Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: More on governmental restrictions and freedoms lost...

More on governmental restrictions and freedoms lost...

I had a recent experience (this week), that has me absolutely fuming over what the government has been able to impose upon it's citizenry!

As my blood pressure was ratcheting up while reading the "Boston explosion" thread (which morphed into the government's right to confiscate personal property etc.), I was reminded of this recent personal infringement! It's not really a "recent" infringement, as it's been going on for years now, but it's one that's easily overlooked and forgotten!

I've been procrastinating on doing a fix-up to my shower, in the Master bath. The pull and twist mixing valve (on and off handle) has been deteriorating and becoming tighter and more difficult to move and adjust. As well, the shower head itself has become funky and shooting at odd angles and leaking slightly...despite repeated cleanings.

Finally, a couple of days ago, I went to work on it. Turned off the water supply to the bathroom, disassembled and removed the faulty (old) water mixing valve cartridge, then took it to the hardware store for replacement. No problem, a popular model and replaced for $11 USD. Then I took a long while searching and shopping for a new shower head.

Since I was doing the repair, I was looking for a luxurious shower head that would shoot out multiple jets of soothing hot water (even pulsating), to ease the jangled nerves at the days end. I settled on a nice looking model that priced out at $65 USD. Hey, but it's worth it right? Nothing like a soothing, relaxing shower...which is what I was looking forward to.

Got it all home, replaced the valve cartridge and shower head, then tested. The on/off and mixing valve was smooth and perfect. But the shower head was a real disappointment! It was dribbling water out like a weak prostate patient, and there were no "powerful" jets of water, as advertised! It seemed that somewhere along the line, my water pressure had gone away!

I took it off again and returned to the hardware store, to complain and seek some remedy. After a brief discussion with the "expert" at Ace Hardware, I was astounded to hear about a government mandate that actually limits shower head output to 2.5 gpm? (Has been for several years) YGTBSM???...they actually passed a federal law governing the manufacture of shower heads, to appease some "green" fcuking movement!

http://mises.org/daily/2007

I mean, "give me a break"! I pay for the water, I pay for the water heater, it seems that I should be able to enjoy a fcuking shower FFS! This is not some local restriction placed by a community with limited water resources...it's a federal law, backed up by the Department of Energy!

With some friendly tips from the Ace Hardware man, I selected another model of showerhead. One that had an accessible "flow restrictor" that can be illegally removed, to get the pressure and flow you want. The government has even clamped down on the manufacture of such, but there are still some "old" ones left on the market. (I hope I'm not a victim of a "lawful search" and seizure, because of this)

UNFCUKING BELIEVABLE!!!!!!!

Rant over. 5555

But the government is smarter than you and they have determined you don't neeeeeed more than 2.5 gpm to get yourself clean Pablo. Black vans are en route. 55

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    I just had a long hot shower, I feel better now.
    555 how was the water pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by tnlawyer View Post
    555 how was the water pressure?
    I'm going to take the 5th on that one.

I've said too much already. 555

I'm going to take the 5th on that one.

I've said too much already. 555
    Take it while you can. The 5th may be next on the hit list 55

Nanny State gone crazy...

Where as in Thailand it is, at Nana in a state, gone crazy.

Let me add to the madness..

Government Website Encourages New Immigrants To Apply For Welfare Benefits | Market Daily News

A website run by the federal government (“WelcomeToUSA.gov“) encourages new immigrants to the United States to apply for welfare benefits. This website is run by the Department of Homeland Security and it says that it “is the U.S. Government’s official web portal for new immigrants.” So your tax dollars were used to build and maintain a website that teaches immigrants how to come into this country and sponge a living off of federal welfare programs paid for by your tax dollars. What in the world is happening to us? Yes, we will always need some legal immigration. We are a nation of immigrants and immigration has been very good to this country. But at a time when there are millions upon millions of American citizens out of work and at a time when we are absolutely drowning in debt, do we really need to encourage millions more immigrants to come over and take advantage of our overloaded social welfare programs? WelcomeToUSA.gov actually encourages new immigrants to apply for food stamps, Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, Supplemental Security Income and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families. Of course not all immigrants are eligible for all of those programs, but if an immigrant can get over to the U.S. and just get signed up for a couple of programs they can enjoy a higher standard of living doing nothing here than they can working at a low paying job back home. We have created a perverse system of incentives that makes it very attractive to people all over the world to do whatever they can to hitch a ride on “the gravy train” and take advantage of all of the benefits that they possibly can. And once immigrants get on welfare, many of them never leave. For example, one study discovered that 43 percent of all immigrants who have been in the United States for at least 20 years were still on welfare. We can’t even take care of our own citizens, and yet more immigrants hop on to the safety net every single day. At some point the safety net is going to break and then we won’t even be able to take care of the struggling Americans that really need it.
    Or how about..

In Florida, a food-stamp recruiter deals with wrenching choices - The Washington Post

FORT PIERCE, Fla. — A good recruiter needs to be liked, so Dillie Nerios filled gift bags with dog toys for the dog people and cat food for the cat people. She packed crates of cookies, croissants, vegetables and fresh fruit. She curled her hair and painted her nails fluorescent pink. “A happy, it’s-all-good look,” she said, checking her reflection in the rearview mirror. Then she drove along the Florida coast to sign people up for food stamps.

Her destination on a recent morning was a 55-and-over community in central Florida, where single-wide trailers surround a parched golf course. On the drive, Nerios, 56, reviewed techniques she had learned for connecting with some of Florida’s most desperate senior citizens during two years on the job. Touch a shoulder. Hold eye contact. Listen for as long as it takes. “Some seniors haven’t had anyone to talk to in some time,” one of the state-issued training manuals reads. “Make each person feel like the only one who matters.”

In fact, it is Nerios’s job to enroll at least 150 seniors for food stamps each month, a quota she usually exceeds. Alleviate hunger, lessen poverty: These are the primary goals of her work. But the job also has a second and more controversial purpose for cash-strapped Florida, where increasing food-stamp enrollment has become a means of economic growth, bringing almost $6 billion each year into the state. The money helps to sustain communities, grocery stores and food producers. It also adds to rising federal entitlement spending and the U.S. debt.
    A food stamp recruiter !!! Thats an actual job..

After a brief discussion with the "expert" at Ace Hardware, I was astounded to hear about a government mandate that actually limits shower head output to 2.5 gpm? (Has been for several years)
    Wasn't this an episode of Seinfeld?

Big domestic water wasters are lawns and backyard pools in Oz and we do have water restrictions (I cant use my hose in my driveway to wash my car, but I can go down the road to one of those self service places and use their high pressure systems for A$10 and watch people glare at me menacingly as I chamois dry it in the wash bay)

Quote Originally Posted by mjwx View Post
    Wasn't this an episode of Seinfeld?
    I've been told that it was, though I didn't see it.

It was news to me and kinda' set me back a little. 555

Of course, we've all been aware (in the States) of the insanity of regulations involving the EPA and OSHA. My rich uncle , who owned a large cattle ranch, was prohibited from drilling a water well (on his own land), because the EPA determined that a grouse trail was found within 100m of the site...or some such malarkey! But this "shower" one by the DOE, seemed way to personal to me!

I've been told that it was, though I didn't see it.

It was news to me and kinda' set me back a little. 555

Of course, we've all been aware (in the States) of the insanity of regulations involving the EPA and OSHA. My rich uncle , who owned a large cattle ranch, was prohibited from drilling a water well (on his own land), because the EPA determined that a grouse trail was found within 100m of the site...or some such malarkey! But this "shower" one by the DOE, seemed way to personal to me!
    On the flip side.. Is the water supplied at true cost or is there some way in which government activity subsidizes the water process there..

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    On the flip side.. Is the water supplied at true cost or is there some way in which government activity subsidizes the water process there..
    Ahhhhh, the double edge sword of government "assist"!

I'm sure that the government (fed's) have their fingers in the pie.

And that (of course) means that "true cost" is long gone...and the personal cost is that we've become subservient to their whims!
    Last edited by Pablo; 25th April 2013 at 10:54.

^^^^

Nothing new for my locale though, as nearly 70% of the area of Nevada is "Federal Land"!

^^^^

Nothing new for my locale though, as nearly 70% of the area of Nevada is "Federal Land"!
    Including the parts that don't exist at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite911 View Post
    If they don't exist does that mean they don't get water bills ???

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    Do you see any reason that our secret reptilian overlords should be paying the water bill?

55555, now that's funny!

Quote Originally Posted by soupdragon View Post
    Put it this way... Its a fucker trying to get the zip code for the bill..

We cannot confirm or deny the existance of water bills.

Quote Originally Posted by LivinLOS View Post
    Put it this way... Its a fucker trying to get the zip code for the bill..
    Doh, Area code 51 555

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast