Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Navy Destroyer Collides With Cargo Ship

Quote Originally Posted by MrDK View Post
    Amazing that you will hang that hat on a president you do not like and pretending it could not have happened during the tenure of a left-winger that you adore.
    Get real!!
    Amazing that you completely miss the sarcasm and take everything word by word.
    Your lack of social competence is unreal. You can't have many friends....

Looks like the Destroyer Captain ignored warnings of an imminent impact.
    Was he playing a kind of chicken game with the other Captain? Like one of those "I have the right of way" things?
    Sure looks like it, and seasoned sea captains will no doubt have their opinions, and time will tell.
    Too bad for the poor dead sailors and their families though.

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Looks like the Destroyer Captain ignored warnings of an imminent impact.
    Was he playing a kind of chicken game with the other Captain? Like one of those "I have the right of way" things?
    Sure looks like it, and seasoned sea captains will no doubt have their opinions, and time will tell.
    Too bad for the poor dead sailors and their families though.
    Check the last paragraph of my post #3.
    As professional that also came to my mind, due to the dammage on the starboardside.
    Made me think of that joke about the warship demanding a radarspot on collision course to change course. The answer was:"this is Eddystone lighthouse, you better change course." I guess it still can be found on Utube.

^I know that one...From my old navigation courses in Sea cadet days....555

So does that mean the other captain didn't know he was dicing with death - having a Destroyer bearing down on him, couldn't get out of the way, or thought fuck you - I aint moving ?

It is the "Rules of the Road". The other ship had to maintain course and speed.
    It could only take action if the manoeuver of the Destroyer alone couldn't avoid a collision. Only then could he manoeuver.
    Obviously, something went wrong. That is why I think both will be found responsible... court will decide what percentage each.
    I guess promotion for the Destroyer staff is a long way out (if not gone at all).
    Last edited by Captain; 28th June 2017 at 17:18.
    obes likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12