Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: hotel bars

  1. #1
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,632

    hotel bars

    is it just me or does anyone else love hotel bars?


    but sort of has to be in a high end hotel

    just something about them. everyone on different paths of travel.

    i remember vividly staying at the Westin on Sukhumvit my 1st visit to Thailand
    got in a few hours before. a bit overwhelmed by Bangkok
    took a shower and stopped at the hotel bar to sort of get my bearings
    i remember this black American lady was singing along to a piano
    man, that is one good memory

    i don't know, i just like the easy setting of those type of bars for a few drinks before heading out into the night or while i am waiting for wifey to get ready
    Proof of a Scumbag

    I'm sorry, but do you have me confused with one of paulie's siblings?

    my truthful opinions on LGBT matters. Sorry about your son

  2. #2
    Senior Member kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    367

    Re: hotel bars

    I like Summer Breeze Hotel, Patong, watching all the pretty girls in high heels going to work :P

    Sorry Paul... couldn't help myself.

    But yes, I like high bars too. I look forward to a least one drink at Banyan Tree next BKK visit ... no idea what the prices are like... anyone?
    Cheers, Rob.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Coolhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    187

    Re: hotel bars

    I guess I like my bars to be a bit more nitty-gritty, so out of preference would rather leave the hotel and find somewhere truly local. Having said that BATS at the Shangri-La and CJs at the Mulia Hotel in Jakarta have provided some great times

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    536

    Re: hotel bars

    I like nice hotel bars. The bar at Shangrila KL is nice, i go there often.

    Paul, the one at the hotel you stayed in KL was nice also, forgot the name.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,238

    Re: hotel bars

    Hotel bars generally are not for me, I would rather be in amongst the hustle of the city. Bangkok only feels like Bangkok when we arrive in Big Dogs or Gullivers.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,598

    Re: hotel bars

    Prefer bars outside hotels, more lively and a lot cheaper.
    I stay in the hotel bars if there are no other watering places around.
    Must say if nothing around the Hilton hotel bars all over the world will have h**kers ready for extra action.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    44

    Re: hotel bars

    as long as there is cold beer any bar will do for me 555

  8. #8
    Senior Member Waharoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,207

    Re: hotel bars

    Depends on your mood doesn't it?

    If you have just arrived after a long journey and just need to chill for a bit... then a nice, classy hotel bar is just the ticket.

    If you are feeling hyped... then a raucous seedy bar can be just the tonic...

    Thank someone, there is a bar for all moods... :P
    Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people.

  9. #9
    Senior Member MrDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,575

    Re: hotel bars

    They have rarely done anything for me other than certain conventions where they can be a gathering point for colleagues and associates.

    I always have access to the executive lounges at Hilton and Hyatt and certainly go there for the free snacks and wine, but it is not a hangout as far as I see them.
    They are convenient for conducting series of job interviews.

  10. #10
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,632

    Re: hotel bars

    but as i said
    i like the hotel bars for a few drinks BEFORE i head out into the night


    as for executive lounges, they always feel like a room with food in them......not a bar
    Proof of a Scumbag

    I'm sorry, but do you have me confused with one of paulie's siblings?

    my truthful opinions on LGBT matters. Sorry about your son

  11. #11
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,632

    Re: hotel bars

    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    I like nice hotel bars. The bar at Shangrila KL is nice, i go there often.

    Paul, the one at the hotel you stayed in KL was nice also, forgot the name.
    that was one of the coolest bars i have ever been to. the bar atop Traders Hotel

    actually, in North America........some of the more happening bars/clubs are in hotels now
    especially in NYC
    a lot of them now have great rooftop bars

    but i was more talking about the quiet lobby hotel bar
    JW Marriott in BKK has a great lobby bar also
    Proof of a Scumbag

    I'm sorry, but do you have me confused with one of paulie's siblings?

    my truthful opinions on LGBT matters. Sorry about your son

  12. #12
    Senior Member Robaht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    601

    Re: hotel bars

    Completely agree, love hotel bars! I like the lounges at airports too, might be snobby, but hey, why not? Also good bars in BKK like Oskar, and Hyde and seek, and many others where the bar is the focus and they have great selection of spirits!

  13. #13
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,632

    Re: hotel bars

    Quote Originally Posted by Robaht View Post
    Completely agree, love hotel bars! I like the lounges at airports too, might be snobby, but hey, why not? Also good bars in BKK like Oskar, and Hyde and seek, and many others where the bar is the focus and they have great selection of spirits!
    you bring up a great point
    if you sit at the bar at some of these proper steakhouses in the states, a lot of times you have a professional bartender
    when we go down to Seattle, we always choose to eat at the bar at The Capital Grille instead of a table
    Proof of a Scumbag

    I'm sorry, but do you have me confused with one of paulie's siblings?

    my truthful opinions on LGBT matters. Sorry about your son

  14. #14
    Senior Member Robaht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    601

    Re: hotel bars

    Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robaht View Post
    Completely agree, love hotel bars! I like the lounges at airports too, might be snobby, but hey, why not? Also good bars in BKK like Oskar, and Hyde and seek, and many others where the bar is the focus and they have great selection of spirits!
    you bring up a great point
    if you sit at the bar at some of these proper steakhouses in the states, a lot of times you have a professional bartender
    when we go down to Seattle, we always choose to eat at the bar at The Capital Grille instead of a table
    Yes, the Hyde and Seek near JW Marriott in BKK is just entertaining to watch them make cocktails, and they used to have a bartender chick who was quite the looker!

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    536
    Paul, Grand Hyatt next to KLCC has a bar on the 38th Floor, amazing views of KL and the bar is not really expensive. Join me next time when you are in KL.

  16. #16
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,632
    actually living in downtown Vancouver there are tons of hotels
    so even at home, i like to have a few relaxing drinks at a hotel bar before going out

    actually we finish work at 1pm and our office right across from Hotel Vancouver
    they still do "tea" and many pretty( and likely rich) Asian girls go for tea

  17. #17
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Robaht View Post
    Yes, the Hyde and Seek near JW Marriott in BKK is just entertaining to watch them make cocktails, and they used to have a bartender chick who was quite the looker!
    we were at a bar/restaurant last summer
    Ao ordered one of their cocktails and loved it
    we mentioned it to the bartender just to say she loved it
    10 minutes later the bartender came up and gave her a list on how to make it
    thought that was cool!

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Frithco
    Posts
    3,282
    Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    is it just me or does anyone else love hotel bars?


    but sort of has to be in a high end hotel

    just something about them. everyone on different paths of travel.

    i remember vividly staying at the Westin on Sukhumvit my 1st visit to Thailand
    got in a few hours before. a bit overwhelmed by Bangkok
    took a shower and stopped at the hotel bar to sort of get my bearings
    i remember this black American lady was singing along to a piano
    man, that is one good memory

    i don't know, i just like the easy setting of those type of bars for a few drinks before heading out into the night or while i am waiting for wifey to get ready
    Do h00kers still frequent busy hotel bars?

  19. #19
    Senior Member marc26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    10,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    Do h00kers still frequent busy hotel bars?
    apparently quite a few hookers frequent popular bars in Vancouver, I am told
    And many that i go to, but I am usually with Ao so maybe don't take notice
    But my friends have told
    one bar in particular is just a very popular steakhouse/bar.......i was very surprised

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Frithco
    Posts
    3,282
    Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    apparently quite a few hookers frequent popular bars in Vancouver, I am told
    And many that i go to, but I am usually with Ao so maybe don't take notice
    But my friends have told
    one bar in particular is just a very popular steakhouse/bar.......i was very surprised
    The ones in hotel bars aren't walking around in floss size jean shorts. 55 They tend to be more discreet wearing business/casual atire. Go in a one sometime and act lonely. See if one approaches you..55

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •