Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another 50% price rise

Another 50% price rise

I just went down to Phuket for a few days to buy some motorbikes. Got one Honda Icon (15K) and one Yamaha Fino (16K). So far all good. Then we went to the post office to send the bikes to Ranong. Last year we payed 1050 Baht a bike, this year they put the price up to1450 Baht.
    Not that I care that much about the 400 Baht extra, but it makes me wonder how they justify their prices......

You are white....55

My Mrs isn't.......5555 She would like to be tho...

Noggie maths?
    I get 38%
    55555!

Did you wrap them, load them on and off the truck yourself.?
    I think this is a very cheap transport service for motorbikes.
    Last edited by Evilbaz; 26th April 2013 at 12:10.

Just making it easy..55, The point is that it's loads of stuff that I find way more expensive than before.........It's not inflation. But they still seem to get away with it.

That seems an awful lot for a relatively short distance, to Ranong.

I'm not really arguing over the price, it's just the "out of nowhere" price rise that annoy me.......

Smile

It is hard to find any bargains on anything anymore. Still the best value for the money: a good Thai massage.

but to be hones,t paying 1050baht to have a bike shipped is an absolute steal, i think 1450 is even cheap

but i do get your point that is a big % price raise over last year

Yeah, but tbh how much would cost to send a MOTORBIKE by post anywhere else. I still find it unbelievable they even do it at all!
    I'm gonna make my own thread, with Blackjack and Hookers!

And the service is good, all my bikes have arrived in the same condition as when I sent them..........takes between 3 days and 1 week to get to Ranong.

Quote Originally Posted by geir View Post
    And the service is good, all my bikes have arrived in the same condition as when I sent them..........takes between 3 days and 1 week to get to Ranong.
    i'd chalk it down to they were way undercharging for that service before

sometimes i bring on a customer......and they will try and get as cheap as they can
    i want the customer, so i tell them that i will take them on at that price but will be honest with them that if it isn't working for me when factoring on costs, i can't keep that price, will have to be raised
    just maybe in Thailand it takes them a bit longer to realize they should be charging more 555

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbsy View Post
    Yeah, but tbh how much would cost to send a MOTORBIKE by post anywhere else. I still find it unbelievable they even do it at all!
    Shipped (mailed) a motorbike from Phuket to Buriram in 2011, for 2200 baht. Quite a bit further than Ranong...that was the point I was making earlier.

Still cheap on both counts though, compared to "teamster - IBT" rates! 555

Yeah, that must be at least 4 times longer. Bangkok-Ranong used to be 1500;-

Perhaps a fixed charge (packing, lifting, transport to the freight terminal etc.) then a per km rate?

And as the labour rate in Phuket has gone up markedly this has helped cause the increase?

\But they still seem to get away with it.

This is it... Pretty much.

If people dont call them out on their prices or take business elsewhere... they'll get away with it.

A garage here in Perth who were quite good in looking after my Honda Civic started charging 2 times what they used to, so I simply used another garage.

Sad thing is, the mechanic (not the owner, the bloke who did the work) was excellent, you could feel the car drive better after a service. But since then I've changed cars from a Civic to an Integra and found a JDM specific garage.

Quote Originally Posted by mjwx View Post
    This is it... Pretty much.

If people dont call them out on their prices or take business elsewhere... they'll get away with it.

A garage here in Perth who were quite good in looking after my Honda Civic started charging 2 times what they used to, so I simply used another garage.

Sad thing is, the mechanic (not the owner, the bloke who did the work) was excellent, you could feel the car drive better after a service. But since then I've changed cars from a Civic to an Integra and found a JDM specific garage.
    but if he is head and shoulders above others, you wouldn't mind paying more? maybe not twice more
    but something to be said for not just going with the cheapest available

Basic conditioning... we get used to prices as they are, then when they go up it feels like something's amiss... I've got a little Thai restaurant downstairs that used to charge 40 baht for the 2 dishes I eat most... then it was 45... then after 6 more months, it went to 55... now I'm not going to lose much sleep over 15 baht, but I will say I've cut back on how much I eat there simply because it began to feel like the prices were going up simply because I was going there... nearly 30% increase over an 8 month period. No other changes... no new furniture or paint or improvements that I could see which might justify some increases... I still get food there about once per week, but initially I was eating there daily.

Went out in Ranong yesterday........and my beloved Leos have gone up from 40 to 50 during high season......I still smiled when I payed my bill :-)

Went out in Ranong yesterday........and my beloved Leos have gone up from 40 to 50 during high season......I still smiled when I payed my bill :-)
    I drove through Ranong a couple of weeks ago and the Cactus Bar looked like it had shut down. Say it ain't so, I liked drinking in there when I stayed over in Ranong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast