Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Starbucks

Starbucks

How would you handle the situation?

"Starbucks, trying to tamp down a racially charged uproar over the arrest of two black men at one of its stores in Philadelphia, plans to close more than 8000 US stores for several hours next month to conduct racial-bias training for its nearly 175,000 workers.
    The announcement yesterday comes after the arrests sparked protests and calls for a boycott on social media. Starbucks says the stores and corporate offices will be closed on the afternoon of May 29.
    Starbucks, which once urged its employees to start conversations about race with customers, found itself through the looking glass: under fire for its treatment of black people."

There must be a hell of a lot of racial-bias trainers out of work...

I couldn't say whether Starbucks is doing the right thing or not ... mostly right I think.
    It is a seasoned company and probably knows what it is doing.
    Sometimes companies unfortunately see themselves in a management by crisis situations.
    I have never managed 1,000's, but several 10's and have indeed shot down the departments for "sensitivity" training for an hour or so and more than once.
    Someone using inappropriate language was a trigger.
    Whether a small, medium or large company taking a large percentage or all of your staff away from their duties is an exercise that is expensive.
    Starbucks has an issue much different than what I faced and that is the public eyes.
    The Tylenol Scandal and Crisis Management in the 80's comes to mind; costly as hell but labeled (probably) the best and most PR effective of all times and is used as a primary case study in most MBA schools. I have a hunch that the decision makers within Starbucks are fully aware of the Tylenol event and its successful outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDK View Post
    I couldn't say whether Starbucks is doing the right thing or not ... mostly right I think.
    It is a seasoned company and probably knows what it is doing.
    Sometimes companies unfortunately see themselves in a management by crisis situations.
    I have never managed 1,000's, but several 10's and have indeed shot down the departments for "sensitivity" training for an hour or so and more than once.
    Someone using inappropriate language was a trigger.
    Whether a small, medium or large company taking a large percentage or all of your staff away from their duties is an exercise that is expensive.
    Starbucks has an issue much different than what I faced and that is the public eyes.
    The Tylenol Scandal and Crisis Management in the 80's comes to mind; costly as hell but labeled (probably) the best and most PR effective of all times and is used as a primary case study in most MBA schools. I have a hunch that the decision makers within Starbucks are fully aware of the Tylenol event and its successful outcome.
    You touched on the main point........the shutdown was more a PR campaign than anything else

Not saying that wasn't smart move though

By the way...............this shouldn't even be a Starbucks issue..........I think the manager and the 2 customers could have handled it better

Just another example of cops having shit training and escalating a situation that didn't need to be escalated
    Last edited by marc26; 19th April 2018 at 21:14.

I'm not a coffee shop troll. But people do use them for business meetings. And sit there for hours. The unwritten agreement is that you buy a cup of coffee. But these darkees did not comply. The manager had every right to ask them to leave. And if they don't. What's the manager supposed to do next? Calling the cops was the only option...

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    By the way...............this shouldn't even be a Starbucks issue..........I think the manager and the 2 customers could have handled it better

Just another example of cops having shit training and escalating a situation that didn't need to be escalated
    What did the cops do wrong? they were called. they weren't arrested. They were removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    What did the cops do wrong? they were called. they weren't arrested. They were removed.
    They were detained for like 8 hours

All they had to do is ask them to leave

And listen to the 911 calls and police calls to each other.............they were categorizing it as a "group of males"

And the CEO himself said that the tape showed the manager did all of this within 2 minutes of them entering............I think the 2 guys should buy something before sitting down but also maybe give them 5mins to see if they were going to

They were detained for like 8 hours

All they had to do is ask them to leave

And listen to the 911 calls and police calls to each other.............they were categorizing it as a "group of males"

And the CEO himself said that the tape showed the manager did all of this within 2 minutes of them entering............I think the 2 guys should buy something before sitting down but also maybe give them 5mins to see if they were going to
    If they released them too soon they risk retaliation. Why give them 5 minutes? You walk in and order. It only takes 10 seconds to ask them to buy something and them to refuse. It's Philly. There is above average racial tension in that town. Maybe robbers? And you know how it is when blacks stand close together. They blend into one mass. White people can't tell if there is one big fat one or five skinny ones.

I'm not a coffee shop troll. But people do use them for business meetings. And sit there for hours. The unwritten agreement is that you buy a cup of coffee. But these darkees did not comply. The manager had every right to ask them to leave. And if they don't. What's the manager supposed to do next? Calling the cops was the only option...
    Where's the outrage for this racial epithet?

I used the term "mulatto" once to describe obama's mixed heritage, and was threatened with permanent banishment from the forum because of it.

Fuck starbucks!

Progressive liberalism is a mental disorder, time to M.A.G.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    Where's the outrage for this racial epithet?

I used the term "mulatto" once to describe obama's mixed heritage, and was threatened with permanent banishment from the forum because of it.

Fuck starbucks!
    You really don't see what Dupree is doing here??? 5555

You are that dim-witted????

Mulatto vs Darkee...don't you see the difference?

So, in dawsey's so declared "zero tolerance" ruling on racist terms, I'd be alright to say "spearchucker, jungle bunny, nigger, spade, etc.". as long as I do it in a satirical form?

You're a completely two faced ass hat!
    obes likes this.

The Right are just too stupid to live..555

Spoken like a true fascist twink.

Spoken like a true fascist twink.
    Why don't you take your lap dog obes for a walk around the park. So you can get some needed man love.

Haha
    He really didn't realize you were talking the puss out of him 5555

Fxuk.....have you ever met a smart racist?
    Its like they don't exist.....like unicorns 5555

Wow
    Some real management ability shown in these replies.

^I think it's that Pablo didn't realise that Dupree was parodying him.... or rather others like him... though I find it hard to believe he didn't and is just trying to double bluff that he missed the sarcasm and is taking it serious...

Quote Originally Posted by Waharoa View Post
    ^I think it's that Pablo didn't realise that Dupree was parodying him.... or rather others like him... though I find it hard to believe he didn't and is just trying to double bluff that he missed the sarcasm and is taking it serious...
    Like I said Einstein, dawsey made it pretty clear that NO racist terms would be acceptable, sarcastic, satirical, or whatever. I could plainly see that dupree was trying to be his usual smart ass, but he crossed the boundary...according to roger's edict.

BTW, that was really funny and clever of doops, huh?

I guess you mutts don't get that "mulatto" is an actual word defining one of mixed race...whereas "darkee" is definitely an insulting racist term?

I heard the outrage over the usage way back when, and then got threatened for the use of the word mulatto!

I guess that I'm addressing the three stooges, with you respondents?
    Last edited by Pablo; 20th April 2018 at 14:08.

Like I said Einstein, dawsey made it pretty clear that NO racist terms would be acceptable, sarcastic, satirical, or whatever. I could plainly see that dupree was trying to be his usual smart ass, but he crossed the boundary...according to roger's edict.

BTW, that was really funny and clever of doops, huh?

I guess you mutts don't get that "mulatto" is an actual word defining one of mixed race...whereas "darkee" is definitely an insulting racist term?

I heard the outrage over the usage way back when, and then got threatened for the use of the word mulatto!

I guess that I'm addressing the three stooges, with you respondents?
    So this this post of yours.... used racist terms...

Even if you are describing something/ someone else? Comes under the "whatever" description?

Where do you draw the line then? I am thinking probably at "intention". And we all know what Dupree meant.... and also what you meant previously when using racist terms...

It's pretty black and white.... 55
    Last edited by Waharoa; 20th April 2018 at 14:13.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast