Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Solar eclipse over North America 2017

I was watching from San Francisco Bay area and it was to be a 80% eclipse.
    I am not disputing that it was not as I used a wine bottle to get a view, but as far as darkness it was nothing like that.
    For a period of five minutes it became darker, like a thunderstorm rolling in.

Solar eclipse over North America 2017

We got 92% coverage here, and it's surprising how much light is still available at that point. The sun was a thin crescent and it looked like the beginning of sunset with a slight orange tint to the light. It felt more like a cool autumn morning, with low light and lower temperature as well.
    I experienced a total eclipse in '79, and there is a big difference between that and a partial eclipse. With a total eclipse, it feels as if the sun just got turned off. Quite spooky, actually.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BroTiger View Post
    We got 92% coverage here, and it's surprising how much light is still available at that point. The sun was a thin crescent and it looked like the beginning of sunset with a slight orange tint to the light. It felt more like a cool autumn morning, with low light and lower temperature as well.
    I experienced a total eclipse in '79, and there is a big difference between that and a partial eclipse. With a total eclipse, it feels as if the sun just got turned off. Quite spooky, actually.

As DK said it felt like storm clouds by us.

I would have liked to been in totality path.
    That looked damn cool it getting dark like that and the atmosphere on tv looked great.

Hey, there is not much the country is agreeing on lately and it seemed pretty much everyone was at least interested in this.

And that picture of Trump staring at it w/o glasses after weeks of saying you shouldn't was laughing out loud funny 555

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    I've seen several partial eclipses in Norway and in Thailand.....it's fine, but nothing I would get all exited about. Extreme weather is more exiting IMO.
    Nothings like a crazy thunderstorm every now and then :-)
    But this is a total eclipse and hasn't occurred there for 99 years.....just watching on TV was awesome.

Apparently there is another one in 2024 stretching from Texas upto Maine......so not so far away.

Quote Originally Posted by BroTiger View Post

I experienced an eclipse many moons (pun) ago that was near total, could have been '79 ... heck if I remember
    A total eclipse really spooks animals, wild or domestic.
    Animals, like us, have a circadian rhythm and are really spooked

Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post
    Hey Pablo

That's just great, I am away from my map at the moment but I'll hunt through all those.
    It is always difficult planning as we are different to many tourists. To us the driving and contrasting scenery and landscapes are magical and we often find many animals such as deer, pronghorns, elk etc and love those. The smaller towns appeal to us.
    Writing this in Austin NV and it is really quaint, had a beer with a couple of locals in the saloon and they were great gentlemen. Had a great day as Hwy 50 tracks part of the Pony Express trail and the old Butterfield stage routes and we got photo's of what we wanted. Did I mention how beautiful the countryside is?

Ely, we have overnighted before but I want to see the train museum too.

Usually we spend 2 nights minimum in a place as it is a hassle dragging our stuff for 3 months in and out for a one nighter and TL does not travel lightly.

Stayed in Whitefish and went through Glacier Park a couple of years ago and we may drift back up there, It really is beautiful country and the drive down to Great Falls is excellent too. We have a couple of weeks in Cooke City (stayed there last year) and if we have timed it right we should strike the first snowfall which makes the bears a lot more active and we love spotting them. Yellowstone is just absolutely incredible and you can still find spots of isolation where you can see animals that other people miss.

I'll be pouring over the map tomorrow night, thanks so much for your help.
    I've been through Cooke City a couple of times and really like the area. One winter, we "holed" up there for 4 nights, while taking our snowmobiles through the park and all the fabulous places around there. (As I recall, Yamaha was doing field tests of their latest snowmobile models while we were there.)

I'm sure you'll enjoy the trip, wherever you go.

Be safe.

P.S. Missed the eclipse, as it was cloudy and raining this A.M.
    Last edited by Pablo; 22nd August 2017 at 16:01.
    TLandHim likes this.

I was at my store this morning during the eclipse, I've been busy as fuck all week and didn't even attempt to get any glasses for the event....

The thing started happening and I was kinda bummed that I couldn't view it. I said as much out in my shop when one of the techs said " no prob "

He went into the shop and seconds later came out with a welders mask! It worked perfectly. 55
    Waharoa and TLandHim like this.
    If you don’t agree with Qablo, you must be a blood drinking, baby killing PEDOPHILE! Just like Tom Hanks...

It is not because you can't see direct light you don't have indirect light.
    Something like after sunset it is completely dark immediately.
    (My lessons astronomy still come in handy sometimes)

K2
    I went ...I saw ... moved from Nashville (to escape the crowds, just in case needed to find a hole in the clouds) and watched 2:35 mins of totality from Central Hill Dam NE of Nashville - words don't do it justice.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Its My Life .....!

Well done Kev.

Beautiful.
    K2 likes this.

That is a stunning photo of the eclipse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    K2 likes this.

It is 3AM here in California now and there seems to be a 100% solar eclipse.
    It happens quite frequently and last for many hours at a time.
    geir likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    I went ...I saw ... moved from Nashville (to escape the crowds, just in case needed to find a hole in the clouds) and watched 2:35 mins of totality from Central Hill Dam NE of Nashville - words don't do it justice.
    Awesome. I'm about 20 miles north of Nashville and my backyard was the perfect spot.
    Get out there in the game, don't sit up in the bleachers. That is the philosophy of pimps and preachers.

Quote Originally Posted by Thin White Duke View Post
    But this is a total eclipse and hasn't occurred there for 99 years.....just watching on TV was awesome.

Apparently there is another one in 2024 stretching from Texas upto Maine......so not so far away.
    I've seen at least 1 full one in Thailand, and we are getting another 2 early next year plus another 3-4 partly ones, so maybe that's why I never got the fuzz about it.
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

I've seen at least 1 full one in Thailand, and we are getting another 2 early next year plus another 3-4 partly ones, so maybe that's why I never got the fuzz about it.
    Think you really are missing the exclusivity of being part of these events. The last total solar eclipse in Thailand was in 1995 and only visible in the north (path below). The next in Thailand will be in 2070. Don't confuse it with lunar or partial solar eclipses.

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
    Think you really are missing the exclusivity of being part of these events. The last total solar eclipse in Thailand was in 1995 and only visible in the north (path below). The next in Thailand will be in 2070. Don't confuse it with lunar or partial solar eclipses.

The 2 full eclipses are Lunar and I think it's 3 partly solar eclipses coming up in Thailand in 2018
    A blowjob is better than no job!!

The 2 full eclipses are Lunar and I think it's 3 partly solar eclipses coming up in Thailand in 2018

Yes, and that is of course my point. The total solar eclipse over the US that just happened was a very exclusive event, hence the fuzz. Lunar or partial eclipses are much more common in a country like Thailand because the lunar penumbra shadow is bigger. So two very different astronomical events.

Last edited by sundancekid; 30th August 2017 at 10:29.
    Thin White Duke likes this.

K2

Next US Total Solar Eclipse 8 April 2024

Not too long to wait for the next US total eclipse - 8 April 2024, problem is that it's in springtime when likely to be clouds, but it will be twice as long as this years event.

As far as Thailand goes - my wife thinks she saw an eclipse in Phuket in 1995, which did not happen - I remember seeing the signs in Bangla Road, but must have been hype for the near total event. I sure won't be around in 2070!

National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand (Public Organization) - SOLAR ECLIPSES IN SIAM (THAILAND)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    sundancekid likes this.
    Its My Life .....!

K2
    Quote Originally Posted by tnlawyer View Post
    Awesome. I'm about 20 miles north of Nashville and my backyard was the perfect spot.
    I found Tennessee very hospitable indeed - the only area I had not visited during my massive road trips of '84 & '86.
    tnlawyer likes this.
    Its My Life .....!

I think we take our World and what is beyond for granted to be honest.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast