Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Shit you did as a kid

I guess when you got out of that situation and saw some real deprivation in the States... it changed you.
    MrDK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thin White Duke View Post
    I don't know but it seems you may just have been a spoilt privileged kid who was acting out... probably justified with some family problems.

It is interesting you were able to turn it around and become a decent person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thin White Duke View Post
    I guess when you got out of that situation and saw some real deprivation in the States... it changed you.
    I both agree and disagree.
    Spoiled: That would be far from the truth ... at least going by definition:
    A spoiled child is a derogatory term aimed at children who exhibit behavioral problems from being overindulged by their parents. Children and teens who are perceived as spoiled may be described as "overindulged", "grandiose", "narcissistic" or "egocentric-regressed".
    I would say lack of attention when mom and dad marriage was "sinking" was a huge factor, but also add that my dad was manic-depressive (PC=Bipolar).
    Aside from things like pissing out the window down on construction worker and trying to derail train and other random stuff at four and five, nothing really started before their problems started. Also much of the shit they were not aware of. Add that most time I actually was a good kid, only my actions went above what you normally would see.
    Privileged: I am not sure what is meant here, but certainly privileged in that I had a roof over my head and always food on the table. Concerning finances I started making money at age 11, received a very modest allowance My dad had rule that if I wanted something he could agree with I had to save up 50% myself and I have to want it for more than a month. My charity work started early as a boy scout and included helping elderly with garden with; never asked for compensation, but always receive a bit.
    Deprivation: Not sure, again. The only deprivation I saw was being paid below norm by a stupid Danish boss. I did have company car and could afford to visit bars. If you are referring to that of others it was hardly existing in Minnesota; the worst I saw was when helping newlyweds getting a wedding reception for as many as 100 people.
    Turn Around: You are 100% correct and I am glad it happened. I honest can not explain in detail, but I think a change in environment and be held responsible for my own actions. Remember when I first set foot in US I had no friends there, I only knew one colleague that held my hand for a bit. I actually hated US for at least six months, but had promised myself to give it two years and by that time I never looked back.
    Thank You for your post and though I do not all agree I appreciate it ... in large part because you come across as being polite and friendly. In such terms I do not mind disagreements or being challenged.
    May I conclude that I made the thread title, not to draw many conclusions. It was actually with a bit of hesitation I started it because I started another thread, much more personal, was destroyed by a couple of board members; that one is well, alive and respected on another LOS board. I actually have several other threads (not personal), but I am sure they will be derailed in a matter of days by the duo.
    Thanks Again ... and if you, or others, have just a story or two to share don't hold back.

Appreciate the answer.

It helps to understand the context.
    MrDK likes this.

Age 17 (part 4):

Back then you had to be 18 to get a drivers license, but practice and exam could be done three months before. I had all the credentials at 17. The old folks always took the bus to city center for work and the fine blue Opel Record (D) was sitting in the garage. I manage to snatch the key and took it to a friend’s house at the other end of town. When ready to return the steering wheel lock had jammed. We tried all we could, even with his dad’s help, but to no avail so we had to call Falck (tow truck) and by the time I came home. The old folks were already back from work. … I was NEVER allowed to borrow the car after turning 18.

Let’s talk real shit. In DK (when I lived there) there was a program where kids would spend a week in a workplace learning work skills for one week each of the last two years (practitioner) high school. I chose cook the first year and electronic repair the second. When I was at the E-shop I had to take a dump; back then I could go nearly a week between and on day I was constipated used the bathroom; the outcome was so big it nearly reached the edge of the bowl and would not flush. I pretended nothing, but later it was discovered. Several had to take a look and one yelled that it was the practitioner (me) and others said a small boy could not lay a ni**er arm like that … I was in the clear.

When I was 16 I tried hash for the first time, did nothing and later that night I was encouraged to light the hash pipe with black afghan and got sick, but at age 17 I decided to go and buy some myself. In Odense the best place to buy was near city center right across from the police station. I negotiated the price and accepted with the condition the seller (pusher) lit a pipe to share.
    It was one of the few winter nights in DK when there was “heavy” snow, probably a foot high, and I decided to walk 2 miles / 3 km home, as I was I was greeted by my dad in the hallway, stoned. I just told him I needed to go to bed. Nothing more was spoken and I doubt he knew the exact reason.
    To conclude the hash part I did not do it often and a year or two later got sick again (well more like super dizzy) and Never tried it again.

The rest of one’s teens you are no longer a kid, though some may call a 25-year old a kid. I will throw in some “rest of teens” shit.

Age 18-20 (part 1)
    My step dad had an automobile dealership and for my 18th birthday he gave me a 1968 Morris Marina 1300 (AKA Austin 1300). It only had 60KKM on the odometer, but rusty to the hilt.
    A class mate’s farter was the biggest wholesaler of auto parts in town and while the warehouse was closed on weekends me and another class made (fixing a Renault 8) went shopping for the parts needed. Cash only, except when a case of beer would do; I am sure his dad saw non of that. I got fenders, side panels, door panels and hood and much more for half of wholesale prices.
    It took me near to a year to fix that car … piece of shit British Leyland it was.

By then I went to school in Southern DK (Sønderborg) and me and a friend headed for Germany to buy beers in my just finished car, but on the way I managed to smash my beautiful freshly metallic green car. In a 90º bend and ice on the road I drove too fast and over steered putting the car into a spin. A motorist from the opposite direction said he saw my tail lights twice before I hit a sign by the left front. No one was hurt and having someone bring some rope we manage to tie the hanging parts together so I could drive it back to the dorm.

My old class mate said he could no longer provide parts, except at full wholesale prices. As luck would have it another friend with the same model car he had his own problems with his and we found a used one ready for the junk yard, but drivable. He needed some parts as did I some others we went Dutch and bought it After we had ripped the car, except engine parts, it was still drivable … minus a door, hood, wind shield, back seat, bumpers and some more, we then decided to have some fun with it. We took it to a beach no one went to, hard compacted sand and nothing but rocks in the water. Spun it around in doughnuts and were speeding up and down the coast. When it was my turn to drive I drove by a tree in the middle of the beach opened the one door still on the car and backed up as fast as I could and as close to the tree as I could slamming the door in to it. I did not fall off, but certainly could not close either. A final head on in to the tree spelled the end as the radiator blew. We removed some engine parts and fortunately we had removed the serial number of the car before hand, so we left it there.
    Waharoa likes this.

With a broken computer and a few other issues I never got to the end, with just three parts to go

Age 18-20 (part 2)
    At the dorm we were not allow alcohol in the room, but there was never a check, we bought cans after cans in Germany and the empties were stored in closets. Me and my roommate decided to collect as many from others as we could and have some fun with them.
    We stacked them up in front of the double doors to the office really early in the morning. Behinf the office (through the same doors) was a bedroom for the night attendant. I do not know how many cans, but I guess 2-300, and we were waiting for the attendant to wake up and emerge and when he opened the doors there we beer cans everywhere and since one door swung open towards the stairs down to the cafeteria countless number were rolling down.

Also a the dorm a guy was driving a Morris Mini. One night a bunch of us decide to pull a prank. I think there were 8-10 of us. We picked up the car at night lifting it up 4 steps in to the lobby and left it for him to discover on his way to cafeteria in themorning. The expression on his face seeing his car in the middle of the marble lobby was priceless.

The principle of the dorm few liked. One day a week it was his duty to be the night attendant. He always biked to work, locked his bike but not onto something and always leaning on a lamp post outside the entrance. The lamp posts were not that tall, perhaps 4 meters. With the help from a couple of others I climbed to the top with a rope, swung it over so the ones on the ground could hoist it up and I got it over the post so to be in between the top, down and seat tubes. Once I was on the ground it was lowered to the ground. It took the fire department to get his bike back.

Age 18-20 (part 3)
    When I got into electronics I of course starting building my own, but I also landed a job as teacher in extra curriculums. At age 18 I had three hours a week and by 19 two times three. The hourly pay was amazing, $30 using today’s rate (with inflation much more), and a class hour was 45 minutes so 2¼ hour each day. The first class the first student entered the classroom on moped and the second went to the sink in the room and squeezed his palm against the faucet and sprayed the moped guy and me with water. I almost quit, but I had a card that made it stop, which was to sign, ot not sign, a report card every week which if positive allowed the student to attend Friday night dances at every school that offered them (See further down)

Sometimes during the first semester a student gained access to my tool box and found a tube of crazy glue (back then called cyanolit). I explained the danger of the glue, but he did not believe me so he pup a drop on a thumb and a drop on an index finger and pressed the two together for several second and the could not separate them. My first response was off to ER. He started to cry and would not go, so took matters in to my own hands. Took out a scalpel and started to cut and separate. It was a slow process, but no blood, but there was skin from one that stuck to the other and visa versa and he was in pain. That was when I became an expert in emergency surgery 555.

With positive report card the students would receive a pass to the next Friday night dance. By 19 I became a monitor for these youngsters close to my age. These dances spanned form late fall to early spring, so it was generally cold outside. The events was alcohol free, but in the cold they would drink hard liquor before entering and with those condition and propagation delays they appeared sober when entering, however, in the heat of the hall and time passed it had the desired effect. One time a young girl 15 or 16 manage to nearly pass out and I was asked to drive her home and explain it to her mom and dad. She pleated with me when we arrived at her address to let her walk in herself. Having done shit like that in that age I agreed … against all the rules, but I waited quite some time to make sure she did not sneak out and she did not.
    Waharoa likes this.

Age 18-20 (part 4)
    One more dorm story. We were paired up two males or two females to a room. My room mate and I stated dating two girls also being room mates so we rotated with me and one girl in one room and him and the other girl in another. One evening a mate hooked up with a girl, but felt he could not take her back to his room so I offered him one night in the (now) spare bed. Next morning she left very early and he went back to sleep. When we woke up I realized his face was full of blood, nose to chin. He had been muff-diving the girl being on the rag. It was hard to contain myself, but I manage. I wanted him to walk through the dorm all blood faced. Not long after I went for breakfast and guess who was there among 100’s with blood on his face eating. He must have gone straight there, but imagine his surprise getting back to his room, getting ready for school and looking in the mirror. I suppose I should have told him before he left my room, but nah.

Being in DK where alcohol is (was) heavily taxed (180% + 25%) a student could not afford many nights on the town. I guess that in today’s currency a rum & cola was over $15 in a disco. Fortunately there were small ferries going to Germany where taxes were negated with part of the way on international waters; these boats were catering mainly to students and prices were manageable. It was 2.5-hour R/T. Back then I liked shots of apple snaps and unlike a typical bar in DK (then) serving 2cc, on the on the ferry it was always 4cc, but they had son nice shot glasses with 2cc and 4cc lines and I made a deal with the bar tender that if I bought a shot for him and myself I could keep both the shot glasses. I ended up with so many I was selling them.
    As a side note there were several Icelandic students, including one in my class. For of them would order two bottles of rum and some liters of cola and invariable they would run dry before home port and would order more.
    One of these heavy drinkers that was in my class did not smoke. The non smokers were upset about smoking during class. We took a vote and it was tied and he was not there (hung over). That evening we got in contact with him and offered a free night on the boat if he voted ‘yes’ for smoking … and so he did the next day.

One of my earlier E-projects was building an FM transmitter. It was small enough to fit in a matchbox, including a battery. I modified the design a little to be tuned to the police frequency. I kept it my car and whenever a police vehicle would be I would start transmitting, confusing the hell out of the cops. It had a range of about 200 meter so I could stay inconspicuous even though often I could be right behind them.

Before I started at the technical institute I was given an offer to become caretaker for some apartment. There was 8 two BR and 3 one BR. I was given a one BR as compensation. The main part of the duties was to keep the sidewalks and the court yard clean. I sub contracted the sweeping and snow shoveling to two young teen brothers along with other sweeping. After expenses it cost me about 50% of normal rent during three winter months and about 25% the rest of the year. I think that is the landlord knew about this he would have fired me and let the two teens have the jobs. I held this gig from age 20 to 23 … then I moved to USA
    Waharoa likes this.

DK.. I think you are the kid that Trump would have loved to have been... ruthless... 55
    MrDK likes this.
    Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people.

Age 18-20 (part 5)

As I progressed in the electronics business repairing stereos and TV’s became a primary source of income, followed by study grants. I went so far as having loaner TV’s … I bough 10 each old portable 14” B/W, but they worked out for 2-3 days in lieu nothing. The most sold TV was various versions of Philips K9 chassis which was super reliable, except for one component. That was the one creating 25kV (tripler). They were semi expensive, but I always had them in stock, sold with 50% margin. Better yet I could disassemble, replace and assemble a TV with that issue in 15 minutes and charged for two hours.
    Maybe that was a shitty thing to do but I was overall cheaper than the shops. The “fun”, however, did not stop there. In Denmark you have to pay a license fee to the government TV station (the one and only channel), even if you do not watch it. Back then the equivalent price (using inflation) was about $1,100 per year and I was not going to pay it. Once a year the government will be out there with equipment detecting TV oscillators and if you were found to illegally operate a TV there would be fines and back-pay. Everyone knew when they were in town so when I often had five TV’s going for 8-24hr testing at a time, so I had to be careful. Only once did they come to my door and I denied having a TV, but said that the residents upstairs had three (they paid their license), so they backed off.
    If they had not bought that one I would have told them that they would be welcome to check out the apartment with a proper court issued warrant.

In some parts of DK homes are heated by district heating from the local power plants. The water comes in to the home at 60ºC/140ºF and is designed to return at least half that temperature or the caloric requirements for reheating would be too highy. In our house the connection point was in the garage so for the winter months I would make a bypass and flow the return water through an old large radiator and since the return temperature was assumed by design we paid by water volume. The net result was that the garage maintained near room temperature … free of charge.

I did something similar when I lived in the free apartment I managed to get a reduced electric rate and it was simple. The electric meter was inside the unit and the user would report their own meter reading subject to verification once a year, but I used more than average so I would place a magnet on the meter and it would stop. I would make sure to have reasonable usage by only leaving it on part of the time. Probably cut my actual bill by 60-65%. When they came to audit readings once a year all was on the up-and-up.

More savings: In the free apartment there was only one meter for heating water for 11 apartments so they used an evaporating meter reader mounted on the outside of the radiator and in the end of the year they were collected and your percentage of the bill was calculated.
    During that time I was building beer coolers for the beach consisting of a Styrofoam box, a small MC battery, a mechanical thermo switch and a solid state cooler/heater mounted on a heat sink. That would provide cooling for 9 beers for 5-7 hours at refrigerator temperature.
    I used the same element connected to power supply and when wedged behind the evaporating mater with the hot side to the radiator and the cool side to the meter I could keep it cold when I wanted.
    Last edited by MrDK; 19th January 2019 at 05:54.

Fascinating...555
    dawsey. likes this.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456