Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: New alcohol taxes

A blowjob is better than no job!!

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    There goes the whole tourist industry. Will be crazy prices for just a bottle of beer

Between the exchange rate being ficked (albeit slight improvement last few weeks) affecting tourist who spend meaningful money in Thailand and now this; you can kiss goodbye.............Picture Thailand Burkas shopping for trinkets and Indians 10 to a hotel room sharing a 160 baht bottle of Chiang Beer and Chinks being led about by a flag from one tourist rip off shopping place to another..............there you have the whole Thailand tourist demographic

What will the cost be of a bottle of Whisky or wine? 555555555555555555555

Expats time to pack your bags............places like UK starting to look incredibly cheap!
    Last edited by Geespot; 28th August 2013 at 20:06.

Glad I'm close to Burma........all I need is a boat

'The Finance Ministry would determine the exact tax rates which it will impose.'

Might be the sentence to consider and get to know, before definitely booking your next flight out of here??? but it does not sound good.
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Glad I'm close to Burma........all I need is a boat
    And a cast iron stomach drink Burmese spirits. Never Again

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    'The Finance Ministry would determine the exact tax rates which it will impose.'

Might be the sentence to consider and get to know, before definitely booking your next flight out of here??? but it does not sound good.
    That might be the saving grace. If the ministry uses it's discretion then things might not get out of hand. But who knows it is Thailand after all and they are absolutely top drawer at shooting themselves in the foot

K2
    Since less than 10% of Thai's pay any income tax - this is one sure fire way of taxing the rest!
    Its My Life .....!

Between this and the 'we need to force health coverage on all farangs' move, I almost hope Thailand sees a huge drop in tourist revenue.

"Those terrible tourists... they cost 2 million baht per year in hospital costs!"... yeah, and they spend billions in the process.

Now its "lets tax alcohol" (to the point of idiocy)... growing ever more glad that my long range plans dont involve living in Thailand. At least in most countries, govt's are too incompetent to really screw up the status quo... here it seems the greed of the moment is always the ultimate trump card, so the ridiculous stuff that would never get off the ground elsewhere has a way of growing legs over here.
    soupdragon likes this.

I calculate that as 25 baht maximum price increase on a bottle of beer.

Debunk to the UK for this?

Pathetic.

Beer chang is 6.6% ??

2000b per liter tax on 100% alcohol..

330 ml bottle @ 6.6% = 21.78 ml of alcohol..

2000c = 1 liter = 2b per ml

43.56 of tax to be applied per 330ml bottle

I think that is the calc no ?? Looks right at first glance anyway..

Quote Originally Posted by Evilbaz View Post
    I calculate that as 25 baht maximum price increase on a bottle of beer.

Debunk to the UK for this?

Pathetic.
    25 Baht is maybe not to bad, but knowing the bar industry the prices will probably rise by 50 Baht. (100% on cost price rule)

I personally don't see this happen. Any rise above 10% will affect the tourist industry way to hard.

I personally don't see this happen. Any rise above 10% will affect the tourist industry way to hard.
    I Think that could read.. Will effect the profitability of the large power families that own the brewing giants here.. Chalerm etc is too powerful to have this happen to his brands.

If that's true why do tourists keep going back to Patong , drink prices are much more expensive than Pattaya and other places , I doubt people really care too much , it's sunny and your on holiday what's a few more baht
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    If that's true why do tourists keep going back to Patong , drink prices are much more expensive than Pattaya and other places , I doubt people really care too much , it's sunny and your on holiday what's a few more baht
    there are hookers there
    LivinLOS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    there are hookers there
    Regular tourists keep returning as well
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    there are hookers there
    As with most places in SE Asia that would be an easy alternative to Patong (e.g. Phnom Penh). I know after visiting PP it was a very welcome change and could easily tip the scales for some people on a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    As with most places in SE Asia that would be an easy alternative to Patong (e.g. Phnom Penh). I know after visiting PP it was a very welcome change and could easily tip the scales for some people on a budget.
    i am not a strict budget but if you are adding 1usd to the price of a beer, it certianly becomes noticeable

hell, i was pay 2.50usd for mixed drinks in Colombia and that made me very happy

i mean, i am not looking for the cheapest drink but i certainly take note of prices

Whatever is reported, no way they double the price of Leo beer. In fact, in the few to several years I've been here they have only raised taxes a little bit despite dire new expectations on multiple occasions. Though, I think 10 years ago ciggies were about 62 baht, now 90baht, so I could probably imagine a 50% tax phased in over 10 years on alcohol, but not overnight. Heck, I'm still bummed they dropped Singha from 6% to 5% when they increased the taxes back around 2008 or so...

I don't understand why you are so focused on the tourists. Does Thais not drink alcohol? I have a feeling that raising prices for alcohol will have a much bigger effect on Thais than on tourists. And because Thais can vote, the tax will not rise to the new maximum. Not even close to it.
    LivinLOS, soupdragon and K2 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast