Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: US police kill 107-year-old suspect in home shootout

US police kill 107-year-old suspect in home shootout

BBC News - US police kill 107-year-old suspect in home shootout

A 107-year-old man was killed in a shootout with police, after he held two people at gunpoint in the US state of Arkansas, authorities said.

Officers were called to a home in the city of Pine Bluff following reports that the man, named as Monroe Isadore, was threatening the pair with a gun.

They were brought to safety before police tried to arrest the suspect.

US media has reported that the violence began when Mr Isadore's daughter approached him about moving house.

Pauline Lewis, who lived with Mr Isadore and accompanied his daughter on Saturday when she asked him to consider moving to an apartment, said he became increasingly confused and irate and began brandishing a hand gun.

"He was very angry. He got hostile. He was gonna kill somebody," Pauline Lewis told KTHV.

Officials said they had tried to negotiate with Mr Isadore but were forced to call reinforcements after he shot at them through the closed bedroom door.

During the course of the negotiations a Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team was able to determine that he was armed with a handgun by inserting a camera into the room where he was holed up.

When the negotiations broke down, SWAT officers threw gas into the room and tried to open the door, police say.

But the centenarian is said to have fired at the officers as they entered the room. Officers returned fire, killing him, according to the reports confirmed by police.

No police were injured in the incident.

The coroner later confirmed Mr Isadore's age.

Pine Bluff is a city of about 50,000 people, located in the heart of a rich agricultural area in the Arkansas River Basin.

It has been repeatedly ranked by research and publishing company Morgan Quitno Press as one of the most dangerous metropolitan areas in the US and is included on the Forbes list of America's 10 most impoverished cities.

Figures released by the US Census Bureau in 2010 show that there were around 53,000 people over 100 years old in the country, and only 8% of them were older than 104.

They could have waited until he needed a nap .....
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    They could have waited until he needed a nap .....
    It's American police we are talking about here, shoot first ask questions later....
    (This will probably fire up Pablo)
    Last edited by andmel; 10th September 2013 at 00:28.

He threatened to kill 2 people and shot at the police... There are countless acts of police brutality in the US, but this one seems justified.

To a 107 year old bloke??? justified??
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    To a 107 year old bloke??? justified??
    The bullets he fired at the police were quite young...

Why should an old aged person somehow be treated differently that a 20-year old when shooting at the police.

Nonetheless, he know he was facing 'life' in prison anyway.
    slampay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDK View Post
    Why should an old aged person somehow be treated differently that a 20-year old when shooting at the police.

Nonetheless, he know he was facing 'life' in prison anyway.

Exactly, if someone is trying to commit 'suicide by cop', so shall it be, so shall it be written.

My problem with this type of thing is when the gun turns out to be a fake.

In this case, great grandpa, was out to kill.

Senile dementia maybe? some other illness? so on the same pretext that it is somehow just normal to shoot a guy of 107 years old, it must also be okay to kill a young child, lets say 3 years old, because their bullets are also 'young' or 'old' enough to kill??

I just kind of think age is relevant when dealing with these matters.
    Custard should be a colour...cos I could then paint over the mess I've just made!!!

Senile dementia maybe? some other illness?
    That opens up a whole new can of worms , according to some news reports the 107 year old guy only got his gun 1 month ago. A quote from one of his friends stated :

Isadore was legally blind and had poor hearing

So , should he have been allowed to own a gun in the first place ?

Quote Originally Posted by faultytowers View Post
    So , should he have been allowed to own a gun in the first place ?
    Course he should. He would need something to protect himself while driving around, won't he? He's 107
    LivinLOS, soupdragon and kuhio like this.
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Quote Originally Posted by andmel View Post
    It's American police we are talking about here, shoot first ask questions later....
    (This will probably fire up Pablo)
    One more example of the shoot first ask questions later attitude in the American police.

Former FAMU player Jonathan Ferrell killed by Charlotte police - CNN.com

Quote Originally Posted by andmel View Post
    One more example of the shoot first ask questions later attitude in the American police.
    Good isn't it?
    If you are stupid enough to not obey what a police officer tells you in a situation and present as a threat then Darwin's law should apply.
    You are too stupid to live and breed.

Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post
    Good isn't it?
    If you are stupid enough to not obey what a police officer tells you in a situation and present as a threat then Darwin's law should apply.
    the police officer was charged, so obviously it was excessive

the guy just got into an accident and was running up to them for help
    a police officer should be trained to recognize the situation

Good isn't it?
    He had just been in a serious traffic accident, maybe he was not with his right mind.

If three police officers can not handle an unarmed person then it might be time to find another job.

OK, its 2.30am in the morning, the guy has crashed his car, he aggressively hammers on a door of a isolated house and scares the heck out of a lone woman, he rushes the police, gets tasered and still rushes at the police??
    Ohhh, the poor boy, he might not have been in his right mind.
    Too damn right he wasn't in his right mind, probably that's why he smashed his car, drugs or alcohol.
    Glad you care, you can volunteer to pay for the damage and pick up the costs of these idiots, cause I don't want to.

OK, its 2.30am in the morning, the guy has crashed his car, he aggressively hammers on a door of a isolated house and scares the heck out of a lone woman, he rushes the police, gets tasered and still rushes at the police??
    Ohhh, the poor boy, he might not have been in his right mind.
    Too damn right he wasn't in his right mind, probably that's why he smashed his car, drugs or alcohol.
    Glad you care, you can volunteer to pay for the damage and pick up the costs of these idiots, cause I don't want to.
    So he deserves to be shot then??

So he deserves to be shot then??
    If the person he is confronting, be it a police officer or civilian, believes their life is in danger then they are entitled to defend themself by shooting him.
    I have no problem with that.

If the person he is confronting, be it a police officer or civilian, believes their life is in danger then they are entitled to defend themself by shooting him.
    I have no problem with that.
    So 3 armed police officers (they had tasers) were confronted by a single unarmed man and he deserves to be shot???

and ANOTHER 12 dead........

i want to punch every politician in the nuts when they comment on these mass murders but then vote against any sort of gun reform

but hey, let's keep voting out politicians who vote for the smallest steps to stop this madness

seriously Obama or any other president shouldn't even comment anymore on them.........look like morons

So 3 armed police officers (they had tasers) were confronted by a single unarmed man and he deserves to be shot???
    I don't expect police officers to risk injury or death to contain a person who constitutes a danger to them or the public.
    Do you?

I think what you are really asking is do I care if this guy got shot?
    The answer is an emphatic no.
    He created his own demise.
    At anytime he had the option of behaving like a civilsed human being and he would still be alive.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast