Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Your worst flight?

Quote Originally Posted by MrDK View Post
    Then I would choose another airline.
    Planning a 10+ hour sleep with no recline would be a "no business from me"
    Any airlines can configure their seats anyway they want, but to what ever degree they allow recline that is the degree for which the sold me the seat.
    I have a hunch that the business executives and their marketing department have a finger on the pulse and understand how to configure a seat to get the most amount of revenue and in most cases that seems to include a reclining seat.
    Maybe they are all wrong and need some outside help.
    I was going to say over a certain amount of time.

You can't expect people to take crazy long flights and not recline.
    But obviously that would be hard to implement.

And do you really think airlines put even one thought towards their economy customer's comfort?
    Not even one iota

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    I was going to say over a certain amount of time.

You can't expect people to take crazy long flights and not recline.
    But obviously that would be hard to implement.

And do you really think airlines put even one thought towards their economy customer's comfort?
    Not even one iota
    Only to the extent it affects their revenue per seat mile. If you make it too uncomfortable, you'll soon have no asses filling your seats, they'll all be filling your competitors product. Airlines have huge teams of people trying to ride the razors edge of profitability vs. product and service costs, all day every day, route by route. If you're clearly the cheapest, you'll fill most of your seats, otherwise you'll have to offer some advantage in comfort or service that keeps your regular flyers coming back.

To that end, when flying transpac, I have airlines that I will fly, and airlines that I'll never fly again all ranked by the desirability of their product/experience within their tier...

Will Fly: Singapore, Korean Air, Cathay Pacific, Qantas , Asiana, ANA, JAL, China Air...

Wont Fly: Air China, China Southern, China Eastern, Aeroflot... even if they're the cheapest.

Oh, forgot to mention, The American based carriers with their shitty service, and battle-axe flight attendants can all suck my ass! I'll NEVER fly your product internationally! I'll only fly your airlines if I HAVE to travel domestic in the US... at which point, Southwest gets the nod... best of a bad lot.
    Last edited by Easycpl; 6th February 2017 at 21:30.
    "They got the metric system over there… they wouldn't know what the fcuk a quarter-pounder is…"

Quote Originally Posted by Easycpl View Post
    Only to the extent it affects their revenue per seat mile. If you make it too uncomfortable, you'll soon have no asses filling your seats, they'll all be filling your competitors product. Airlines have huge teams of people trying to ride the razors edge of profitability vs. product and service costs, all day every day, route by route. If you're clearly the cheapest, you'll fill most of your seats, otherwise you'll have to offer some advantage in comfort or service that keeps your regular flyers coming back.

To that end, when flying transpac, I have airlines that I will fly, and airlines that I'll never fly again all ranked by the desirability of their product/experience within their tier...

Will Fly: Singapore, Korean Air, Cathay Pacific, Qantas , Asiana, ANA, JAL, China Air...

Wont Fly: Air China, China Southern, China Eastern, Aeroflot... even if they're the cheapest.

Oh, forgot to mention, The American based carriers with their shitty service, and battle-axe flight attendants can all suck my ass! I'll NEVER fly your product internationally! I'll only fly your airlines if I HAVE to travel domestic in the US... at which point, Southwest gets the nod... best of a bad lot.
    I agree with that although I do think the attendants on flights are getting much better in US

I had a great talk with a flight attendant that was sitting next to me on flight back from PR
    He was saying how they have to fight with the old bags who don't want them to overdue it on service

I like Southwest but I think JetBlue is the best flight attendants in US, hands down
    I don't think I've ever had a bad experience with a JetBlue attendant......or any issue, for that matter

Not even one iota
    Yes ... it is called repeat customers.
    In marketing it is often said that it ten times harder to find a new customer than to keep an existing one.
    So how do you keep a customer ... you service needs and expectations the best you can.

I had a great talk with a flight attendant that was sitting next to me on flight back from PR
    He was saying how they have to fight with the old bags who don't want them to overdue it on service
    I would not believe that for a millisecond
    Most likely he was making excuses for poor (lazy) service.
    Probably a union worker.

I would not believe that for a millisecond
    Most likely he was making excuses for poor (lazy) service.
    Probably a union worker.
    Why wouldn't you believe it? I fly a lot and you seemed to have flown a lot more than even I do
    It is plain as day that the younger attendants have a much better attitude than a lot of the older attendants on US domestic flights
    Of course, that doesn't always hold true......I've had some fantastic older attendants but in general, I see a noticeable difference

In America getting on a plane is a bit like a European getting on a bus or a train so maybe that's why service is ordinary. Anyway with all the budget airlines in Europe there's plenty of battleaxe flight attendants to go around. I got on a Ryanair flight once when the air traffic control in Dublin airport wasn't working, someone asked an Eastern European flight attendant if we would be landing in Dublin as the rumour was we would be diverted to Cork and face a 3 hour coach journey to Dublin. Her reply - I don't know!

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    In America getting on a plane is a bit like a European getting on a bus or a train so maybe that's why service is ordinary. Anyway with all the budget airlines in Europe there's plenty of battleaxe flight attendants to go around. I got on a Ryanair flight once when the air traffic control in Dublin airport wasn't working, someone asked an Eastern European flight attendant if we would be landing in Dublin as the rumour was we would be diverted to Cork and face a 3 hour coach journey to Dublin. Her reply - I don't know!
    The thing is, the low cost carriers in US have much better service than the traditional airlines because they aren't strangled by the unions

Immagine this. Yorkshire airways.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYrmltMDNas

The thing is, the low cost carriers in US have much better service than the traditional airlines because they aren't strangled by the unions
    I can't stand unions. Southwest is actually union though, it's just that they seem to have a much more collaborative relationship with management than most unions. There isn't that us vs. them dynamic that you see with so many other union employees.
    Get out there in the game, don't sit up in the bleachers. That is the philosophy of pimps and preachers.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Immagine this. Yorkshire airways.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYrmltMDNas
    A really old TV sketch, but makes me laugh every time I see it.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

Why wouldn't you believe it? I fly a lot and you seemed to have flown a lot more than even I do
    It is plain as day that the younger attendants have a much better attitude than a lot of the older attendants on US domestic flights
    Of course, that doesn't always hold true......I've had some fantastic older attendants but in general, I see a noticeable difference
    So by your own accounts it is not "plain as day", then again may days in Vancouver are quite cloudy.
    What I do not believe (for a millisecond) is a company telling employees to hold back on service.
    That is a crock of kaka.
    ANY company, whether it be burgers, financial brokerage, retail, a bar or an airline wants their employees to cater to their customers the best way possible.
    The flight attendant you talked to was full of kaka and it is amazing you fell for it.

So by your own accounts it is not "plain as day", then again may days in Vancouver are quite cloudy.
    What I do not believe (for a millisecond) is a company telling employees to hold back on service.
    That is a crock of kaka.
    ANY company, whether it be burgers, financial brokerage, retail, a bar or an airline wants their employees to cater to their customers the best way possible.
    The flight attendant you talked to was full of kaka and it is amazing you fell for it.
    You usually pretty smart but been dumb as shit in these responses lately...

Where did I say the company told employees?
    I said the other older attendants would tell new flight attendants to not to do much.

And yeah......That's never happened in Union type places
    Never....

I retract.
    Reading again, you did not say that.
    I misread.
    If I had offered you a dollar for that discovery/challenge I would have found a way to pay you

I retract.
    Reading again, you did not say that.
    I misread.
    If I had offered you a dollar for that discovery/challenge I would have found a way to pay you
    No worries.....We can call it even

I will say, I do think cabin service in US is getting better and more friendly.
    You don't have as many old grumpy attendants, it seems.

I think Air Canada and United are actually pretty good, for the most part

And the fact they handle any complaints so efficiently now than by phone really makes a huge difference.
    Not even complaints, I misplaced my travel itinerary and tweeted America asking to retrieve it. A few questions and about 10mins later I had my confirmation# and itinerary

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    In America getting on a plane is a bit like a European getting on a bus or a train so maybe that's why service is ordinary.
    I wouldn't say that. Getting on a train in Europe is a painless affair... And Southwest trains provides far better service than most US airlines. Trains are useful in Europe because we've got a lot more small towns over a much larger area. That being said, air travel isn't bad. I'm serviced by 3 major airports (SOU, LGW and LHR) within 1.5 hours of my home. In fact it's harder to get to St Pancras train station than it is to get to Heathrow or Gatwick.

Air travel in the US is atrocious, but the fastest way to get between cities unless you like highways. A 50 min flight from SFO to LAX is six hours by the Interstate (I-10 from memory) doing a good 70-80 MPH. US airports suffer from the extreme and pointless security checks. Going through a busy European airport like Heathrow or Schipol is much faster as they only do the checks that are useful (and somehow the Dutch are the only people who can produce cheery immigration staff).

BTW, Southwest trains in England has the same livery as Southwest Airlines in the US. Dont know who copied who.
    britishtrain_zps90e9c43c.jpgsouthwestlogo_zps0c6c2336.jpg
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

I will say, I do think cabin service in US is getting better and more friendly.
    You don't have as many old grumpy attendants, it seems.
    The lifers are slowly retiring.

I've only ever flown Southwest (and Alaska once) in the US. The service is friendly, but quite informal which is something I like. I've found they like to have a bit of a chinwag when there's time (like when you're sequence number A2... seems to take a while for the B's to start boarding).

Although I cant fault the service you get on a lot of Asian airlines, Singapore in particular I tend to find the formalness of it to be a bit uncomfortable. I dont like being waited on.

Service in Australia is very reciprocal. If you want good service, be a good customer. Conversely if you're rude, they'll be rude right back.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by mjwx View Post
    I wouldn't say that. Getting on a train in Europe is a painless affair... And Southwest trains provides far better service than most US airlines. Trains are useful in Europe because we've got a lot more small towns over a much larger area. That being said, air travel isn't bad. I'm serviced by 3 major airports (SOU, LGW and LHR) within 1.5 hours of my home. In fact it's harder to get to St Pancras train station than it is to get to Heathrow or Gatwick.

]
    I've never lived more than 30mins from an airport

Worst flight? Whichever one I'm on right now 555, Actually in the States right now, returning to Phuket Monday on Singapore. Never had a bad flight on Singapore.
    "They got the metric system over there… they wouldn't know what the fcuk a quarter-pounder is…"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123