Thread: AP twitter feed hack

AP twitter feed hack

So the ap twitter account says bombs at the white house.. And the algo bots rush to spike down s&p futures in a total lack of liquidity..

Kinda mad.. Wonder if they will trace who profited..

Damn, those with stop losses are gonna be pisssssed.

K2
    Thought it was a bad tick when opened the charts this morning ....

So now we have this atmosphere where a tweet from a hacked account can temporarily wipe out half a trillion dollars of wealth in minutes.
    Business Insider.

.... crazy! Flash Crash 2013!
    Its My Life .....!

I love this type of thing. I don't deal or know anything about markets etc otherwise I might not like it, but from a technical point of view it's pretty amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    I love this type of thing. I don't deal or know anything about markets etc otherwise I might not like it, but from a technical point of view it's pretty amazing.

Always just makes me wonder how you can inject a false news report into the PR and news flow streams.. Shows how it only has to work for a split second and billions are won / lost..

But thats probably just me

It's a double-edged sword I guess - you write a bot to scan for this type of stuff and it could make you lots of money if something did happen, but when it's a false report you're screwed. Do you wait for other news sources to weight the possibility of it being true? (I bet a few are now) But in doing that you are possibly delaying action, losing potential money you could have made if you trusted it.

It screams laziness from my point of view (I doubt a human would have made such a quick reaction), but that's irrelevant really because if the majority do it, it still affects you (if I understand stop losses).

Twitter is notorious for being hacked, putting faith in reports as severe as that is pretty silly. The problem is people then have news bots that watch twitter and repeat the message for various purposes (SEO etc), and lazy reporters will be subscribed to it and also write about it - so the issue spreads quickly and "looks" like a real story until, as a human, you asses the probability (look at other independent sources etc), but by then it's too late.

The whole making money on markets going down makes me head spin. Maybe I should learn more about it, seems kinda fun being on the edge like that 555.

Yep like all those stupid share this and an angel will bless you stories on Facebook, don't ever bother trying to substantiate a story, I actually signed up for a Twitter account and deleted it after a couple of days, it's just an overload.