Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Business Class!

Business Class!

Just had my first taste of business class, and damn do I feel spoiled 555!

My company paid me to visit HQ for the week otherwise I'd never be able to afford it (was something crazy like 3500 for SIN<->LHR).

Man I felt like royalty or something! Private check-in counter, lounge access, no queuing at the gate (even got a few "so much for the queue" comments), priority boarding, and then on to a damn fine seat that fully reclined to horizontal. Champagne, steak for dinner, the works! I usually struggle to sleep in cattle class but here I was out for a good 8 hrs before waking up to the smell of breakfast.

I think I've been spoiled now and I'm dreading the same flight again in December on my dime with the regular folk.

I know some people on here fly business class sometimes, so since I've had a taste now are there any tips for getting it cheaper?

I've never flown business.

I don't graze during flights and the only entertainment I need is what I bring with me. But the comfy chairs and free flowing booze alone will make me happy as a Larry to be there.
    ןooʇsɹɐq ʎɯ uo ʞɔɐq eɯ ʇnd esɐeןd sıɥʇ pɐeɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Yes, you are 100% correct: HUGE difference. Just a great way to travel, and for me especially since I am so tall. For those that travel enough, they have enough miles that they can get the upgrade. I've done that a few times, but don't go back to the US enough to accumulate any now. I won't pay the difference, almost $4000, for business class, but would pay a bit over for a chance to upgrade.

Quick story?

Years ago me and some friends where going to the final four in Minnesota. (It's the major college basketball tourney). One of my buddy's had done a couple of all nighters and was a complete mess, he was near death! 55

We (I) approached the check in at the Sacto airport and I explained to the lady at the counter that.." Hi, my friends and I are headed to the Final Four, its my best friends last wish.."

I pointed him out, he was already a white dude, but at this point, he was a zombie. With his hat on back words!55

"Any chance we could have him fly first class? It will be his first and only..."

Hold on she said... And then...."ok! I've got a boarding for first class....good luck..."

Snicker, oh yeah...555

So, I enjoyed the first class as my friends got cut off because my 'last chance' buddy was demanding drinks and puking at the same time...

Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    Just had my first taste of business class, and damn do I feel spoiled 555!
    Its the crack cocaine of travel.. One hit and you want more..

Been upgraded to first from cattle once.. Stylin..

You need to fly regular to get cheap business class.............

Stick to the one airline and join the loyalty program. If you fly enough you will get alot of benefits i.e dedicated check in, more baggage allowance, lounge access, free upgrades can be fairly regular especially when travelling alone. Upgrades using your miles/points, free flights uses your miles/points

Getting cheap business class otherwise isn't easy but doable to get flights for 1800-2000 with some airlines

I fly regular BKK-LHR return with EVA (now Star Alliance) average price is as above. All the benefits I outlined I get and free upgrades on a regular basis

Due to the nature of my work over the last 20 years but not wanting to sound ungrateful, i find the whole business/first class, airports, Star Alliance lounges, false OTT cabin crew etc etc quite fcuking tedious to be honest!!! 555555

However for the folk used to flying cattle and to have they're first business encounter must be quite awe inspiring in comparison...

If I can get a big chair the rest doesnt bother me.. It certainly doesnt tempt me to spend 2 or 3 times for biz and 4 - 6 for first.

I always carry a priority pass card for lounges and free booze.. I tend not to drink heavily when flying (do the hour before) and dose a sedative before sitting down for long haul. A few times I had long haul heavy drinking hangovers, the dehydration and jetlag all comes together.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    If I can get a big chair the rest doesnt bother me.. It certainly doesnt tempt me to spend 2 or 3 times for biz and 4 - 6 for first.

I always carry a priority pass card for lounges and free booze.. I tend not to drink heavily when flying (do the hour before) and dose a sedative before sitting down for long haul. A few times I had long haul heavy drinking hangovers, the dehydration and jetlag all comes together.
    You fly often enough you quickly learn to avoid alcohol, dehydration and reduced oxygen is the enemy on long haul flights

I like a nice drink on my long haul flights. Especially at the bar on the Emirates A380. It's is a great way to pass the time.
    Pattaya Pattaya - Phuuying love u mak mak

Quote Originally Posted by Masterwoodsman View Post
    Due to the nature of my work over the last 20 years but not wanting to sound ungrateful, i find the whole business/first class, airports, Star Alliance lounges, false OTT cabin crew etc etc quite fcuking tedious to be honest!!! 555555

However for the folk used to flying cattle and to have they're first business encounter must be quite awe inspiring in comparison...
    one of the Cathay girls tucked me in before........i didn't find it tedious at all 555

Look on Kayak.co.uk , find the Airlines that fly your prefered route , sign up to their emailing list , so any sales etc you will know about straight away - I am a member of the loyalty programs with Etihad, BA, EVA and Thai ( I prefer the non stop flights ) , although I would agree with G , if you can stick to one you will be better off in the long run

Also if there isn't a sale it's best to book as far in advance as poss, my next trip with EVA is costing 1,730 and the trip after that with BA is costing 1,315 ( I was able to book premium and upgrade with miles , rare to find those seats in this route )

The best service I have encountered so far was Etihad ( one stopover ) less than 1,700 included a chauffeur service to and from the Airport ( less than 100 miles distance ) and to/from Bangkok if required . After the priority checkin and fast track security , when you went to the lounge you were seated in the restaurant area and handed a menu all complimentary , whilst waiting for the food someone came from the Spa area to book me in for a free massage. First on the plane and sipping Champagne , I was asked what I would like to drink once we had taken off and handed a menu and asked what time I would prefer to eat... Similar treatment during the stopover

flying Business started when I gave up smoking , it was my treat with the money I had saved , I used to smoke about two packs a day , so even with a couple of Business flights , I'm still ahead .....
    'If it floats, flies or fcuks , it's cheaper to rent"

Done it the once when I flew with work, upgrade with points. Couldn't justify the money, but upgrade with points or points only it well worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by marc26 View Post
    one of the Cathay girls tucked me in before........i didn't find it tedious at all 555
    I fly SQ 90% of the time and you get to get familiar with some of the cabin crew. It does tempt me when just before take off they come up to you and say " Mr Simon, If there's anything i can do to make your flight more enjoyable, please don't hesitate to ask"

well you can imagine the filthy thoughts of mile high debauchery running through my veins but yet to spill out my mouth.......no balls!!! 555555

I'm a gold member (shhh!) w/ Star Alliance. Working in the ME & flying "home" (wherever that is) multiple times per year, the miles add up quick. I've upgraded using miles several times. That said, I HATE that Star Alliance now only allows upgrades for one leg, not a whole trip. As such, when I fly to the states from here I'll upgrade the Tokyo to Wash DC leg, which is 14+ straight hours. It's nice to be able to sleep 8 or 9 of those hours away because your seat is comfortable and lays all the way flat. For me, the free booze, steak dinner, real silverware... it's all just a bonus. It's that damn sleep I'm after.

If I fly cattle class, I cant/dont sleep. That tends to really take it out of you on a 25 hour trip.

Definitely a different world. As Sef said though, probably not worth 4x the price regularly, but if using miles and paying the fee (last I heard it was $350) then it's definitely the way to go for a long flight.

Funny, I remember once thinking that Florida to LA was a long flight...

i hardly fly long haul anymore...just no real interest in being in the west...but if I did I would be using points to fly biz to lie down and get some sleep....I had a long career of others or my own biz paying when flying from OZ to Europe and the USA several times a year...too hard to go back now

as for short haul...happy on the local LCC's...no real point paying biz for 1-3 hour hops

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonone View Post
    as for short haul...happy on the local LCC's...no real point paying biz for 1-3 hour hops
    Yeah same, around SEA I have no issues flying budget airlines.

My SIN<->LHR went via Helsinki, and although I was also business class HEL->LHR it's more or less just extra legroom on those small airbuses - nothing special, and I'd have happily done that leg economy. The 12hr+ flight though I'm damn glad I got business class!

I don't travel west enough though to clock up miles to upgrade with, but sounds like a good idea if you do! I can still remember my first two trips to HKT (via BKK) with Thai Airways, and how cramped I felt (and that I couldn't sleep) - it was painful almost, but I was happy counting down the hours until I landed in paradise :P

Flown first class and business class on 12 hour flights (every where from New Zealand seems to be 12 hours) and yes it is nice but not worth 30% extra let alone the 400% and more.

Happy with cattle class and always try to get a flight leaving late at night so you have trouble staying awake for the first meal and then sleep until they wake you.

I've done business with Etihad a couple of times and really enjoyed it but the price does seem to have gone up quite a bit as I can't find a return trip for anything like the €1800 I spent in 2011. However the perks have continued thanks to frequent flyer miles as you get double the miles for going business with Etihad so I've rose through the ranks and now get lounge access and fast track which is great even when flying economy and thanks to the modern miracle of sleeping pills I must admit to being a bit reluctant to upgrade to business again even though I do find myself looking quite a bit always trying to find that elusive bargain.

Paying at least double the price for a journey? Each to their own but IMHO it's a complete waste of money. I'd prefer to spend the extra grand (euro) on more sensible things i.e. partying, drinking or buying a new gadget or camera etc. Don't get me wrong I aint no cheap charlie but when it comes to air travel, I just wanna be taken to my destination safely, efficiently with the least amount of fuss.
    soupdragon likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast