Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Margaret Thatcher passes away

Margaret Thatcher passes away

"Margaret Thatcher was the woman who, virtually single-handed and in the space of one tumultuous decade, transformed a nation.
    In the view of her many admirers, she thrust a strike-infested half-pace Britain back among the front-runners in the commanding peaks of the industrial nations of the world.
    Her detractors, many of them just as vociferous, saw her as the personification of an uncaring new political philosophy known by both sides as Thatcherism.
    Tireless, fearless, unshakeable and always in command, she was Britain's first woman Prime Minister - and the first leader to win three General Elections in a row.
    Mrs Thatcher, who became Baroness Thatcher, resigned as Prime Minister in November 1990 after a year in which her fortunes plummeted.
    It was a year in which she faced a series of damaging resignations from the Cabinet, her own political judgments were publicly denounced by her own colleagues, catastrophic by-election humiliations, internal party strife, and a sense in the country that people had had enough of her after 11 years in power.
    But history will almost certainly proclaim her as one of the greatest British peacetime leaders.
    Her supporters believe she put the drive back into the British people.
    And as she transformed the nation - attempting to release the grip of the state on massive industries and public services alike - she strode the earth as one of the most influential, talked-about, listened-to and dominant statesmen of the Western world.
    When Argentina invaded the Falklands, she despatched a task force to the South Atlantic which drove the enemy off the islands in an incomparable military operation 8,000 miles from home.
    She successfully defied Arthur Scargill's nationwide and year-long miners' strike, which threatened to cripple Britain's entire economic base.
    Her triumphant achievement of power in May 1979 signalled the end of the era when trade union leaders trooped in and out of 10, Downing Street, haggling and bargaining with her Labour predecessors."

RIP
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Re: Margaret Thatcher passes away

RIP Maggie.

A divisive figure for sure; there will be plenty who want to dance on her grave. For me, she changed the political landscape of our country when it desperately needed it. I hope history will be kind to her, an icon as far as I'm concerned.

She's only been in hell a few hours and she's already closed 3 furnaces.

I for one am glad she is no longer breathing. She ruined the lives of so many in her time and most of the countries problems today can be traced back to her administration.

Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    I for one am glad she is no longer breathing. She ruined the lives of so many in her time and most of the countries problems today can be traced back to her administration.
    So her dieing resolves it? She was 87, good on her for lasting that long.

I grew up in the north of England when she came to power and she was utterly despised around my area.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post

It was a stoke of bad luck for her.

On a more serious note.

An old Pilger article about the Khmer Rouge.

http://www.newstatesman.com/node/137397

Of course the 3 day week, power cuts, union shackled shambles of 1970s Britain was actually halcyon days that we should all wish had never gone away...

Rumours are she already privatised hell.

Seriously? the Falklands? 55

Quote Originally Posted by PadMC View Post
    On a more serious note.

An old Pilger article about the Khmer Rouge.

http://www.newstatesman.com/node/137397
    Also good friends with Pinochet.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Rumours are she already privatised hell.
    Most of us here should buy shares then, afterall it's where we are likely to end up.

If you can't say anything nice........ eh I'm out.

Unless we're talking about the likes of Hitler or Mao, dancing on someone's grave strikes me as a bit uncouth. Politics has always been a dirty business, but it used to involve at least a modicum of decency and respect even in times of disagreement. Them days are apparently long gone. It's all name calling and nastiness these days.
    Get out there in the game, don't sit up in the bleachers. That is the philosophy of pimps and preachers.

Agreed.. I think some of the death parties hype is pretty low class..

I was brought up in a working class union supporting household.. At the time her name was mud.. But over time I have come to agree with many of the stances (not all) and think the country was dangerously close to losing an edge and being uncompetitive.. She changed that, via painful methods.

But whatever you think..being a leader is about painful choices.. About pursuing a vision that an electorate gave you a mandate to pursue.. You cannot argue she was, without question, a leader.. and she did what she did because she believed it to be right and for the general good.

I didn't like Thatcher's policies one bit... but hey that is politics!!

I do like reading John Pilger. He comes from my side of the political divide and I agree with a lot that he writes. But his article, whilst being correctly critical of Thatcher, leaves out, that to Australia's eternal shame, a left wing government, led by Gough Whitlam, recognised the Regime of Pol Pot, and did absolutely nothing about it.

This is lifted from an old an AGE article: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...712881421.html

"Attitude to communist totalitarian regimes: During Whitlam's prime ministership, Australia formally acknowledged the Soviet Union's sovereignty over Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania - a policy that was reversed by Malcolm Fraser's government. These three Baltic States were incorporated into the USSR as a consequence of the notorious Nazi Soviet Pact of 1939.

In a paper delivered at the Australian National University in September, 1978, Whitlam said he doubted "all the stories that appear in the newspapers about the treatment of people in Cambodia". In other words, three years after Pol Pot's killing fields began operations, Whitlam remained unconvinced that the communist Khmer Rouge regime was into mass murder - in the face of all evidence."

As I said, Gough comes from my side of Politics, but I think we needed to be reminded that it wasn't only Thatcher that abandoned the Cambodian People... We all did. To our shame

Utterly pathetic comment Kopite.

Like her or loathe her, u are actually glad she isn't breathing ???
    Pattaya Pattaya - Phuuying love u mak mak

Quote Originally Posted by dan boy View Post
    Utterly pathetic comment Kopite.

Like her or loathe her, u are actually glad she isn't breathing ???
    That's the way most libturds think though.

Nasty folks if you ask me!

Just like all the problems facing the U.S.A., are Bush's fault etc.

Progressive liberalism is a mental disorder, time to M.A.G.A.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast