Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Habitat For Humanity DK-Style

Habitat For Humanity DK-Style

Habitat For Humanity DK-Style

A few weeks ago I was given a “small” job getting a house ready for section-8 inspection.
    Section-8 is subsidized housing, in this case for a 30-year old mom with three kids and with a father that had disappeared.
    The property manager told me that the project would be just a handful of hours, with him being Chinese thinking Everything takes just five minutes I made plans to stay overnight.
    He had scheduled section 8-inspection for the next day, and OH My Buddha that house was in need of 100’s of work items and when the inspector came she quickly announced that it was not ready for inspection as in her opinion it had to be move-in-ready with everything being sparkling clean and silly statements like the water heater needs 100% oxygen (little did she know that ambient air is 20.95% O2)
    A “normal” inspector may be anal, but mostly concerned is with safety and functionality.
    So she left and I was looking at 100’s of hours of work and the China-Man said screw it and screw section-8.
    Having met the young lady (pharmacist technician) and her three kids I could not deal with that and I asked for a few more days and I offered to basically work for free … there is a point where you have to lend a hand and do what you can.
    This is a 100% Mexican community and the lady is Mexican. I told her to start calling family and friends and I walked door-to-door in the neighborhood requesting help.
    Help could be just an hour or two, whatever one could spare and especially if they mastered a special trade (cleaning, painting, dry-walling, etc.).
    I received so much help that my work changed from “doing something” to managing. There were a few items I would not let others do, such as electrical (with many using power tools, I had to work on everything live … only got shocked a couple of times). More than 25 outlets had to be replaced (cracked, reversed wiring, missing grounds (earth) or defective GFCI’s).
    The female-dog of an inspector required eight smoke detectors and two CO detectors where California building code required four and one.
    I had three teens working for a day and it was kinda funny. Half the time they were on social media, but they managed to get a closet done that had mildew and mold, but by the time I taught the to hand sand (I would not allow the use of my belt sander), treat with Kilz paint and finally latex, I could probably have done it faster myself, but at least they learned something.
    I could go one and on, but would probably bore you to death … only to mention, complete cleaning of an overgrown back yard, fence repair, new gates, new flooring, replacing doors, all doorknobs in the house, two toilets, sinks, etc. were part of the tasks. … oh, and I installed a new section in the kitchen and lowered the height of the counter to 34” rather than 36-37” as is standard because this young lady is only 4’9” (145cm).
    We finished a day before the next inspection and passed with flying colors.
    After the inspector left the young lady came at me jumping of her feet for a big hug and said “you have changed my life”. She knew the property manager wanted to cancel the section-8, after she had been waiting well over a month with a “firm” offer.
    That night was one where you go to bed, close you eyes and have pleasant thoughts.

Hey DK
    that's a great achievement.
    Can't understand a landlord who doesn't look at things long term and have properties in a good state to let.
    Crappy property gets crappy tenants. Crappy tenants mean rent unpaid, property damaged.

Love your idea of getting neighbourly help, that is really innovative
    and what a great result for you and the young lady.
    MrDK likes this.

Nice goin' Lars.
    MrDK likes this.

Progressive liberalism is a mental disorder, time to M.A.G.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    Nice goin' Lars.
    Thank you, Jungle Man thought it sucked and had to bring up brining turkeys to feed orphans.
    He must be stroking with one hand while typing with the other and after clicking reply having his chair flip over backwards when laughing at his own master piece of a post. ... I doubt he has Ever handed a portion of rice to someone in need.

Good on you DK

Section 8 are tricky rentals

A lot of good deserving people and some not so good
    And some landlords do the bare minimum for them

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    Good on you DK

Section 8 are tricky rentals

A lot of good deserving people and some not so good
    And some landlords do the bare minimum for them
    I sure know they are tricky to pass inspection, now having done eight of them.
    Some inspectors will always find faults at first inspection, only to make a need to come back ... job security, I guess.
    I had one inspector finding just one fault witch was a wrong type of light bulb in a kitchen vent hood.

This property manager like section-8.
    By his words, higher rent (in this case $2,400 vs. $2,000), guaranteed payment, guaranteed receive it as you let it and generally longer term renters.
    I am sure this fine young lady will be in that house till the youngest leave the nest, so give that 10+ years, maybe longer.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDK View Post
    Thank you, Jungle Man thought it sucked and had to bring up brining turkeys to feed orphans.
    He must be stroking with one hand while typing with the other and after clicking reply having his chair flip over backwards when laughing at his own master piece of a post. ... I doubt he has Ever handed a portion of rice to someone in need.
    Knowing what kind of freak you are, i am sure you didnt do it to be nice.
    It would be an impressive act from you, if it wasnt that you do it to brag.... If you now even done it..

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    Knowing what kind of freak you are, i am sure you didnt do it to be nice.
    It would be an impressive act from you, if it wasnt that you do it to brag.... If you now even done it..
    You are not worth any of the space you occupy.
    Even a thread that is intended to be positive you, and ONLY you, attempt/manage to destroy.
    Unlike pretending/threatening to steel candy, I did do it to be nice ... something you will NEVER comprehend
    You have a problem with someone bringing thanksgiving meals to Thailand, you have a problem with fundraising for an orphanage, you have a problem with someone bringing gifts and now you have a problem with someone helping a family getting settled in a house.
    YOU ARE the one with a sad problem.
    What kind of Little person are you?
    Namlay, Dkdude and obes like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDK View Post
    You are not worth any of the space you occupy.
    Even a thread that is intended to be positive you, and ONLY you, attempt/manage to destroy.
    Unlike pretending/threatening to steel candy, I did do it to be nice ... something you will NEVER comprehend
    You have a problem with someone bringing thanksgiving meals to Thailand, you have a problem with fundraising for an orphanage, you have a problem with someone bringing gifts and now you have a problem with someone helping a family getting settled in a house.
    YOU ARE the one with a sad problem.
    What kind of Little person are you?
    So giving underwear and shirts with your name on to bargirls is “charity”....? 55555555

Its not intended to be positive. Its intended to brag and get people to think you are a unselfish guy.
    Others know what a freak you are, and only do it to get attention and have another agenda for something you want...

I NEVER gave a shirt with my name (or board name) to ANY girl
    I have explained this to you, but with a brain comparable to than of an ant, one should not expect anything more ... besides threaten to steel candy
    As for you, you would know charity from a whole in the ground, not would you have a clue as to positive about Anything.
    You definitely is a sad and miserable individual, but probably align itself well with the Nordic jungle you are from; have you noticed you are the ONLY one who have expressed negative views. It is blatantly apparent that you are on a personal mission, anyone can see it ... you are a troll and a cancer to the board.

Obviously DK and I don't get along and sure, you can say he posts info about his charity endeavors to brag
    But if you look at it in a positive light, when people talk about their charity it can prompt others to also do some charity

Does DK like to let us know what he does, sure
    But I truly believe he does do things for the right purposes..............so who gives a hoot if he let's us know

More people should do charity, including myself!
    MrDK and Pablo like this.

What's the whole underwear and shirts thing about?

Quote Originally Posted by Thin White Duke View Post
    What's the whole underwear and shirts thing about?
    In his own style, Lars used to bring sexy underwear and football shirts with his name on, and give the girls..

Its still some confusion if he really gave away the underwear or used them himself...55555

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    In his own style, Lars used to bring sexy underwear and football shirts with his name on, and give the girls..
    You are lying AGAIN.
    You have a completion level of a two year old

This is fucked up. DK did a nice thing...can’t we just acknowledge that without throwing rocks?
    TLandHim, Dkdude, Waharoa and 3 others like this.
    Get out there in the game, don't sit up in the bleachers. That is the philosophy of pimps and preachers.

Quote Originally Posted by tnlawyer View Post
    This is fucked up. DK did a nice thing...can’t we just acknowledge that without throwing rocks?
    DK has a track record of doing charity
    Sure he let's people know but doesn't beat you over the head about it

I honestly think it's the perfect amount of talking about it to maybe get others to do something also

Honestly if you hate DK that much then just stay out of the thread instead of bringing negativity into it

A lot of us have plenty of blame for the negativity on this board
    We don't need it in every thread
    MrDK likes this.

I honestly think it's the perfect amount of talking about it to maybe get others to do something also

Honestly if you hate DK that much then just stay out of the thread instead of bringing negativity into it

While you're being so "decent" to Lars, why don't you pay him the $10,000 that you lost to him on a bet?
    MrDK likes this.

Doing "something" for charity once in a while should be something everybody with an ability should consider.
    It can be a bit of money, food or some time spent.
    It does not really matter where you put your efforts, being it elderly, children, poor, disabled, cancer or whatever.
    Do something once in a while ... unless you are a Nordic jungle man.

Talking about track record and how it can come back to help you.
    When I moved to US (Minneapolis) I became involved with a charity that helped just married, but little money, have a reception.
    Everybody offered some time for free, being it music, cooking, serving food.
    I became a server and did so about once a quarter ... did get a free meal, but it was fun and who would think of an EE to wait on tables.
    The day came when I needed a reception and did not have the money for even a medium one. Guess what happened? I was the next to be recipient and Everything was free, except I had to pay for raw material (food); IIRC my reception for more than 50 people cost me about $1K.

I will add a couple of more examples, not to be understood by jungle man, but not related to me.
    A good friend of mine were in Monterey and came across a (black) guy before Xmas with his hood open and scratching his head. Turned out his battery was shot and jump starting proved difficult. My friend went to a store and bought the guy a new battery and a wrench to facilitate the replacement. Merry Xmas, except in jungle land where it probably would be considered racist.
    When I told an ex boss of mine about fund racing for an orphanage (I asked him for help), he took it a step further and sponsored a student in Milwaukee get through college; same guy that had a down-syndrome boy. He later made a statement that stuck in my mind ever since: "If you can just help ONE person get from point A to point B and improve a life, you have done your part". I am sure in Swedish jungle language that is freaky as well.
    I know several people who have helped in soup kitchens, especially around Thanksgiving and Xmas.

I know that in the jungle it is freaky and self-serving to mention things you do to help, but I know for a FACT that some get inspired to do something.

The VERY case that jungle boy has an issue with people bringing food to orphans is VERY telling about a warped personality.
    For the rest of you thank you for the replies, the likes and I hope some day you may cross path with someone that may need help ... even if it is just grandma with a flat tire.
    Last edited by MrDK; 8th March 2018 at 16:02.
    TLandHim likes this.

I had a friend at work that did something I'll never forget.

He was on a chilly and cold winter overnight in Minneapolis. And walking toward his hotel he came upon a young man in a tattered jacket, dirty jeans, long hair etc...asking for money. Said he was hungry and cold. (begging)

CR (my pal) told him that he'd take him to get something to eat and warm up. They walked together to a nearby restaurant and took a booth.

CR began asking him WTF he was doing on the street, and why wasn't he in school or working etc. Whatever the reasons, CR was a great guy and somehow found a way to get this guy to open up. Financially unable to continue school after his first year at the University, he began down the drug route, and was not addicted per say, but was now destitute with no home, family, or friends.

Seeing something worthwhile, CR told him that if he'd go back and finish school, he would provide the funds for him to do so...and would expect repayment after the kid graduated and became employed.

Without being foolhardy, CR met gave him some "small money" to get by for a bit, then met with him a few more times and accompanied him to the University, where he enrolled and was allocated some student housing.

CR payed for everything, and the guy made it through the next three years of schooling, graduated and found a great paying job.

Over the course of the next few years, he actually paid back a good portion of the money to my pal. Then CR told him the balance was wiped clean (about half), as a Christmas present one year.

They naturally became good friends, and the young guy eventually married and started a family...and lived happily ever after. 555

I just thought it was really something for CR to have done that, but after getting to know him better over some years...now not surprising. He had a teenage daughter at that time and a son slightly younger. After a bad divorce, CR took custody of the kids and already had his hands full. He had enough money though, as a successful landlord in Denver, CO. He had around a dozen homes in the area that he owned and leased out.

His daughter was fine, but sadly his son was afflicted with some serious physical and mental retardation issues, and struggled. I remember once, he was telling me how he had to go to "City Hall" to force a local KFC (or something) to hire his handicapped son. Winning the battle eventually, he teared up as he told me how "proud" the boy was at the time, of his new fast food service uniform. The boy was eventually overcome with physical and mental problems and finally succumbed and passed on in his later teens. Absolutely broke CR's heart. Not a fun part of the story, sorry.

And to CR...RIP buddy, thinking about you again!
    Last edited by Pablo; 8th March 2018 at 16:41.
    TLandHim likes this.

I know he has been doing it before...
    Im just trolling him and looks like it worked... Its “jungle man” all over the place now...

And i dont hate Lars. I feel sorry for him.... But im happy he has found a bff in Pablo. They sure fit together...55555

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast