Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By soupdragon

Thread: Oil spill hits beach at Koh Samet island

Oil spill hits beach at Koh Samet island

Oil spill hits beach at Koh Samet island (Updated) | Bangkok Post: learning

That isn't something they can just wash away,will go years

BANGKOK (AP) — An oil spill has reached a popular tourist island in Thailand’s eastern sea despite continuous attempts to clean it up over the weekend.
    About 50 tons of crude oil spilled into the sea off Rayong province Saturday morning after a leak occurred in a pipeline operated by PTT Global Chemical Plc (PTTGC).
    Rayong’s deputy provincial governor Supeepat Chongpanish says Monday streaks of crude oil about 300 meters (984 feet) wide have tainted the shore of Prao Bay on Samed Island (aka Ko Samet).
    He says authorities have closed down the bay as 300 workers are working to get rid of the oil from the white beach and from the waters.
    Rayong is 140 kilometers (90 miles) southeast of BangkokxBQUNBK7CUAAqzW9.jpg
    Last edited by Petter; 29th July 2013 at 23:16.
    Nobody is a social drinker. Everybody drinks to get drunk. I mean, nobody drinks 10 pints of coke in a night

PTT have said it will be business as normal by Monday. They also said that they had dealt with the spill and no oil would reach the beaches

Why do they spout such nonsense when their lies will obviously be exposed (Rhetorical).

Also 50,000 litres of oil covering almost 13 square kilometres as shown in a satellite photo is impossible, it would have to be many multiples of that amount.

This sort of 'accident' is easily preventable. Force the CEO of the company responsible to lick the beach clean, see how quickly the safety measures to profit ratio reverses itself.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by soupdragon; 30th July 2013 at 07:31.

Its a bloody terrible mess alright and won't be cleaned up quickly - that's for sure !!

It is feared that the slick could reach Pattaya Beach. Steps are being taken to protect the oil from such a toxic environment.
    slampay and Pablo like this.

The latest satellite picture of the area around Koh Samet shows the oil spill already heading towards the beaches on the mainland of Rayong Province.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Samet was brutally unlucky to get a direct hit by that moving spill..

^ absolutely....but that's it now for them...goodbye tourist industry

Just terrible...

Quote Originally Posted by ub2yoo View Post
    I've been to Samet first time in 2006 only ... it was a beautiful serene island. hardly a tarmacked road, it as a lot of fun and advantageous to get around
    between the various beaches. Snorkeling was nice as well ... nemo's etc.

Been back last year and was shocked about the development. The roads, the masses amount of cars everywhere, how many houses, guesthouses etc.
    Went on a snorkeling trip ... all dead corals, everything grey, not a color to be seen.

Well, it was still fun on the beach, chilling with a cocktail and watching the fire shows ... but man, has that island changed in only 7 years time.

And now with this oil spill ... oh dear ... good luck Samet, I feel for you. Yes, I might sound dramatic, because it is dramatic, poor nature ... ;-(
    This is sort of what was being discussed on another thread, that Thais really have a rapacious development cycle to any tourism location. Dodger seems to think that this is simply the world over but really its the pace at which Thailand does this which I dont see replicated. Its sort of as though they dont see what it is that the initial visitors come to enjoy, and then go gung ho to change it as soon as theres a dollar to be made. By then visitors do still come, its 'on the map' but the window of opportunity for somewhere like Samet, Lippe, etc from initial beach bar and low key rooms to ruined seems to be down to 5 or so years.

Sef, Nels your help is needed.......

Concerned residents have pitched in to clear up the oil spill at Samet Island and are now campaigning for donations of hair to soak up the spill.
    Appeal for hair to soak up spill - The Nation

50 tons is more than 50 cubic meters or 50000 liters as the density of oil is less than 1.
    This is a serious amount of crude which will partly float at the surface/come ashore and partly sink.

yea you can use dispersant chemicals to break it down but thats to late now,had to be done on a early stage before it hit land (by air)

It also seems to me that the oil spil equipment they use is quite limited
    Nobody is a social drinker. Everybody drinks to get drunk. I mean, nobody drinks 10 pints of coke in a night

This is sort of what was being discussed on another thread, that Thais really have a rapacious development cycle to any tourism location. Dodger seems to think that this is simply the world over but really its the pace at which Thailand does this which I dont see replicated. Its sort of as though they dont see what it is that the initial visitors come to enjoy, and then go gung ho to change it as soon as theres a dollar to be made. By then visitors do still come, its 'on the map' but the window of opportunity for somewhere like Samet, Lippe, etc from initial beach bar and low key rooms to ruined seems to be down to 5 or so years.
    yes its strike me more than more time the understanding why mass tourist go to Thailand in the first place,and the understanding of the value of clean environment and controlled development in certain areas

Its al about greed and lack of central control ,combined with no national strategy whatever when it comes to environment,and how to develop future holiday destinations with out killing yourself in the process

Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    yea you can use dispersant chemicals to break it down but thats to late now,had to be done on a early stage before it hit land (by air)

It also seems to me that the oil spil equipment they use is quite limited
    From my experience dispersants are not advisable. They are more toxic than the polutant. In Belgium on most places, ports, inland waterways and so they are prohibited. Even at sea some are not allowed. Best is skimmer and for small area eventualy absorbents, but expensive and where to get in Thailand.

We need to start hanging people for these spills. This is fucked!
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

yes but dispersant is only used offshore far from coast line,it is of course toxic,but will help you to break down the oil so its mixes itself up with the water

Normally it comes in 1 cub tanks,and you rig it on a small plane and have it on stby,thats quite normal,the reason for using and set up a air emergency is of course the time limits you have to break it down at once it happens far from beaches and coast
    But this is only your first response

Then you go to skimmers and lenses that have to be in place in short time offshore,but Skimmers want help you if the sea are high or rough And you will need a equipped vessel on stby also there,if you don't have it ready you will loose critical time,and the oil will be on the coast line before you have managed and set that up,they probably didn't have any emergency set up at all for this kind of disaster ?

When it happens you have to be ready,if not you see what happens
    Last edited by Petter; 30th July 2013 at 21:19.