Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Service dogs

Service dogs

This has become a pretty big issue in the US now. Everybody and their mother has a service dog with certified paperwork and wants to take them everywhere. People are up in arms about this restaurant owner denying to let this army vet and his dog eat in his restaurant( law says you have to)
    In the video, even though the owner seems like an ass, i think he has a point
    What does he need the little service dog to eat breakfast for? They say it is for PTSS.

I was on a plane coming and this guy obviously wan't in anyway handicap and he had this little french bulldog puppy laid out on the floor below hi. The hostess told him to put the dog in it's carrier and he whipped out what looked like crap paper and they had to let him do what he wants. How is a dog, who slept the whole flight, servicing a guy by sleeping on the floor?

Update: The Oxford Restaurant Owner Who Kicked Out the War Vet And His Service Dog Speaks: Turns Out He is the Antichrist (You Have To See It To Believe It) Barstool Sports: Boston

I have no idea how service dogs are defined or how loosely.. I had never even thought about how dogs for the blind etc are dealt with when flying or any other time, didnt know of legal exceptions.

I personally think any business has the right to discriminate any way they want, but the public also has a right to boycott and shame any business that does so..

In the video linked.. Meh.. A dog for stress ?? You mean you cant just order breakfast without your dog ?? That all seems a bit strange to me.. Feels like someone demanding a 'right' to have his pet around that I dont know he should really have.

Only in America. I'm not sure what's worse, the fact itself or the "reporter" on that website's comments. I used to be shocked by dumb American shit like this, now it just seems on par.

I get the service aspect, I really do, but it seems all aspects of common sense go out the window when rights are involved.

Taking a dog into a restaurant is fucked up!

If he feels he absolutely has to have the mutt with him at all times, due to his "disability"...he's too fucked up to be out in public IMO! A nice padded dormitory with other "coddled me-generationals".

I have the utmost respect and empathy for our servicemen, and what they have endured. But my inner voice says "what's so different about these guys as compared to the millions of soldiers from previous era's, who returned and (with difficulty, I'm sure) assimilated back into society?"

This just seems to be more modern day, over the top, psychobabble!

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    Only in America. I'm not sure what's worse, the fact itself or the "reporter" on that website's comments. I used to be shocked by dumb American shit like this, now it just seems on par.

I get the service aspect, I really do, but it seems all aspects of common sense go out the window when rights are involved.
    he is no reporter
    it is a comedic blog but the story is legit

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    I have no idea how service dogs are defined or how loosely.. I had never even thought about how dogs for the blind etc are dealt with when flying or any other time, didnt know of legal exceptions.

I personally think any business has the right to discriminate any way they want, but the public also has a right to boycott and shame any business that does so..

In the video linked.. Meh.. A dog for stress ?? You mean you cant just order breakfast without your dog ?? That all seems a bit strange to me.. Feels like someone demanding a 'right' to have his pet around that I dont know he should really have.
    as i said, one the plane once the guy whipped out his papers, the dog was allowed to just sleep on the floor
    never woke up once, so what is he servicing that he can't be in his carrier?

I'm happy with the dog's, never seen one misbehave.

But can they keep children out of restaurants and planes?
    They are a problem
    LivinLOS, geir and Dupree like this.

In Oz, you can have seeing eye dogs (guide dogs) but these have to be certified guide dogs and you have to be certified blind as a bat (not simply legally blind). You cant refuse service or entry based on the presence of a guide dog, but guide dogs are specially trained, strict standards for breeds accepted and so on.

I just cant see why an able bodied person would need a "service" animal. I can think of few disabilities beyond blindness where an animal is more useful than electronic, mechanical or chemical aids.
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post
    I'm happy with the dog's, never seen one misbehave.

But can they keep children out of restaurants and planes?
    They are a problem
    I have more problem with drunk guys on the flights....

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    I have more problem with drunk guys on the flights....
    do you really? or just being defensive because you are a parent?

i definitely have flown on over 75 flights in my life, i don't think i have ever encountered an unruly drunk passenger. maybe a couple of loud guys

actually, kids haven't been that bad either. definitely have had a few unruly kids, but not too many
    babies are a different deal and nothing you can do about a baby crying, it isn't the baby or parent's fault on that one

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    babies are a different deal and nothing you can do about a baby crying, it isn't the baby or parent's fault on that one
    No but airlines offer free and discounted flights for babies and kids.. Yet they cause the most disruption, want the special seats, pre boarding and everything.. Yet everyone else has to bare the cost and put up with the 'not their fault' disturbances.

Any airline that restricted them to one zone or banned them completely would be high on my ticket shopping list.

No but airlines offer free and discounted flights for babies and kids.. Yet they cause the most disruption, want the special seats, pre boarding and everything.. Yet everyone else has to bare the cost and put up with the 'not their fault' disturbances.

Any airline that restricted them to one zone or banned them completely would be high on my ticket shopping list.
    yeah, believe me, i don't love it when a babie is crying in my ear
    but there is not much a parent can do but try and calm them, that is a bit different than letting their unruly older child disrupt people
    but like i said, i haven't had too much of kids being disruptive, i think the electronic gadgets really help

do you really? or just being defensive because you are a parent?

i definitely have flown on over 75 flights in my life, i don't think i have ever encountered an unruly drunk passenger. maybe a couple of loud guys

actually, kids haven't been that bad either. definitely have had a few unruly kids, but not too many
    Yes, i mean it.. Have defenitly had more problems with drunks that talk and laugh, pull in my chair when going down the isle, or kicking on my chair....

In all my trips, its only once i got really disturbed from a kid. Disturbed by drunks or people shaking my chair? Every time...

Its a 75% discount when we fly with Tim..

And causing most disruption? FFS.... All those idiots that bought flowers at the airport, and start to rip out peoples bags because they dont fit in the luggage rack over their head, is even more disrupting preflight... Not to mention all the people that need something from their bag, and just need to get it as soon as the plane starts to move out to start take off....

Special seats? Yeah right.. Special in that way that its straight in front of a wall.. Would happily change seat with you, because there is less leg space there then anywhere else on tha plane...

Pre boarding? Well... I rather sit longer out at the gate, then sit in a hot plane with bad airand wait for all idiots getting ready with their bags and flowers.....

Explain "everything"... You mean calling the air hostess and ask them to warm the baby food, or get warm water for the porridge?

As for the last line, all i can say is upgrade.... Then you dont have to worry......

^ Ah so that's what happens after I've boarded and am sipping my Champagne ... Sounds fun ....
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Yes, i mean it.. Have defenitly had more problems with drunks that talk and laugh, pull in my chair when going down the isle, or kicking on my chair....

In all my trips, its only once i got really disturbed from a kid. Disturbed by drunks or people shaking my chair? Every time...
    fcuk me, i had when someone pulls on my chair to lift themselves up
    but i usually put that down to being an asshole than drunk 555

fcuk me, i had when someone pulls on my chair to lift themselves up
    but i usually put that down to being an asshole than drunk 555
    Guess its both of them.. Drunks and assholes..555

Not to forget those that read in the inflight magazine that its good to do some exercise in the plane.. Fucking hell....
    Add then the ones walking around in the isle over and over again and then stops and chat with someone...

All this, while the kids sleep, watch movies, or play games on a computer......

So yes.. Deffo had more problem with adults then kids...

Maybe it's the towns you fly from and too that's the problem..

....as soon as there is an airline that bans humans... I'm on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    Maybe it's the towns you fly from and too that's the problem..
    That makes perfect sense , Paulie complaining about loud Americans and Tarzan about drunk Skandies 555
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast