• 1 Post By billpay
  • 1 Post By tnlawyer
  • 1 Post By Pablo
  • 2 Post By TLandHim
  • 3 Post By billpay
  • 1 Post By billpay

Thread: Procedure I had

Procedure I had

Thought I might share, with the few people that may read this, a knee replacement that I had on July 1st.
    I had contemplated doing this for about the last 10-20 years. I first injured my knee playing high school football more than 50 years ago. I had my meniscus (cartilage) removed at that time. Although I kept playing all sports and football in college, my knee was never 100% again. As I may have mentioned before, I was set to go to Vietnam as a second lieutenant infantry in 1969, but after an X-ray, I was deemed not fit for active service.
    Anyway, I kept playing many sports through high school and football in college even though my knee was never 100% again.
    I continued playing some sports and keeping myself in fairly decent shape over the years, but my knee was becoming more and more of a hindrance over the years.
    Soooo, I finally decided to go for it and just get a replacement. Honestly I was just too chicken shit to get it done previously....so I just kept putting it off.
    Sorry for the wordy background.
    I went in early on Monday morning, and had surgery about 10 am. What I was sweating was the pain that I was anticipating. Well, they gave me a nerve bock in my leg and a general and put me under. When I awoke, I was in very little pain. At 3 that afternoon, they got me up out of bed and had me walk with a walker a bit around the hospital.....unbelievable. Did have some pain that night, but not bad.
    The next dayI went for another little toro, then was released to go home later in the afternoon
    The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

I tend to lose long posts, so I needed to get that done.
    My first night at at home was the worst. The nerve block had by now completely worn off, so I got the full brunt of the pain.
    Still, it was not as bad as I thought it would be
    I am doing much better now, been driving for over a week and get around quite well with the walker.
    I have been going through physical therapy, which has not been easy. But you get out what you put in.
    So far I am thrilled with results and very happy that I finally had the balls to get it done.

Where was it done? Thailand?
    Hope all goes well. I heard people being very happy about it, and others complaining. Not in Thai hospitals, but in Belgium. But then we have a good social security and can have it done at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Where was it done? Thailand?
    Hope all goes well. I heard people being very happy about it, and others complaining. Not in Thai hospitals, but in Belgium. But then we have a good social security and can have it done at home.
    Sorry, should have mentioned where.
    It was done here in the states at Henderson Hospital, right next to Las Vegas. For all the negatives the US health system gets, I can say unequivocally that the hospital, the staff, surgeon, follow up care.....just everything, has been fantastic.

It would be hard to believe that it would have been equally good or better in Thailand.
    I have Medicare focus with Southwest medical. To say I have been satisfied with ALL of my doctors (primarycare, orthopedic, cardiac), would be a massive understatement.
    Last edited by billpay; 18th July 2019 at 23:23.
    Captain likes this.

Glad to hear you're recovering nicely! Should vastly improve your quality of life.
    billpay likes this.
    Get out there in the game, don't sit up in the bleachers. That is the philosophy of pimps and preachers.

Hang in there Bill.

I know two guys who've had "dual" knee replacements, and they both say the don't regret it a bit. And it's the best thing they've done for themselves in the past while.
    billpay likes this.

Progressive liberalism is a mental disorder, time to M.A.G.A.

Yeah, I already know it was the right thing to do. Happy I got it done and about 80% is behind me. Just have to do a lot of physical therapy.

Good to hear that you are on the way to recovery.
    I have had two done, the last about 20 months ago and are really pleased with the results.

At Xmas I was doing 20,000 steps most days and upwards of 20 flights of stairs (44 Flights was the best I think) starting off with 8km walk in the morning.
    Down Soi Sansabai to the beach, south down to the bridge and up to the top of the hill and then back down and do the length of Patong Beach , then home.

You are on to it, the secret is in getting going and keeping up the therapy as soon as possible.
    Riding a damned exercycle in the mornings right next to my Harley Electraguide was a good incentive. I didn't think I would be able to ride the Harley ever but 6 weeks and I was confident enough to hop on and ride and all was OK.

All the best mate and you should be delighted with the results in just a few weeks.
    Waharoa and billpay like this.

Well done on taking the plunge Bill. I had a knee op 25 years ago... not a knee replacement, but serious enough that I couldn't walk for six months. As TLandHim says... building up those thigh muscles around the knee joint is key... I am sure your physio will emphasise that to you... mobility and exercise are the quickest route to be fully functional again.
    Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people.

Good to hear your recuperating quickly from your surgery. Did you have minimally invasive knee replacement surgery or traditional replacement? I’ve read where new procedures in the last 10 years have reduced recovery times and new materials and manufacturing methods have extended the lifespan of the new implants.

I need both of mine replaced and like you have been putting it off for the last 10 to 15 years also. Racing dirt bikes in my younger years and being in the roofing business for the past 30 years has resulted in loss of mobility and knee joint pain especially going down stairs or any incline.

As I’m currently building a 2 story house up here in Udon, I better start planning on having them done or I’ll be sleeping alone on the couch!

I saw your pics on FB I think the day you had it done....., I am happy to hear it is going well

Also, glad to see you are able to be under Medicare even having been outside the country for a long time...........you've paid into it, so should be able to use it

And US hospitals are top notch if you can pay for it/have insurance

My Aetna PPO was as top notch as it gets when I worked in US
    Proof of a Scumbag

I'm sorry, but do you have me confused with one of paulie's siblings?

my truthful opinions on LGBT matters. Sorry about your son

Quote Originally Posted by andymon View Post
    Good to hear your recuperating quickly from your surgery. Did you have minimally invasive knee replacement surgery or traditional replacement? I’ve read where new procedures in the last 10 years have reduced recovery times and new materials and manufacturing methods have extended the lifespan of the new implants.

I need both of mine replaced and like you have been putting it off for the last 10 to 15 years also. Racing dirt bikes in my younger years and being in the roofing business for the past 30 years has resulted in loss of mobility and knee joint pain especially going down stairs or any incline.

As I’m currently building a 2 story house up here in Udon, I better start planning on having them done or I’ll be sleeping alone on the couch!

I had the full replacement. If you ever saw me walk, it looked as if I had polio. Some of my friends were surprised that I could walk at at 55555. Anyway, my doc is extremely pleased with the results so far. Said it was really....he was actually surprised I had not done it before.
    Get it done in the US.....only charge was a $5.54 cent copay for my walker.

Bill
    Hope all is going well. How about an update?
    Any problems?

Don't plan on too many sexual positions involving kneeling for a couple of months

It has been about six weeks now. Going better than anticipated. Going to physical therapy three times a week and exercising it everyday on my own also. I can walk without a cane but still use it when I go places.
    The key really, is pushing it hard. Some people get the replacement and think they are all set. Just does not work that way.....need to push yourself through the pain to get the best range of motion possible.
    Dkdude, Pablo and Waharoa like this.

That's excellent.

Working it hard really does pay dividends.

We live in amazing times, the medical advances have certainly made life a lot better quality for all of us.

No question about the medical advances. My last year in college I had ligaments severed in my other knee (not replacement knee), and could not put weight on it for six weeks.....had cast from toes to hip.
    Had the complete knee replacement and the had me walking a walker six HOURS after my surgery.......amazing.
    TLandHim likes this.

Don't put the cane too far away.
    A folding aluminium one costs about B250 and works well.

Great for getting on planes. Limp into the departure lounge on the cane.
    Before boarding just go up to the desk and tell them you have had recent knee surgery
    and are pretty good and the only thing you have a problem with is going down stairs or a ramp but you are fine if you can do it at your own pace,
    Can you get on first with the children etc and just take your time?
    That way you don't risk anyone nudging or pushing you

The other problem you will have is the damned X ray machine,
    Titanium sets it off every time so you'll have some fairified TSA trying to fondle your leg.

They gave me a patient I’d card that states I have a total knee replacement. Just need to show them.