we safe?
    Surely you're not re-using the password you use on this forum for other important logons?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast