Thread: Explosion in Texas..

Explosion in Texas..

In the aftermath of the Boston horrors, a massive explosion has occurred at a fertlizer plant in the town of West, Texas (near Waco). This week is the 20th anniversary of the deadly seige in Waco. There are at least 10 other buildings are on fire, including the town middle school, and a large swath of the town was “leveled” in the explosion. The explosion occurred around 7:50pm local time. A fireball of nearly 100 feet high has been reported along with a massive power outage. The images and scale of this explosion are incredible and reports are coming in people still trapped. The explosion could be heard from 100 miles away in Dallas. The explosion followed the outbreak of a fire at the plant - and occurred as firefighters were working on the blaze.

UPDATE: Entire town (within a mile radius) to be evacuated - toxic fumes may be spreading

UPDATE: Hospital told to anticipate 100 people with injuries, Hospital CEO tells CNN

UPDATE: Up To 70 Dead, 38 seriously injured included blast injuries, orthopedic injuries, large wounds and a lot of lacerations and cuts.

UPDATE: *AS MANY AS 80 HOMES DESTROYED IN TEXAS FERTILIZER BLAST: CNN

CNN Reports from Dr. George Smith, the emergency management system director of the city:

Fire officials fear that the number of casualties could rise as high as 60 to 70 dead,

"That's a really rough number, I'm getting that figure from firefighters, we don't know yet," he said.

"There are lots of houses that are leveled within a two-block radius," Smith said. "A lot of other homes are damaged as well outside that radius."

"It was an apartment complex that was devastated, and the nursing home. The fire was close to a residential area,"
    And from the Mayor:

"There's a lot of people who won't be here
    tomorrow"

"Blast 'took out' a five-block radius"
    Stunning clip of the explosion (at around 25 seconds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ROrpKx3aIjA

Re: Explosion in Texas..

http://rt.com/usa/texas-fertilizer-plant-explosion-036/

Just holy crap.. That video above..

K2

Suppose thye conspiracy theorists will have another nugget to chew on ... "This week is the 20th anniversary of the deadly seige in Waco."

Flixborough in 1974 was the first disaster I can remeber as a kid ... chemical plants and residentail areas dont mix. Sad that likely many will have lost their lives in this one.
    Its My Life .....!

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Wow like a scene from a computer game or movie...scary !!

WOW!

That is horrific!

We had a (rocket fuel) factory blow up in Henderson-Nevada in 1988. It was a terrible tragedy, with three or four deaths and hundreds injured, if I recall correctly. I think the memory of the "Pepcon" blast will pale in comparison to this new one.

(I was playing golf the afternoon of the Pepcon blast, and was around 7 miles from the plant. The percussion from the blast knocked down palm trees on the golf course, and blew out windows in the area, and beyond)

Pepcon Blast:

Progressive liberalism is a mental disorder, time to M.A.G.A.

This is not the first one in Texas. Learned it in navigation school. Worst industrial accident in the States was 66 years ago, nearly day on day. 16 April 1947.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_City_Disaster

I was in Holland the time the enschade firework factory went up.. Crazy..

Terrible accident but...

This is what I mean about nitrate based explosives (from the Boston thread).

Working in the O&G industry a few years back, we were shown an example of of a gas leak (think it was LNG) at a refinery. Two survivors were in a idling car, the only reason they survived is because they put 2 and 2 together when the engine started racing and ran for it.

This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by mjwx View Post
    Terrible accident but...

Working in the O&G industry a few years back, we were shown an example of of a gas leak (think it was LNG) at a refinery. Two survivors were in a idling car, the only reason they survived is because they put 2 and 2 together when the engine started racing and ran for it.
    LNG is not a gas, it is a liquid that doesn't burn or explode. Transported through cryogenic lines at a temp < -150°C. Was involved with the transport of it since 1984 when sailing on a LNG carier between Arzew (Algeria) and Montoir de Bretagne in France.
    What burns is the boil off when the temperature rises above its boiling point of -153°. But then we have methane.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Terrible accident but...

LNG is not a gas, it is a liquid that doesn't burn or explode. Transported through cryogenic lines at a temp < -150°C. Was involved with the transport of it since 1984 when sailing on a LNG carier between Arzew (Algeria) and Montoir de Bretagne in France.
    What burns is the boil off when the temperature rises above its boiling point of -153°. But then we have methane.
    Are many things not also solids liquids and gases depending on temp ???

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Terrible accident but...

Are many things not also solids liquids and gases depending on temp ???
    Most.
    Gasses under pressure or under boiling point become liquid, or liquids above boiling point become gas.
    There is not one liquid that burns, the gasses can burn.
    But LNG means Liquified Natural Gas, it is natural gas (mostly methane) at a temperature of -153° (boiling point) in liquid condition and does not burn. The gas burns/explodes when ignited and in a concentration within its explosion limits (correct mix of gas and oxygen).

Just heard a saddening comment from one of the residents in the small town, a reporter commenting that she would probably know many of the 100+ killed in the blast, she corrected the reporter saying she would know every single one of them!

But LNG means Liquified Natural Gas, it is natural gas (mostly methane) at a temperature of -153° (boiling point) in liquid condition and does not burn. The gas burns/explodes when ignited and in a concentration within its explosion limits (correct mix of gas and oxygen).
    Which is what you get in the combustion chamber of an ICE, air, fuel and heat.

This is why LNG/CNG is so commonly used as an alternate fuel on petrol driven cars.

They had a gassified fuel entering into the combustion chamber with the outside air, which of course caused the engine to increase RPM (race).

The refinery this accident was at may not have been LNG, I'm drawing from memory of a refinery site induction done many years ago (the refinery I was at was LNG however).
    This post is known by the state of California to potentially contain more than the maximum daily allowance of awesome.

Which is what you get in the combustion chamber of an ICE, air, fuel and heat.

This is why LNG/CNG is so commonly used as an alternate fuel on petrol driven cars.

They had a gassified fuel entering into the combustion chamber with the outside air, which of course caused the engine to increase RPM (race).

The refinery this accident was at may not have been LNG, I'm drawing from memory of a refinery site induction done many years ago (the refinery I was at was LNG however).
    Most commonly used alternate fuel on petrol petrol driven cars is LPG, check those taxis in Thailand with a tank in the baggage compartment. LNG is only quite recently used for car engines, as it is stored at -163° (sory, I wrote 153 before).
    LPG or Liquified Petrol Gas is liquid at around -50° and is easier to compress due to being liquid at a higher temperature.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquefied_natural_gas
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquefied_natural_gas