Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Death of a forum

Death of a forum

With recent comments giving the impression that unless we are discussing the USA....all other discussions are futile.

Now seeing as this is an Asian forum.....why bother?
    Last edited by Thin White Duke; 5th November 2017 at 17:32.
    Captain, K2 and Yes like this.

Oh for sure

This forum is done and dusted in terms of Asia

It's just a forum for politics now
    I enjoy the debates and the arguments over politics but there is nothing else going on here

Sorry to say but it seems to have run its course as an Asia Info source long ago. New membership isn't forthcoming regarding anyone asking pertinent questions about the area, so its drifted into topics anyone can contribute to.
    What I find more depressing are the long term members that no longer contribute. No Faulty, Dodger, Kris one,Dupree, etc etc. One by one, members are disappearing for their own reasons. Its a shame but we all move on.
    K2 likes this.
    RIP Nicke June 1971 - Jan 2013.

AT SOME POINT IN LIFE, EVERYONE HAS GAMBLED ON A FART AND LOST.

Personally, still living here in Patong but traveling a lot, I have so much info, ideas, questions, pictures, blah blah blah that I'd like to share -- but even when doing that it is mostly for nostalgia for most dudes, very few pick up on any current info, or reply, so even when I think to post, I usually don't much.

I don't follow any other Phuket forums actually, are there any good ones? When the old P-I was for sale, I think I stopped bidding-to-buy at the $850 mark, probably ran it up a few $100's for the buyers, but with all the tricky laws in Thailand, it's not a surprise there aren't so many websites or forums/activity as before. Or there might be, but I haven't found one like the previous one. Who knows, things change but TripAdvisor isn't answering all the questions! Cheers Dudes!!!
    LivinLOS likes this.

I’m guessing that the majority of the active members on here don’t monger or travel Asia extensively anymore. That probably plays a part in the lack of P-I type content. I enjoy some of the political banter and do like keeping up with the goings on in Thailand when someone posts updates. It’s a nice counter to the glass half full/the junta is good BS that I get from the wife 55. It’s nice hearing the viewpoints of non-Thais with boots on the ground.
    Get out there in the game, don't sit up in the bleachers. That is the philosophy of pimps and preachers.

The best info I get is about movies and television series, and sometimes the sports can be interesting. I really do miss laughing at some of the newbies and their mistakes.....used to be a lot fun and great entertainment. I made so many friends that I thought (hoped) would last forever, but, sadly, that does not seem to be the case. There are some great characters that I have met over the years, and they are missed.
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Like much of life these days it has become "The Donald Trump Show"...with The Haters on one side and The Lovers on the other...and frankly I'm trying to keep all that out of my life for my own sanity's sake...I didn't come to live/retire on a tropical island in Thailand to spitefuly debate poltics
    Namlay, joyep, Yes and 3 others like this.

K2
    Perhaps this Forum should be renamed the Anything but Asia Info Forum!

Sadly other than checking for spam or reported posts - it's a struggle to engage with the political stuff that dominates the Forum now - I read these threads as it's not politicians that have any real power anyway, all the smoke and bluster and it's the money men behind the curtains that really run the show. Fools to think we the people have any significant power!

Sure - I miss the old days of P-I, and as has been noted after Nicke's passing it would be very difficult to keep the feel of P-I going without a base where we could actually meet. I think what's happened with A-I pretty much mirrors the realities of cyber friendships vs. real friends - without meeting for real now and then (new and old BM's) the real connectedness just is not there. For me Facebook has taken over to stay in touch with the BM's I'm friends with and while I'll still keep an eye out here - I long given up hope for things to improve here given the predominance of special interest BM's still actively posting.
    Its My Life .....!

I guess the forum started to wide. All of Asia, or even all of Thailand was to much.
    P.I. Was only about Phuket, and had only side forums about Pattaya, Bangkok and Chiang Mai.
    People looking for info about Phuket just googled “Phuket” and found the forum. That is how I found it.
    Others arrived on the forum by visiting MTB.
    No new people will arrive here, while a lot of others moved away. No new influx.
    I still visit Phuket 3 times a year, but go to Bangla only once a week, as I stay in Kathu.
    I still have info about restaurants and so, but nobody interacts. I started some threads in other. On the contrary, I tried twice on money changing and some usefull apps, but no answers.
    So the only thing that stays alive is the threads about politics, with a lot of slantering. I had my say about that and now keep out as much as possible. Once you said your opinion it is no use continuing, just hope for the best ( or least worse) and hope for the next change.
    Hobbsy, dontpanic and Waharoa like this.

OKI THEN.........anybody now about any BJ bars in Patong
    billpay likes this.
    Nobody is a social drinker. Everybody drinks to get drunk. I mean, nobody drinks 10 pints of coke in a night

I still like posting trip reports here but the forum has a few issues. The first of which is there is no base, no place for people to meet up which really was the unique selling point of PI. Pattaya addicts has made Soi 6 its home and even though posts seem to have dwindled there too a lot of them are based around the 6. If there are no business owners on the forum maybe we can reach out to some? Also a roll call sticky where people could post up travel plans could be useful. I'm already looking at getting to Hua Hin next year and could do with some recommendations.

There is also a problem of newbies not posting, there's over 800 registered members but there's less than 100 who are deemed active. Can they be emailed with a message along the lines of 'We see you haven't posted in a while etc.' I think PI had between 4-5000 members but a lot more trip reports and newbie questions.

I think forums may be dying a death anyway, the move to vloggers and twitter have shifted the goalposts somewhat, there are several Thailand vloggers who maybe happy with a potential audience of 1000 people every time they post? Maybe we should start building some alliances?

Just a few suggestions, yes they all take time and effort and probably money as internet advertising is also a great way of reaching a larger audience. Alternative is we just let it die and does anyone really want that?

^^ Yes forums generally seem to be less the thing now...but still think it could work a hell of a lot better here without the old boys club mentality....but perhaps that is too ingrained here

The way things are going here it could just be a big whatsapp group now!!.....shame as a forum is a great resource of info and in a country like Thailand with so many grey areas...comes in very handy!

Maybe a few posts in the main section might be an idea as to a non-member the forum would just look completely dead right now?!
    Last edited by davis121; 7th November 2017 at 12:29.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    There is also a problem of newbies not posting, there's over 800 registered members but there's less than 100 who are deemed active.
    Sorry didn't read that post properly before....thats actually a lot more than I thought were now using the forum to be fair! active maybe logged in within last 30 days or something?

Quote Originally Posted by davis121 View Post
    Sorry didn't read that post properly before....thats actually a lot more than I thought were now using the forum to be fair! active maybe logged in within last 30 days or something?
    They'll mostly be Russian Spammers....

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    I think PI had between 4-5000 members...
    Add a zero!

Attachment 5178
    dontpanic likes this.

I am not even logging in on a weekly basis at the moment (may change on my return to Chiang Mai in a few weeks for new year).

So my story is, this summer I have had an absolute blast in Europe, the biz I launched is blowing up, I now have 40 - 45 guys working for me in 3 countries, orders in the pipeline for over 100 in 2018, found and motivated a young team of hungry commission only hustlers to kick ass in 2018, got some solid mid tier clients, secured 2 mil EUR in accessible growth finance (literally on Thursday). Currently turning over >200k a month with the clear expectation of easily doubling that early 2018, and hoping to quadruple it. All being run from a few laptops, hotel rooms, and the seat of my motor.

The obvious flipside of that is working 20 hour days multiple days a week, waking at 4am with my mind fizzing with ideas and solutions, driving a minimum of 1000 kms weekly (sometimes 3 times that) and generally not getting much time to even launder my clothes, or grab a sandwich. I managed to wrangle a 5 year UK visa for my wife, and we got by on tourist visas this year for schengen, but I am considering making her a Portugese resident as her assistance in keeping me focused on the work has been much more useful than I could ever have guessed.

I am departing from UK tomorrow to include Paris, Val d'Isere, Andorra (I need to see about one of those 'special' banks ), then loose plans maybe barcelona, maybe Cartegena or Grenada, before hitting a 6 bed portugese villa rented for the winter. Its been an absolute blast of a summer, a stunning warm and beautiful autumn of color change (I had a cabin in some woods) and all around exceeding expectations on every front for the last few months. We have been eating mussels in Brussels, oysters in Amsterdam, and generally having a ball, but its mid November and its time for this birdie to fly south for the winter !!

Even as I am typing this post I just had an email order for 6 more men for instant start, another 10% growth !! Its happening that fast..

All in all, life is going far better than it has in ages, loving having challenges and problems to overcome, building teams, facing down construction workers and bankers, and through force of will building another multi national multi 100 employee corporation in only a few years. I will be keeping an asian home, my dog is still back there which is killing me, and obviously its where the wife feels 'home, but the ability to make another few mil, live large with fast cars and flash pads, maybe establish a proper compound down in Spain or Portugal, and be fully hyped by it all is a great mid life crisis.

Given the above, logging in and arguing about Trump or bitcoins, isnt high on my list
    billpay, K2, sundancekid and 7 others like this.

^Great to hear. Always excited for someone I know to kill it! Congrats.....you deserve it.

I would even support Hillary for president for that kind of coin.55555
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Are you back doing contract recruitment again Lil?

I half expected you to say you were leading the Catalonian rebellion!
    Dkdude likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    Are you back doing contract recruitment again Lil?
    Yeah back arbitraging tax systems.. Exporting UK and Irish labour from lower tax regimes, cross border, to higher tax regimes..

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Yeah back arbitraging tax systems.. Exporting UK and Irish labour from lower tax regimes, cross border, to higher tax regimes..
    Is it Brexit proof, or do you hope to be out by then?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast