Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: I don't think she loves you.....

I don't think she loves you.....

An email on Stickman:

Pretty decent email, then gets to the end where he says his wife calls him Frank instead of his real name Fred because she can't pronounce it.

Call me sensitive but I think your wife should know how to say your name!

Blows my mind the disrespect some guys put up with in Thailand

Pronunciation struggles.

In this week’s column you talked about Thais having difficulty with some words in English. You said ’roundabout’ was difficult for Thais. I would add that Thais have difficulty with words that have two hard consonants in a row, like ‘star’ or ‘spaghetti’. Thais will usually say “s-tar” or “sa-pa-ghetti”. But, you should also point out that there are many Thai words that we farang cannot pronounce. My wife will say a Thai word, and I will (try to) say that word. My pronunciation of the Thai word sounded to me just like what my wife said. My wife will say “no” and say the word again. And, again my attempt will not be right according to her. I could not hear any difference. My name is “Fred”. My wife and most Thais will call me “Frank” thinking they said my name correctly

small quibbles compared to some of the stuff I have seen in my time living here...women throwing huge tantrums and slashing tyres/damaging/stealing cars, cutting up clothes, locking guys out of the house (changing locks), beating them up. running off with other men for weeks/months at a time, running away with their kids, taking out hits on their husbands etc etc...only to see them back living together again just a short while later

It's hard to have any respect for guys who allow these situations to happen but then there is the other side of the story where guys are out drunk every day/wh0ring/beating up their wives on a regular basis/turfing them out of the house etc etc...the same sort of behaviour in reverse

small pronunciation differences seem to me to be kind of a mealy mouthed quibble.....obviously our ears are not tuned to thai tones so you can think you are saying the word back verbatim al you want but with the wrong tone you will be saying something completely different or making no sense at all...

having said all of that if your wife won't take the time to learn to say your name properly your relationship may well be in trouble from the start
    Last edited by nelsonone; 2nd January 2017 at 15:05.

K2
    How many farang can correctly pronounce their TG/wife real Thai name? - especially some of the monster Thai-Chinese names!?

The Thai Ministry of Interior could not even properly transliterate my name into Thai - it's not nothing to do with respect, but the nature of language - I still find it kinda cute/funny (and so does she). Falang tink too mutt!!
    Minder likes this.
    Its My Life .....!

Mine calls me man and I call her woman.
    Works for me, although a farang lady heard me call out "Woman, come over here" and I got quite the dirties.

We can both pronounce each others name well enough, she just thinks she's in trouble if I use it...
    MrDK and Minder like this.

How often does your wife/gf call you by your Christian name, and you hers anyway?
    (That's enough from you Cholmondelay Featherstonehaugh...555)
    Waharoa and WarProfiteer like this.

Mine calls me darling. Well that is if she drank enough and wants something.
    Thin White Duke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Mine calls me darling. Well that is if she drank enough and wants something.
    If I get a drawn out Pauliiiee, that is when she wants something.
    Other than that.......She does not call me Paulie like most people do, she calls me Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    How often does your wife/gf call you by your Christian name, and you hers anyway?
    (That's enough from you Cholmondelay Featherstonehaugh...555)
    What do you mean? I will call my wife Rosie a lot, instead of Rosjana but I definitely know how to pronounce her name

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    How many farang can correctly pronounce their TG/wife real Thai name? - especially some of the monster Thai-Chinese names!?

The Thai Ministry of Interior could not even properly transliterate my name into Thai - it's not nothing to do with respect, but the nature of language - I still find it kinda cute/funny (and so does she). Falang tink too mutt!!
    You are saying your wife not taking the time to actually know how to pronounce your name has nothing to do with respect?
    Of course it does.

But some guys will put up with any crap from TG's
    Last edited by marc26; 2nd January 2017 at 22:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Mine calls me man and I call her woman.
    Works for me, although a farang lady heard me call out "Woman, come over here" and I got quite the dirties.

We can both pronounce each others name well enough, she just thinks she's in trouble if I use it...
    If I get a straight message on LINE to start off an exchange I know I either did something wrong or she has some sort of issue that will be a pain in the ass for me!

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    You are saying your wife not taking the time to actually know how to pronounce your name has nothing to do with respect?
    Of course it does.
    It is not always easy to pronounce names:

Would it not be the 'Fr' part of the name most Thais' would struggle to pronounce?

He thinks they're calling him Frank, I think he's mishearing a W.

Quote Originally Posted by stupscott View Post
    Would it not be the 'Fr' part of the name most Thais' would struggle to pronounce?

He thinks they're calling him Frank, I think he's mishearing a W.
    I mean how hard is it to learn to pronounce your spouse's name correctly?

Easy for me to say when my name is Paul and my wife probably had the easiest Thai name I've ever encountered, Rosjana 555

Taky calls me hun-nee most of the time. Much like Paulie, if t gets drawn out while she says it, I know she wants something. The tone is the key.

If she uses my real name, it's usually because someone else is present and she's trying to let me know that by the way she is calling me. I gather when I am not present, I am called by my proper name by her and her co-workers... it can be a bit odd to pick her up from work and half the dentists bow to me as they pass and say "sawasdee Kuhn Keveen". I dont recognize most of them as I usually see them in masks and dentist gear, so all I see is their eyes typically. I just bow back politely. Unless it's the big ghey one, Petey... I know that one quite well as he always tries to flirt and jokingly asks if I changed my mind about only liking women.

I usually call Taky by her proper birth name when I am speaking to her directly... mostly to be a butthole.

When speaking of her, she is "my shewok".
    Changone likes this.

My cat is similar. .. change in purr tone and always with those big eyes.

So easy to read but so jealous.
    Waharoa likes this.

If I get a drawn out Pauliiiee, that is when she wants something.
    Other than that.......She does not call me Paulie like most people do, she calls me Paul
    Pauliiiee ... I want monnneeeyyyy

Quote Originally Posted by MrDK View Post
    Pauliiiee ... I want monnneeeyyyy
    No, you need a smack in the head and start to grow up.....
    Dupree likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    No, you need a smack in the head and start to grow up.....
    Isn't that a right wing response? I thought you had become a lefty snowflake.
    TLandHim, MrDK and Homer like this.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Last edited by dawsey; 5th January 2017 at 02:38.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

Of course it does.

But some guys will put up with any crap from TG's
    This ditto for whatever country, guys put up with crap from girls and vice versa for numerous reasons, fear of being alone being a big one, breaking up the family mainly when there's kids involved and having to tell their friends and other family that their relationship is over. One thing about TG's is that there always seems to be another one so maybe less of an incentive to take crap from them. Maybe we are holding more cards which probably isn't the case in a lot of standard western relationships?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast